apologies and thanks to everybody

Parking lots and traffic cones.
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Re: apologies and thanks to everybody

Post by awptickes »

My girlfriend didn't appreciate that one either.

BTW, do you have clutch slippage? I'm sure I heard your clutch slipping in places on the track.
kanundrum
Car: Saab TurboX
CDC Member#: 427

Post by kanundrum »

LMAO sheesh its a loud exhaust people get over it so what it makes exceedingly loud noise, the fact is he puts down times as fast as a good amount of AWD cars I would complain it would be moot if his times were exceedingly slow but they are not.

3" exhaust is well worth it for the supercharger just put for dam stock header back on and youll be fine
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

nah, my clutch isn't slipping, it is a clutch master's stage 3, so it should be good to around 300 whp and 300 lb-ft of torque, and i'm currently only 225 whp and 190 lb-ft. i've had it for...30k miles. should still be good. could be a noise the LSD makes, or maybe the serpentine belt squealling. it does that a bit when durring cold start-ups.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

The turbo should quiet it down considerably, so let's all just simmer down. I, too, have complained about how loud it is and am glad you're going w/ the turbo route. Hopefully it'll be a simple install. My turbo kit is nearly done and there's a few kinks to work out.

Off topic, I'm now having clutch slippage on a carbon/kevlar Competition clutch in 4th/5th gear at 14 lbs of boost for my Miata. I expect the 3" exhaust will be quieter than the Flyin' Miata exhaust for the naturally aspirated Miata. It's amazing what a turbo can do to muffle the sound.

So, basically, when you don't need to, please don't floor it unless you're racing. Everyone else, just cover your ears. :D Lord knows we felt the same way about Lawrence Casey back when his Cobra was flat-black. :lol:
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

yeah, got the injectors, air filter, and a vacuum manifold. last part i am waiting on the turbo now, got a tracking number, should arrive thursday.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

saint_foo wrote:The turbo should quiet it down considerably, so let's all just simmer down. I, too, have complained about how loud it is and am glad you're going w/ the turbo route. Hopefully it'll be a simple install. My turbo kit is nearly done and there's a few kinks to work out.

Off topic, I'm now having clutch slippage on a carbon/kevlar Competition clutch in 4th/5th gear at 14 lbs of boost for my Miata. I expect the 3" exhaust will be quieter than the Flyin' Miata exhaust for the naturally aspirated Miata. It's amazing what a turbo can do to muffle the sound.

So, basically, when you don't need to, please don't floor it unless you're racing. Everyone else, just cover your ears. :D Lord knows we felt the same way about Lawrence Casey back when his Cobra was flat-black. :lol:
ouch, that sucks. I lit up my clutch on the dyno a while ago and after that I didn't grip at all when I was in boost in anything above 2nd or 3rd from then on... I got an ACT clutch and a new flywheel and haven't had any problems with it since. what kind of pressure plate are you running?
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
eage8

Post by eage8 »

draxcaliber wrote:yeah, got the injectors, air filter, and a vacuum manifold. last part i am waiting on the turbo now, got a tracking number, should arrive thursday.
Awesome, glad to hear it's finally coming together.
-Mike #887

moto-ufo
Car: 2006 Mazda MX-5
CDC Member#: 492

Post by moto-ufo »

draxcaliber wrote:yeah, got the injectors, air filter, and a vacuum manifold. last part i am waiting on the turbo now, got a tracking number, should arrive thursday.
Exciting. Good luck w/ the install. I'm interested to hear the difference!
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

If you want help installing your turbo, I'll have time tomorrow. The only thing I have going on is I gotta put my rear coilovers in, but thats nothing.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

thanks for the support and offers to help install, but it'll be getting done at a local shop since part of the installation is fabricating the 2nd half of the downpipe, unless you have a mandrel pipe bender, and can do some welding!

sitting at home waiting for ups to come drop off the turbo, tracking number says today, and it requires a signature.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

good news everybody! the turbo is here! just signed for it! heavy thing too weighing 14-16 pounds! i can't wait for it to get installed!

shoulda seen me doing the "happy! happy! joy! joy"! dance in my room! LOL
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

draxcaliber wrote:good news everybody! the turbo is here! just signed for it! heavy thing too weighing 14-16 pounds! i can't wait for it to get installed!

shoulda seen me doing the "happy! happy! joy! joy"! dance in my room! LOL

Good news! Glad you finally have it...if it was me waiting for those parts, I think they woulda had to institutionalize me by now!

We are as excited as you! :) ... All together now..."Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy, Happy Happy Joy Joy"!
-- Jason
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

yeah, you guys might not be so happy about the quieter more powerful tC when it makes me a contender for FTD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!

granted i know it takes more than a bump in power output to bridge the 5 second gap between me and the cobras or purpose built cars.
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

The Suxass isn't a purpose built car. It's a street-car. Perfect for driving to and from work.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

and again, to the ear, the suxass is also much less annoying in tone and much quieter.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, the car is all set to go get turbo'ed on monday, i know nobody will admit it, but i know they'll miss the Silver Streak (Sonic Boom) Mica" tC. i didn't have the fastest, nicest, or most expensive car at the track, but i had the loudest one by a mile. lol

so what kinda exhaust does the suxass have? just a turbo and a straight pipe? or does it have more components? if i can get the tc to sound like the suxass i guess i'll be okay, the next step will be to get it to go as fast and handle as well.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

I am pretty sure the sux@$$ has an exhaust cut-out that can be opened or closed from inside the cabin.
This dumps the exhaust after the downpipe, bypassing any mufflers for autoX use. Mike or Jake will have to chime in with the details.

Good luck with your turbo install. More power is always a good thing. :lol:
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

It sounds like the suxass has an EWD type exhaust. Not sure though. The more competitors for FTD, the better.
Completely off topic, but I recently installed a front sway bar (right before the Fred Autox), that one item has been able to give me close to a second off of my times. My car has never felt so stable before, especially at SP.
High on PSI
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

what is "EWD type exhaust"? google and yahoo only come up with engine warning display. lol.

yeah, when i did sways on my tc, i did the TRD rear sway bar first, and it really wasn't very noticble difference in how the car felt, but when i changed to front and rear sway bars by hotchkis, it made a world of difference immediately that i could feel the first time i took a turn. gives me a huge level of confidence in the cars cornering ability.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

evolicious wrote:It sounds like the suxass has an EWD type exhaust. Not sure though. The more competitors for FTD, the better.
Completely off topic, but I recently installed a front sway bar (right before the Fred Autox), that one item has been able to give me close to a second off of my times. My car has never felt so stable before, especially at SP.
I was talking to either Mike or Jake and they said the same thing about their front sway bar, that it made a huge difference on the suxass. I have one in my garage waiting to be put on my FC, as soon as I get my radiator fixed... (the fan ate it... :( it's been at the fabricators since like Tuesday...) I'm planning to throw it on and see how much it helps.
-Mike #887

evolicious

Post by evolicious »

EWD exhaust= external wastegate dump. Not saying that the wastegate itself is external (although could be, never looked), but the airflow from the wastegate is routed to open atmosphere instead of the exhaust.
Last edited by evolicious on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on PSI
bearda
Car: 1995 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 363

Post by bearda »

Be careful about generalizing sway bar adjustments between cars with totally different drivetrain layouts. A thick front (or rear) bar affects a FWD a bit differently than a RWD car.
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

^ Of course. Definitely up to the user to figure out/do research on what will work in harmony with the rest of their setup.
High on PSI
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Gonz wrote:I am pretty sure the sux@$$ has an exhaust cut-out that can be opened or closed from inside the cabin.
This dumps the exhaust after the downpipe, bypassing any mufflers for autoX use. Mike or Jake will have to chime in with the details.

Good luck with your turbo install. More power is always a good thing. :lol:
They did use to have a cut out but it has since been removed or closed off, I forget which one, due the motor always failing. The thing is much less mean sound now with out it but it is way quieter. All though if were complaining about exhaust noise level the cobra guys need to watch how much they say, some of their cars are down right loud too.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

evolicious wrote:EWD exhaust= external wastegate dump. Not saying that the wastegate itself is external (although could be, never looked), but the airflow from the wastegate is routed to open atmosphere instead of the exhaust.
oh, so basically an open-dump waste gate versus a recirculated waste gate right? my kit is came as an open dump, but i'm planning on having it made into a recirculated dump, you know, for sake of noise control.