7/18 event at SP & pictures

Parking lots and traffic cones.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

7/18 event at SP & pictures

Post by hepcatz »

I've posted my photos on both the CDC pool on flickr as well as my account on flickr (gohmchin). Kudos to the organizers making the best out of a less than perfect track condition. I had a lot of fun! Thanks Ed O for the pointers & you are indeed the king of the sausages. I had a blast carting with the gang afterward so the special deal was great. Thanks Ted for a sampling of Pennsylvania's finest. Haven't raced a cart since a teenager so they need to calibrate their tracking system if I supposedly came in 4th of my group! lol Glad some folks enjoyed the sun dried tomato veggie sausages, soon the dark side will get you too! =)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gohmchin/s ... 531317725/

John N
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Re: 7/18 event at SP & pictures

Post by david.valeri »

Great day all around. We had minimal issues with no-shows for course workers, nobody had any big issues at tech inspection, the weather was wonderful, and only one idiot tried to take out the timing equipment

It seems like Summit has a bit of a stigma, but I love the place.

My best run looks like chaos compared to some others.
Tedzilla
Car: '58 MGA Coupe '04 Porsche
CDC Member#: 1

Post by Tedzilla »

I want to thank all of the participants and organizers, who made today's autocross at Summit Point one of the best I can remember in a long time and the best at Summit Point, period. And thanks to the participants who did a little extra, and the organizers who handled problems before they even came up. It was pretty much a perfect day, as far as I'm concerned.

Ted (didn't have to be Tedzilla once today!)
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Dave,
Of course you loved it. You kicked my butt and I wasn't even your fastest competition. You drove like a Madman and deserved the smallbore FTD. Good Job and I look forward to trying again next week. See you at Woodbridge.
Dan
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

And happily, I beat Ted's times in my car.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

I had tons of fun today. I'm a little disappointed with my times, but I had so much fun I'll let that slide. (get the humor there?)

I dunno how many people would be in for this, as I don't know how many folks bought memberships for the karting, but I'd like to do that after we race as Summit Point again.

I haven't even looked at my camera yet. I'm slackin'. I didn't even take like 1/2 of the pictures on my camera this time, kinda sucks being in heat 2. Next time I want to be in Heat 1 or 3. :P
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Your first sentence sums it up for me too. I'd be up for further carting if we get a price break from them again. I still think we need to take carts on the skid pad course! =)
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Great day all around - great job guys on designing a course that avoided all the obstacles, and was still challenging; one day we'll actually get to use the whole track :) . The afternoon runs were sweet. The morning hot-changes seemed to be working good, up till the third heat, then things got slow - still it was faster than previous.

Ted, thanks for being patient with me while I barked about drain vents in the back.

The karts were a nice way to end the day, but man do they work you over!

Mike - Sweet run! You made that Suxass look like it was on crack!

==== let me put on my Flame-retardant suit here...ok...just in case.
I only noticed a couple of things: A black mustang in the paddock that zoomed thru several times (I don't think he was a participant, just a friend of one). And some missing workers in heat 3 at the end of the day.
-- Jason
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

I had a great time as well. I love SP because of the grip challenge. It's so much more open than other courses, but is completely negated by the grip levels and changes. Very fun and challenging indeed. The overall layout of the course was awesome- kudos to the organizers.
On a side note, I had know idea that we were getting 4 runs in the afternoon- I was never told- hence me driving down to the lot after my third run, getting out of my car, walking up the hill and realizing that there were 4 runs. :o So, I immediately ran back to my car (concentration completely broken at this point) and drove back up to the course. Hence the no point, spin out, 4th run. :shock: :? Oh well.
It was an awesome day, the weather was perfect, and it was cool watching the military guys pick off targets with hand guns at about 50-70 yards. I'm wondering how many rounds of ammo those guys went through. I will say after watching them pick off the targets- I'm glad we have guys like that on our side. :)
High on PSI
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

they announced that we would get 4 runs at the beginning of the afternoon runs for heat 1, yeah, granted if you weren't within hearing distance of the timing tent when they announced this, you woulda missed it. maybe next time they should have the person at the starting line remind the drivers that they get 4 runs this heat just to make sure everybody knows.

i have to say, one of the best things about this event was that if you waited a moment at the finish line, you could hear your time for that run, which is great because it lets you know if you're times and lines are improving or not! like in the afternoon run, i went from a 41.92 to a 41.93 (mainly because i messed up my 1st to 2nd shift.) but then when i got a 41.6X my 3rd run i knew i was getting better, and was blown away when i heard 40.79 for my last run. it really lets you know if what you're doing is working.

also...i'm beginning to feel bad for whoever is working the starting line when i am pulling away (i have the very loud scion tc) and was thinking about buying a pair of hearing protection/walkie talkie ear phones just for the starting line if anybody knows a good brand and place to order a set, let me know so that way they can protect their hearing and still hear when the course is clear to send the car.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

draxcaliber wrote: also...i'm beginning to feel bad for whoever is working the starting line when i am pulling away (i have the very loud scion tc) and was thinking about buying a pair of hearing protection/walkie talkie ear phones just for the starting line if anybody knows a good brand and place to order a set, let me know so that way they can protect their hearing and still hear when the course is clear to send the car.
I'm not trying to pain, but wouldn't a silencer or something work for your exhaust to quiet it down? Of course your Scion I don't think is any louder than some of the Cobras.
-- Jason
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

wrathe74 wrote:
draxcaliber wrote: also...i'm beginning to feel bad for whoever is working the starting line when i am pulling away (i have the very loud scion tc) and was thinking about buying a pair of hearing protection/walkie talkie ear phones just for the starting line if anybody knows a good brand and place to order a set, let me know so that way they can protect their hearing and still hear when the course is clear to send the car.
I'm not trying to pain, but wouldn't a silencer or something work for your exhaust to quiet it down? Of course your Scion I don't think is any louder than some of the Cobras.
It's not so much the loudness as it is the "pitch". Somewhat reminds me of the Focus at the Frederick TNT.
High on PSI
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

evolicious wrote:It's not so much the loudness as it is the "pitch". Somewhat reminds me of the Focus at the Frederick TNT.
I wonder if he will ever come back. He was buddies with the 800ft/lb mustang.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Before whoever runs the times, can you correct my points standing? I'm listed twice "douglas" and "doug" :(
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

First off I'd just like to say great track Ted SP is quickly becoming my favorite venue, maybe it's because I always do well up there. :P

The weather was great and the wet conditions weren't as bad as I was expecting so that made me happy.The only down thing I saw was the transition from running to working still seemed to take a while but I'm really not sure of how to fix this other then going to a Cumberland style work run setup.And thanks for all the participants who worked this time. :lol:

As for the scion. yeah a silencer that you can put in the exhaust would help some. even being at the timing tent it still seems really loud, but I have heard louder at a cdc event.

Can't wait for the next event there to bad I have to wait till september, they just keep getting better and better up there.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

I think the Noisy Scion's owner was talking about putting a second muffler inline. He's already got two resonators on it if memory serves.
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

..And how many people enjoy the kart price after the AX? I've heard one fatality on the kart track.. :o :P
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
bellykat
Car: FFR Cobra Replica
CDC Member#: 139

Post by bellykat »

WRX11 wrote:..And how many people enjoy the kart price after the AX? I've heard one fatality on the kart track.. :o :P
Do you mean the groundhog that Jake hit?
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

awptickes wrote:I think the Noisy Scion's owner was talking about putting a second muffler inline. He's already got two resonators on it if memory serves.
i have a 4-2-1 header, and 3 inch exhaust with an inline high flow cat, resonator and muffler all before the axel. i was at the shop that built it today getting a look under it, and there isn't much that can be done that won't kill its potential when i swap out the supercharger for a turbocharger since the turbo would quiet down the exhaust a bit, but adding another muffler or a chambered muffler would just add back pressure that'll increase boost lag when it is turboed.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

bellykat wrote:
WRX11 wrote:..And how many people enjoy the kart price after the AX? I've heard one fatality on the kart track.. :o :P
Do you mean the groundhog that Jake hit?
He hit it?

I spun out because I avoided it. That was my second black flag.
konkilr
Car: 1995 SUXASS LRXTi
CDC Member#: 19

Post by konkilr »

Yep I hit it. I was right behind you and it turned around right into my path. I was offered a free race for killing another nuisance to SPK.

jake
Raceday strategy: Start slow, then back off.
accentandy
Car: 99/00 hyundai accents
CDC Member#: 397

Post by accentandy »

your scion can't be any louder than the accent

i run a converter to try to quiet mine down some(and that emissions thing might be important), with the test pipe its unbearable for me and everyone else. I tried to go lighter which it is, but it is pretty loud with just a magnaflow resonator.

going to the turbo will definately quiet things down compared to what you have now.

kudos to everyone that made the event possible. I think it ran very smoothly for a cdc event. I'm used to the harry grove events with only 1 car on course at a time. I had a lot of fun, more grip would be nice but it makes it more of a challenge. Unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to make any more summit events unless my boss gets awfully friendly and gives me a saturday off.

it was nice seeing some old faces and meeting some new ones. I will try to at least get out to some of the test and tunes during the rest of the season. Until then i'll be patiently waiting for some results.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

konkilr wrote:Yep I hit it. I was right behind you and it turned around right into my path. I was offered a free race for killing another nuisance to SPK.
Haha, Had I known that, I would have done the redneck swerve instead.

My first instinct was "AHHhHHH, can't hit, must save bumper!"
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

draxcaliber wrote:
awptickes wrote:I think the Noisy Scion's owner was talking about putting a second muffler inline. He's already got two resonators on it if memory serves.
i have a 4-2-1 header, and 3 inch exhaust with an inline high flow cat, resonator and muffler all before the axel. i was at the shop that built it today getting a look under it, and there isn't much that can be done that won't kill its potential when i swap out the supercharger for a turbocharger since the turbo would quiet down the exhaust a bit, but adding another muffler or a chambered muffler would just add back pressure that'll increase boost lag when it is turboed.

sounds like a good reason to go turbo sooner. :lol:
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

Posted a few videos of Saturday's run in my car. These were my slowest times. Unfortunately I let the camera run for over 30 minutes when I went to work so the afternoon runs didn't get captured :( ...I need to remember to stop it :P

YouTube Wrathe74
-- Jason