'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
maddoc
Car: 1991 Miata
CDC Member#: 725

Re: 09/19 Summit Point

Post by maddoc »

no one got a picture of my turd... must be because I had a non-member noob number :( :P
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

maddoc wrote:no one got a picture of my turd... must be because I had a non-member noob number :( :P
that or most of the guys taking photos were in your heat racing or working. i don't think they care if you're a member or not, action shots of cars are taken for the fun and memories.
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

no one took any of mine either. but that's ok. :) no biggie for me!!

i'd say driving the fit is a lot like driving an older civic. my wife has an 08 sport and i did a track day with it. it was very nice and controllable.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

NAautoxer wrote:no one took any of mine either. but that's ok. :) no biggie for me!!

i'd say driving the fit is a lot like driving an older civic. my wife has an 08 sport and i did a track day with it. it was very nice and controllable.
Was that out at summit point at one of the last SCCA days? There was a fit out there last time and man was that thing tearing up the track :) I was most impressed for something that small and mini-van'ish :) I think it might have been following me when the drift king 240sx missed the apex onto the front straight and head first'd the tire wall.
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
maddoc
Car: 1991 Miata
CDC Member#: 725

Post by maddoc »

draxcaliber wrote: that or most of the guys taking photos were in your heat racing or working. i don't think they care if you're a member or not, action shots of cars are taken for the fun and memories.
Mainly meant as a joke. :D
NAautoxer

Post by NAautoxer »

defylogik wrote:
NAautoxer wrote:no one took any of mine either. but that's ok. :) no biggie for me!!

Was that out at summit point at one of the last SCCA days? There was a fit out there last time and man was that thing tearing up the track :) I was most impressed for something that small and mini-van'ish :) I think it might have been following me when the drift king 240sx missed the apex onto the front straight and head first'd the tire wall.

sorry, NASA fanboy here. :) it was last years' hyperfest. :) she wouldn't let me run it for more than just the hyperdrive session, but it was a good 20 minute session. and very enjoyable for being 100% stock..
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

If you look through all my photos from this year, you'll notice I actually focus on non-member/newbie cars and miatas. :)
maddoc wrote:no one got a picture of my turd... must be because I had a non-member noob number :( :P
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

maybe i should start racing the capri here at CDC, next time at the auto cross, just to see what kind of times it puts out
(joke for anyone who saw me floor it)
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Hey guys/gals,

I finished the results last night and emailed them late to Kyle, our webmaster. Sorry for the delay, but I was sick as a dog (still fighting a cold).

Just in case anyone wonders why it takes so long, here's what's involved:

1) sort timesheets, check for indexes (if missing....look them up or guess - VERY TIME CONSUMING), check for aliases and small bore series. The aliasing slows things down b/c you need to make sure that when you add the points to the season standings, you don't have different entries for the same person. For example, hepcatz mentioned that he was listed under 2 different names...so had to merge and make sure I didn't mess it up.

2) Get the correct spreadsheet to update. I couldn't do this at work b/c of security stuff, so started the spreadsheet stuff Monday evening when I got home (prepped the paper timesheets at work). Updating the spreadsheet means creating a new workbook for the event date (copy from previous) and replacing the names/times/indexes with what's on paper (very tedious manual labor). PLUS, you need to make sure you don't screw up any formulas (I'm sure Kyle will come back and let me know that I did screw something up).

3) Also, you've got to add folks to the small-bore series. If someone forgot to mark their name, we try to do so. Also, sometimes we miss a name (hey, we're human!).

4) If everything looks good, add info to the season overall standings. So we need to create a new entry for the event, add the points to the correct name or alias (over 300 names - some folks participating just once). If we have 80 names to go through, it takes awhile.

5) Finally, do a little checking to make sure everything looks fine, then email to the webmaster (Kyle). Depending on his schedule, it might take a little bit, too...especially if we send it while he's at work.

So, kudos to those folks that get it posted within a day or two! I've sucked twice and I apologize.

Humbly yours,

Ed O
NAautoxer

Post by NAautoxer »

hey no problem ed! just adds to the suspense! i should have probably entered into small bore with my civic; might have to next year. i'll be sure to harass kyle when i see him online. :)

btw, i, like many others, appreciate the time all the volunteers put into this. i've seen what an incredible effort it takes and applaud you.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

The results from the Saturday, September 19th, 2009 auto-x at the Washington Circuit in Summit Point, WV have been uploaded to the website. You may view the results in Microsoft Excel .xls or Adobe Acrobat .pdf format by going to the Results page and selecting the appropriate link. Please contact the event’s head organizer, Ted Joseph (ted.joseph (at) capitaldrivingclub.com), or Ed O. (saint_foo) with any questions or corrections.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

NAautoxer wrote:hey no problem ed! just adds to the suspense! i should have probably entered into small bore with my civic; might have to next year. i'll be sure to harass kyle when i see him online. :)

btw, i, like many others, appreciate the time all the volunteers put into this. i've seen what an incredible effort it takes and applaud you.

Did you run w/ an Integra this event? Usually if you contact Ed Chan right after the event, he can tell you who's doing the results. John Chang is pretty darn quick, so you might not get changes in time for posting. If it's something simple like adding to the small bore, it's minimal amount of changes. Changing something in the series is a bit more work since people's points shift and you need to verify that everyone affected was changed correctly. Yes you can use macros or something like that...but it still requires someone to eyeball it afterwards.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

No worries, take your time! Thanks for your hard work (to all) involved with computing and posting the results. I write down my times at the events so I always know what I did & to me it is more a competition with myself than against others. I'm definately improving and might actually give away that I am really the Stig by getting too good of times... :D
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

hepcatz wrote:No worries, take your time! Thanks for your hard work (to all) involved with computing and posting the results. I write down my times at the events so I always know what I did & to me it is more a competition with myself than against others. I'm definately improving and might actually give away that I am really the Stig by getting too good of times... :D
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

I told you stickers=HP! :)
flohtingPoint wrote:
hepcatz wrote:No worries, take your time! Thanks for your hard work (to all) involved with computing and posting the results. I write down my times at the events so I always know what I did & to me it is more a competition with myself than against others. I'm definately improving and might actually give away that I am really the Stig by getting too good of times... :D
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

hepcatz wrote:I told you stickers=HP! :)
flohtingPoint wrote:
I'm so driving that van at next Summit...
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

wow, so i was the 3rd fastest front wheel drive car there. sounds like i did pretty good, cept the 2 front wheel drive cars that beat me were about 2 seconds ahead of me which is huge. guess i need more practice...
BCAM
Car: EvoX
CDC Member#: 271

Post by BCAM »

new-guy-question:

Are there plans for other classes other than the small bore?

It's definitely easier to post points w/o true classes especially as related to minimizing effort and the CDC philosophy of "...everybody is mixed together. We feel this mixing of different cars and drivers better promotes a fun, friendly, and social atmosphere."

While I am all for promoting a fun atmosphere, how do you gauge driver modification (improve the driver first right!?) with a point system that is standardized by and rewards the racecars running street tires at 37seconds? The current index system can't. I'm pretty sure the crazy Evo IX track-worker-killer was in a different class than my stock X even though our tire/hp/weight indexes were identical.

Thanks for listening ;)

Brandon
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

BCAM wrote: While I am all for promoting a fun atmosphere, how do you gauge driver modification (improve the driver first right!?) with a point system that is standardized by and rewards the racecars running street tires at 37seconds? The current index system can't. I'm pretty sure the crazy Evo IX track-worker-killer was in a different class than my stock X even though our tire/hp/weight indexes were identical.
You can't, really... at least not very precisely. If the ultimate goal of the index system was to normalize vehicle advantages/disadvantages, it would _very_ quickly become unwieldly and (IMO) could never fully put everyone on an equal playing field for driver-to-driver comparison.

Look to the SCCA for a more comprehensive classing system...and even that won't solve the problem. Just read on sccaforums the endless debates around which cars go into which classes (in the subjective, performance-potential based classes like Stock) or which modifications should be allowed in others (in the objective, formula-based classes like Street Touring). Even within a class, you could have identically-outfitted/equipped cars with very different performance capabilities simply by having different setups.

It's a difficult problem, and it's one that I don't think CDC _ought_ to take on. CDC to me is about kicking back with some friends and comparing times against them or cars I _think_ are of similar prep level. If you want to gauge yourself against competition, run some SCCA events or compare times with people who prep their cars to a similar level (SCCA class or otherwise)--again, with the caveat that such comparison is still flawed. IMO just pick a target near the top and see how you close the gap over time...

speaking of crazy-track-worker-killing, video of that run by Danny here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLUF3DNGf8

our cleaner runs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glfWgWvkgr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxO-gFPT5sY

-ed (had the odd experience of fleeing from the car he codrove...didn't realize the competition had gotten so ruthless :twisted: )
"Opinionated"
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

BCAM wrote:nI'm pretty sure the crazy Evo IX track-worker-killer was in a different class than my stock X even though our tire/hp/weight indexes were identical.
I was one the track-worker-killer Evo IX guys and I apologize. This is my first time driving the Evo this year and it didn't go as smooth as I like... :oops:

The only item that CDC doesn't handicap is the suspension setup. My Evo has a real mild tune with no boost changes, but my co-driver worked on suspension tuning for the last three years and finally got the car dialed in enough to complete Nationally in STU. (Trophied in both 2008 and 2009 SCCA Nationals) To be frank, without a diet, R-comps and suspension changes, a Stock Evo X will not stand a chance with comparable drivers against an EVO IX fully prepped.

It would be very interesting to prep a X for STU to see what it could do. There was one at the Nationals but it didn't do very well. If you are interested I can discuss how I set up my car in the last few years with you offline; and maybe some of the thinking can be used for you to setup your X if you are interested. It would be truly nice to see what a properly prepped X can do again the old ones. :mrgreen:
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

Oh, by the way, A stock Evo X is in A-Stock in SCCA, which has a higher PAX multiplier than STU, which makes it more unfair than CDC. :lol:
BCAM

Post by BCAM »

dannykao wrote:
BCAM wrote:nI'm pretty sure the crazy Evo IX track-worker-killer was in a different class than my stock X even though our tire/hp/weight indexes were identical.
I was one the track-worker-killer Evo IX guys and I apologize. This is my first time driving the Evo this year and it didn't go as smooth as I like... :oops:

The only item that CDC doesn't handicap is the suspension setup. My Evo has a real mild tune with no boost changes, but my co-driver worked on suspension tuning for the last three years and finally got the car dialed in enough to complete Nationally in STU. (Trophied in both 2008 and 2009 SCCA Nationals) To be frank, without a diet, R-comps and suspension changes, a Stock Evo X will not stand a chance with comparable drivers against an EVO IX fully prepped.

It would be very interesting to prep a X for STU to see what it could do. There was one at the Nationals but it didn't do very well. If you are interested I can discuss how I set up my car in the last few years with you offline; and maybe some of the thinking can be used for you to setup your X if you are interested. It would be truly nice to see what a properly prepped X can do again the old ones. :mrgreen:
It's all good man, truly humble of you to apologize ;) You had some really nice lines out there btw :twisted:
Yeah the X definitely needs to go on a diet and she will. The SP event was the first time that I had her out; wanted to see how she handled stock. She's a bit portly but that can be taken care of... :geek:

I'd love to chat about setup man. That would be fantastic.
To be frank, without a diet, R-comps and suspension changes, a Stock Evo X will not stand a chance with comparable drivers against an EVO IX fully prepped.
This is hitting on my point on my previous post. Those who only have the resources(be it cash or whatever) to modify themselves as drivers have no way of ever truly competing; in CDC at least...
BCAM

Post by BCAM »

dannykao wrote:Oh, by the way, A stock Evo X is in A-Stock in SCCA, which has a higher PAX multiplier than STU, which makes it more unfair than CDC. :lol:
Point the way over there and i'll tell them how to run things... :roll:
haha
It was more of an overarching philosophical question that one that was related to my own situation...I was just out to learn the car a bit before the SP trackdaze event on the Shenandoah Circuit...
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

BCAM wrote: This is hitting on my point on my previous post. Those who only have the resources(be it cash or whatever) to modify themselves as drivers have no way of ever truly competing; in CDC at least...
You get used to it. It gets worse when the cobras show up, then it's like bringing a pinto to an XP fight. I know FTD is well out of the range for my Corolla, but I basically know who is around my cars capabilities and I try to take better times than them.