Post by evolicious »

You're car's "name" is a little redundant now. Scion Tc Tc
High on PSI
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Re: apologies and thanks to everybody

Post by draxcaliber »

the car will be a T/C'ed Scion tC or turbocharged scion tC.

anyway, good news and bad news, you can read them in which ever order you prefer

GOOD NEWS: the car sounds great, it go onto the dyno today and it durring the tuning it sounds very deep and nice, an standing behind it, you can still hold a conversatain, granted you'll be talking alittle loud, but it can and was done. i can't wait to hear it out on the street.

BAD NEWS: well, this is only bad news for me really, for some reason the aem f/ic and PnP harness i supplied is having a small problem, it isn't getting any MAP reading at all when they ran it on my tC, and this is ofcourse extremely important to know for tuning purposes. my friend was there with his turbo tc, and he too has the same units, and his was working just fine, they plugged into his and it was sending out the MAP reading, and for some reason mine isn't. all we can figure is there is a resister that it needs or whatever, maybe a bad wire connection in the harness and hope to have it tuned and ready by 1 pm tomorow.

sigh. such a disapointment, i was all excited to see my car moving and running on the dyno, and then the tuner wasn't able to get the job done because of something i supplied. annoyingly, the piggyback ECU and harness are parts i've had saved for like over a year now, so it isn't like i can send it back for a warranty issue, also, not like i wanna wait on it. i want my car ready now. sigh...
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, the car is back in my possession, but it still needs some work. the problem with tuning was first, there were some transistor modifications that had to be made to the harness to clean up the signals, then we were running into a cooling problem with the car needing to cool down after each pull on the dyno. i had to use the set of slim fit fans that came with the turbo kit because the turbo and downpipe are close to the plastic factory fans and shroud, but the slim fans i got are pretty much garbage, they don't even have a brand name on them anywhere, not even a logo on them or the boxes they came in. also, the factory radiator is skinny, literally about the width of your finger.but it looks thicker since the shroud covers it up so well.

so right now we're exploring a custom cooling set up for the car. firstly taking measurements to try and fit the radiator further forward from the engine, also, shorter and thicker, and building a shroud for it, and fitting higher quality fans. BUT when showing the car to a buddy, i noticed my coolant reservoir was empty, so we topped it off with genuine BMW coolant and water, hopefully that was the source of the problem.

so unless i get these problems nipped in the butt, i might not make it to the next autocross. sadly, i'm only pushing 8 psi right now (the supercharger was at 9.5 psi at redline) and i'm making nearly the same WHP, but probably more torque. and driving it around, the car doesn't feel much more powerful.

but you guys will love the exhaust, it really does kinda have a WRX sound to it, very nice, and it is so much quieter that 1. i've seen more deer in one night than i have in the past year since getting this exhaust, and 2. my friends are having trouble believing that the turbo alone is making the car this quiet. they're shocked at how quieter and deeper it got.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

oh, and the other problem is the tuning, the problem is that it keeps dying at idle, and hesitating when moving away from a stop. very annoying, needs some fine tuning which i'm going back for on thursday.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

and here are some video's for everybody to enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5_K4RXhrQ

much quieter and better sounding!
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

draxcaliber wrote:and here are some video's for everybody to enjoy!

much quieter and better sounding!
those are 2 of the same link^

also, I can't really tell if it's quieter or not because I have nothing to gauge the volume settings by :P
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
ScoobyDoo
Car: 1972 Mystery Machine
CDC Member#: 499

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I can't wait to hear it in person. From the video it sounds like it grew some balls.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

whoops, here's the 2nd video i meant to post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuVxUHQI44

now, for comparision, keep your volume settings the same so you can gain perspective a little, remember, this was shot from a distance up on the hill at summit point while the previous videos were shot right next to the car, and yet the camera woman wasn't overwhelmed by the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RFaiKu-LA

let me assure you guys that it is so much quieter. driving at cruising speed, it sounds as loud as it did when i just had a cold air intake, and just an axelback muffler on it. i almost felt like i had hearing loss cuz the exhaust sounds sooooo muffled, but then when i turned on my radio to the normal settings i've been using for the past year, it was waaayyy too loud. so if i make it to the next autocross, i'm sure you guys will be very happy with it.
accentandy
Car: 99/00 hyundai accents
CDC Member#: 397

Post by accentandy »

1st off I never thought your car was all that loud. I've heard plenty of loud vehicles and yours makes it halfway up my scale of loud.

glad to hear your turbo install went well. the install looks very professional.
your turbocharging a car that was never meant to be turbocharged, its going to have some teething problems. I've been there and done that. hope everything goes well with the tuning.

After you get your car running right it might be good to invest in some real tires before you ever start shooting for ftd. you need to worry about beating an 85 hp hyundai before you start shooting for the cobras :)

keep up the good work and remember to keep driving it matters much more than hp
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

well, the car is running very rough right now, it struggles to idle, if idle at all right now, and it overheats when it isn't moving. because it kept overheating on the dyno, it hasn't had a proper tuning session, so the new radiator and shroud arrive on friday, install on monday, and they're also going to trouble shoot it to get it to idle hopefully. i might bring the car out on tuesday to watch and ride along with people, and show off the kit.
draxcaliber

Post by draxcaliber »

good news everybody, just about everything with the car has been ironed out! the car is now race ready so everybody better look out at the next event! lol.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

draxcaliber wrote:good news everybody, just about everything with the car has been ironed out! the car is now race ready so everybody better look out at the next event! lol.
congrats! bet your happy. Look forward to to seeing it in Novembers race!
-- Jason