Nationals Results

Parking lots and traffic cones.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Nationals Results

Post by FredK »

The complete results from the SCCA nationals are posted.. 1200 competitors over four days on two courses. The event ended a couple of hours ago, every run accounted for. Is their a lesson here? Of course they had live results streaming as the event unfolded. FredK
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Re: Nationals Results

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

don't sugar coat it Fred, what are you trying to say? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
FredK

Post by FredK »

Just thinking out loud, again.
bellykat
Car: FFR Cobra Replica
CDC Member#: 139

Post by bellykat »

Confucius say, grammar-check necessity for the cocksure...
"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
J. Clarkson
FredK

Post by FredK »

Quite a few locals in the mix. I'm not sure if the link works without a logon, but here it is.
http://www.scca.com/popup/raceresult.as ... 5&file=854
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

SCCA must have resources CDC doesn't have........ like full time paid employees, etc :lol:
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

http://sololive.scca.com/

I've been monitoring the results as well. John W (Buttdyno) placed well in STX, he shows up to CDC every now and then. Travis F (ProDarwin) was supposed to co-drive, but couldn't get out of work. I will continue to give him a hard time. A lot of other SCCA/AI locals did pretty well; Sam Strano and Karen Kraus won their class. Shane C and Josh L placed mid pack against some pretty good competition in their first shot at Nats.

Going to Lincoln for Nats is on my list of things to do before I die (or get married). I just need to build a competitive SCCA car first.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

if the CDC was run like the SCCA autocrosses i would stop coming to events :)

Next thing you know people are going to want mandatory $45 dollar rule books LOL.
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Maybe we could get FredK to do results one event? Probably get them up before sunrise the next morning! :D
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

We can probably get the results posted within an hour of the event.

So what would it take? It would require someone to start tabulating the results with all the participants during the morning with all the participants on a separate laptop. Then in the afternoon, someone would have to work on data entry for all the best times during the afternoon.

Currently during the day, our organizers are busy working the grill, getting the grid set, sending cars, working the timing tent, and instructing drivers. In the afternoon in the later heats, the organizers start cleaning up, take down the tent, and prepare to pack up. In short, we want to get out of the lot as soon as possible after the last car runs. If anyone is willing to start the results during the event, let me know.

Our long term goal is to use a barcode reader to electronically enter the cars running. Joe Seward's timing system already supports this goal, and when we get it all on-line, participants will be able to see in real-time the results, leading participants, and participant times as they are running.

Ed
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Joe Seward's timing system is nothing short of amazing. The result so far is just impressive - but the next level (barcode scanner) will not only be flexible and paperless, but when you consider the amount of money that it has cost CDC versus a pre-made system, there is simply no comparison.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

if i had to choose between sausages or same day scoring, i would have to go with the sausages lol :) YUMMMO
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

For a moment there in Street Touring Class...I thought it was a typo...36 almost identical cars - 1989 Civic SI wow...and an RSX came in last place 10sec slower than Bill Bounds in 1st :(

I think I need to run next year, if at least to get the RSX back into a respectable position -- or, does anyone have an 89' Civic SI??? lol
-- Jason
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

echan wrote:We can probably get the results posted within an hour of the event.

So what would it take? It would require someone to start tabulating the results with all the participants during the morning with all the participants on a separate laptop. Then in the afternoon, someone would have to work on data entry for all the best times during the afternoon.
I think Fred volunteered for the job when he started this thread. :) For the record, I like to see results sooner too but I've kept my mouth shut (hands off the keyboard?) since I didn't want to do the work.

defylogik wrote:if the CDC was run like the SCCA autocrosses i would stop coming to events :)

Next thing you know people are going to want mandatory $45 dollar rule books LOL.
don't start scaring people away from scca. the mandatory rule book is only for national events. and there is only one national event in DC. and there is a cheaper alternative - a waiver form. i like cdc AND scca. it doesn't have to be a us vs. them mentality that so many take on this forum. why can't we all just get along?
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

the rule book is kind of a scam. The waiver isn't bad--$20 and works for all nat'l events (two next year in DC...ProSolo and NE Divisional). It's more of a $20/year 'national event fee', which I wouldn't have a problem with if they'd just call it that and skip the rulebook nonsense.

I really also don't get the us vs them... I mean, yes it's 2009, so everything on the interwebs has to be a war, but I began autocrossing last year with SCCA and always enjoyed it. When first I came here this season, I didn't enjoy the air of hostility towards an organization that did a lot for me. different clubs for different purposes...
"Opinionated"
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

wrathe74 wrote:I think I need to run next year, if at least to get the RSX back into a respectable position -- or, does anyone have an 89' Civic SI??? lol
http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/370110.aspx

I wouldn't pay 7.5... if you can find a good car, prepping it yourself has to be cheaper. No savings on development since the formula for that car is pretty well proven by now. That said, if you can get him down to 6, 6.5... that's a turnkey evo/sti/anything-on-street-tires beater (heck, it wouldve won everything up until CS).

Come out to nats anyway! Most fun I've had autocrossing...you couldn't walk 10 feet without tripping over really cool machinery, and the caliber of the drivers was amazing.
"Opinionated"
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

edfooliu wrote:
wrathe74 wrote:I think I need to run next year, if at least to get the RSX back into a respectable position -- or, does anyone have an 89' Civic SI??? lol
http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/370110.aspx
Come out to nats anyway! Most fun I've had autocrossing...you couldn't walk 10 feet without tripping over really cool machinery, and the caliber of the drivers was amazing.
Well it was Nationals or Disney World...and since I have a family...Disney World won...this year. However I was drooling at all the pics...looked like a lot of fun!
-- Jason
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

edfooliu wrote:the rule book is kind of a scam. The waiver isn't bad--$20 and works for all nat'l events (two next year in DC...ProSolo and NE Divisional). It's more of a $20/year 'national event fee', which I wouldn't have a problem with if they'd just call it that and skip the rulebook nonsense.

I call it the "make a friend who owns a rulebook" task before registration.

By the way, I'm planning to make a go at ProSolo next year doing all events within 600 miles plus Lincoln. My regular co-driver is thinking no. Anyone interested in sharing costs and driving a well prepared C Stock Miata, let me know.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Well the reason results for Nats. are posted so fast is because they have so many different things going on over the course of a few days. They need to have results posted quick so they can hand out trophies the same day...Just look at WDCR, on average they have results up in about 2 days, not that much faster than most CDC results. One of the things that WDCR/AI do with results that I'd like to see with CDC is post all run times, not just the best run time. It's great to see your best run and clearly that's the one that counts for points or w/e, but seeing how you and others did throughout the day is a plus. Like seeing if someone's raw time beat your best clean time but they had a cone and didn't beat you because of the 2sec penalty.

I agree with people bashing SCCA events too. I don't really understand it. Yes the regions are more competitive than CDC, but that's part of what makes it so much fun. I think the classes scare people away but it really shouldn't. They are there if you want to be competitive, not to rule you out or anything. Many people run with the SCCA with no intentions of competition, they just run in the class their car falls into and have fun, nothing different than just running at a CDC event. I started with the SCCA and if it weren't for it, I honestly probably would never have found out about CDC. Many people that run at CDC run SCCA events too..
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

I think all the CDC organizers respect the program that SCCA puts on. Many of us compete in SCCA events ourselves and we see many of CDC participants also enjoy SCCA events. That's totally fine. Each club has their pluses and minuses. We obviously pour much of our energy into CDC, which leaves little left over for other activities including those events hosted by other clubs. But that is why it is so great to be a competitor with options to go where he/she chooses. I think certain CDC members get defensive when people ask us to just do things the way SCCA does them as though it was automatically a better way for our club and with little thought about how difficult it is to get there with the extremely limited resources at our disposal. We do not wish to compete with SCCA on a commodity level because we know we can't win therefore, rightly or wrongly, we do many things our own "special" way. We understand that things aren't always perfect but we do strive to continuously improve while managing the growth of the club. Just like any organization we have turnover amongst organizers and we sometimes struggle to find people willing and able to be dedicated organizers with the right attitudes and to get them up to speed on our processes. Hopefully one day soon all the planning and hard work will come together with a complete functioning package that integrates registration, time keeping, score keeping, and results reporting.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:One of the things that WDCR/AI do with results that I'd like to see with CDC is post all run times, not just the best run time. It's great to see your best run and clearly that's the one that counts for points or w/e, but seeing how you and others did throughout the day is a plus. Like seeing if someone's raw time beat your best clean time but they had a cone and didn't beat you because of the 2sec penalty.
+1, I saw that in the AI results I was looking at and thought it was cool. I like being able to compare different runs. I don't think it would be too much more work either, because if you enter in all the time you can just have excel pick out the fastest one with a formula.

I also don't understand why everyone hates other clubs so much either, I'll be doing my first AI event on the 10th ( :o sorry CDC...) and I'm looking forward to it. The only thing I don't like so far is that it costs a lot more than cdc... We'll see how it goes. Their SSM class doesn't seem to look very competitive.. :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
MicaCeli
Car: 1987 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 231

Post by MicaCeli »

So much hatred for the SCCA....Makes me a sad panda.

The only thing that I hate about the SCCA is that there are allot of VERY fast drivers in our region. It's hard to be on top but it does drive you to be better and learn more. I mean they run 200-260 cars in one day with a HUGE course.

CDC is much more relaxed and much more intimate, you get to know people from every class.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

eage8 wrote:+1, I saw that in the AI results I was looking at and thought it was cool. I like being able to compare different runs. I don't think it would be too much more work either, because if you enter in all the time you can just have excel pick out the fastest one with a formula.
6x the amount of manual data entry is not a lot of extra work? It sounds to me like you just volunteered yourself to do the results for this Saturday's auto-x!
FredK

Post by FredK »

I'm hesitant to comment...but. It shouldn't be manual labor. I run with every group in the area and beyond. No one has paper time slips, run order doesn't matter, all the runs are in the results. The second slowest group posting is NRR in Cumberland, and I always have all the results from both weekend days by Monday morning. SCCA, AI, PCA founders, and Capitol, BMW, all have the complete results out by the time I finish my dinner the night of the event. SCCA here doesn't pay their organizers...CDC does.

I always enjoy the CDC events, especially in Frederick, even when they are overbooked, end at 6PM, and never see the results. I appreciate and understand the challenges of running these events...I'm just sayin. Some one off timing system might be great, but . Why not just do what ever it is everyone else does? Money? My feeling are and have always been, get normal AX software and timing, get time display/s, require prepayment at registration, keep the food, (I'll even help cook it), use the lower lot at Bowie, dump the skid pad.

Please don't over value my feelings, they are about at a level 2 in terms of how passionately I feel about this, and it's on a scale of 100.
FredK
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

kyle.bowker wrote:
eage8 wrote:+1, I saw that in the AI results I was looking at and thought it was cool. I like being able to compare different runs. I don't think it would be too much more work either, because if you enter in all the time you can just have excel pick out the fastest one with a formula.
6x the amount of manual data entry is not a lot of extra work? It sounds to me like you just volunteered yourself to do the results for this Saturday's auto-x!
I'm not complaining at all, please don't take it that way. I also wouldn't mind helping with the results. One thing I have never understood though is that why have the paper slips at all? if you just recorded the times onto an excel spreadsheet in the first place instead of the paper sheets there would be 0x the amount of manual data entry.

I won't be at the next 2 auto-crosses, but after that, I'll talk to Ed about possibly helping with the results.

-Mike
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD