apologies and thanks to everybody

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Re: apologies and thanks to everybody

Post by BugBomb »

The Suxass has a Tial 44mm external wastegate that dumps to atmosphere. The wastegate has a 7psi spring that translates to about 10psi of boost on the spring alone (the boost controller will force the gate closed to achieve 22psi of boost). After the turbo, the exhaust goes through a TurboXS downpipe, 3" exhaust piping, and a TurboXS muffler. Using the high-boost mode is actually quieter on the street as you can get strong acceleration without opening the wastegate.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

bearda wrote:Be careful about generalizing sway bar adjustments between cars with totally different drivetrain layouts. A thick front (or rear) bar affects a FWD a bit differently than a RWD car.
I know, I would also say it affects cars with different suspension geometries different even more. but usually the general outcome is more or less the same. I'm mainly replacing the front bar for improved turn in response, plus getting rid of those stock plastic sway bar end-links is a big plus :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

car was dropped off this morning, depending on how the alignment of the wastegate, manifold downpipe, it may or may not be recirculated depending on ease of doing that. but people love the sound of an open dump right?
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

Careful. People like the sound of a big blower on an engine too.
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Und?

How is it going? Any pictures?
eage8

Post by eage8 »

awptickes wrote:Any pictures?
+1
-Mike #887

wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

eage8 wrote:
awptickes wrote:Any pictures?
+1

or a new sound clip :P
-- Jason
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

i haven't spoken to them since i dropped the car off, i guess no news is good news and i don't wanna be "that guy" who is calling every hour to get updates. i'll probably call them before they close up shop today and see if i need to pick it up tomorrow or possibly arrange a ride to work tomorrow.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

draxcaliber wrote:i haven't spoken to them since i dropped the car off, i guess no news is good news and i don't wanna be "that guy" who is calling every hour to get updates. i'll probably call them before they close up shop today and see if i need to pick it up tomorrow or possibly arrange a ride to work tomorrow.
lol, I'm totally that guy with the shop that's fixing my FC's radiator... but that's just because they never call me back :(

how long did they originally quote you that it would take?
-Mike #887

draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

15 hours, but it isn't just the turbocharger. remove the supercharger and header and s-pipe, install OEM serpentine belt, install turbocharger, intake manifold, custom fuel rail and return fuel system, like i said, they have to fabricate the 2nd half of my downpipe so it links the downpipe to the rest of the exhaust, install fuel injectors, also an oil change and some coolant since the radiator line has to be changed since it is routed around the supercharger and now it has to be routed around the turbo. also the kit might not have perfect fitment, so if there are changes that have to be made etc. then lastly a tuning session with an AEM F/IC.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

alright, just spoke to the shop, supercharger and related equipment is off, turbo manifold is on, turbo on, intercooler on. some fitment issues with the piping rubbing radaitor supports and frame and such, so they had to be bent and whatnot for fitment and so on, nothing major. tomorrow fuel system and intake manifold and tuning, they think it'll be done by tomorrow, i gotta call back around 1 for an update find out if i need a ride to pick it up or a ride to work. lol. i told them no need to rush, i've always believing in doing it right instead of doing it twice. so if they need until thursday or even friday i'm cool with that.
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

Be careful with an EWD type exhaust. It will sound different on any car. I've heard it on Evo's, and I can't stand it. Give's our cars about 10 or so more Whp, but what the hell is that when running 345ish? It won't make or brake you when it comes down to it. The only point of it is more HP, but if you don't have a dyno queen, WTF?, then you need to ask yourself some questions.

Sound pretty nice on the Suxass, but, definitely noticeable. To each his own. Good luck- hope it works out for you, what ever you decide.
High on PSI
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, the car should be finished today. it is going to be a dump into in the atmosphere, with a tube running it out of the engine compartment. they said that they can recirculate it, but my downpipe is HPC coated, so cutting into it and welding in the pipe could ruin the heat coating, but if i want to, i can have it done later on, but i guess we'll see how it sounds without it first, and if it is still too loud, i'll pay them another visit. they said it would be like 100 for just routing it out of the engine compartment, and 325 to recirculate it, and if i choose the first option for open dump, they'll only charge me the 225 difference if i choose to recirculate it later.

hopefully tonight i'll have the car back, and i'll try and take a video of it to share with everybody. as well as some dyno numbers that will surprise and amaze, and maybe terrify a few of you, mainly my buddy eric and his white evo that i am breathing down the neck on with my autocross times! bwahahahahahaa.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

draxcaliber wrote:well, the car should be finished today. it is going to be a dump into in the atmosphere, with a tube running it out of the engine compartment. they said that they can recirculate it, but my downpipe is HPC coated, so cutting into it and welding in the pipe could ruin the heat coating, but if i want to, i can have it done later on, but i guess we'll see how it sounds without it first, and if it is still too loud, i'll pay them another visit. they said it would be like 100 for just routing it out of the engine compartment, and 325 to recirculate it, and if i choose the first option for open dump, they'll only charge me the 225 difference if i choose to recirculate it later.

hopefully tonight i'll have the car back, and i'll try and take a video of it to share with everybody. as well as some dyno numbers that will surprise and amaze, and maybe terrify a few of you, mainly my buddy eric and his white evo that i am breathing down the neck on with my autocross times! bwahahahahahaa.
Awesome! Can't wait to see/hear the video! :)
-- Jason
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, car is still not quite done. as i predicted the s-pipe is a major PITA to weld and piece together since t has to go down up over and around basically the front axle of the car and have clearances, and when the stock s-pipe is 2.25 inches or maybe alittle smaller and the one i need is 3 inchs, it has to be made with care.

but all the hardware should be finished installing tonight, and then it'll get dyno'ed first thing in the morning so it'll be ready before noon. hopefully! especially since i actually need a car for catering at work tomorrow night!!! heres hopeing for a good session on the dyno tomorrow!
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Good luck! wish the best results for you. That car should be extremely fun to drive- not sure about the autox responsiveness that's required, but none the less, fun as hell to drive.
High on PSI
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

AUUUUGGGHHH!!!!

so all the hardware is installed on the car fitted all the old parts are off and...the tuner isn't there!!! so the car is just sitting there waiting for a tune until monday.

they said they would street tune it for me, but then they said they wouldn't feel comfortable releasing the car to me without a proper tune so i have to wait until monday. good news is that the car idles fine when they were warming it up to put coolant in it, and it revs up to 3000 rpms without breaking up too badly, so yay i guess for that.

going tomorrow with kanundrum to check it out, take pictures. but man, i feel like such a bum asking for rides from friends, family and co-workers.
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

draxcaliber wrote:... but man, i feel like such a bum asking for rides from friends, family and co-workers.
Don't worry...I'm sure as soon as you get your car back, you'll be the envy...and they'll all want rides from you! :)
-- Jason
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, went to the shop today just to take a look at everything and man, i was floored. they did an amazing job. in addition to the return fuel system, they were even cool enough to tuck and hide my injector lines and cables and everything so it is nice and clean, they even tucked the hoses for my gauges they installed last year too. they worked overtime on that thing and it really shows. heck, they're even making me an engine cover since my factory one won't fit with all the new equipment on it, i think the fuel rail is in the way now. so they are making one, painting it black to match the turbo plumbing, and then putting their logo on it. oh yeah, we fired it up and listened to it idle (still not tuned), and it is kinda hard to gauge the noise change since it was inside the shop, but it sounds much much deeper and less tinny, kanundrum says it sounds like a wrx alittle now. so it sounded kinda loud, but it was idling high and is untuned. we shall see how it comes out monday!

oh, and for all the people who question my exhaust, here is a picture of it from underneath, as you can see the high flow cat, resonator and muffler, all inline:

evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Very clean install! Hope the tune goes well. No reason why it shouldn't.
High on PSI
eage8

Post by eage8 »

awesome, it looks good :D

I'll have to poke around inside your engine bay at the next auto-x. what turbo are you using?

My corolla's engine swap should be done soon, I'll have to bring it to the next auto-x I'm at and give you some fwd competition :p: I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near as quick though... at least until I borrow some decent tires for it and get an LSD :P
-Mike #887

wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

Awesome Turbo, nice job...where'd they put the engine :P
-- Jason
awptickes

Post by awptickes »

Is that a legal power-adder? :D lol.

Looks really good, like to should be a well-engineered turbokit.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

i am running a garrett GT3071R turbo with a .82 a/r and a gt28 compressor cover. speaking with the vendor who made my kit, he said it should give me a very broad powerband for autocross even though the a/r is pretty big, we'll just have to see.

and yeah, i'll be glad to show it off at the next autocross, guess when i park in the pits i'll have to leave the hood propped open for easy viewing.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

wrathe74 wrote:Awesome Turbo, nice job...where'd they put the engine :P
bah, where'd they put the engine, my 2azfe is bigger than your ka20dwhatever, you have a puny 2 liter while i have a mighty 2.4 liter tower of power! bwahahahahaa