09/19 Summit Point

Parking lots and traffic cones.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

09/19 Summit Point

Post by hepcatz »

Here's a link to some photos from today's event at Summit Point. I've also added them to the group pool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gohmchin/s ... 288261641/

Wow, I really that it was a great layout! best so far at this location. I know some folks wouldn't agree but I think it is a great local and I hope we are able to keep it next year, I know it isn't cheap. Glad to have some cdc stickers. Thanks to all the organizers. It was great to have a couple extra fun runs too.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Re: 09/19 Summit Point

Post by Imprezive_04 »

I love the venue as well and hope it makes it into next year's schedule. Today's course wasn't engine friendly for me. On the rev limiter headed into the slalom, again exiting the slalom and headed into the sweeper, and yet again exiting the sweeper and headed into the right hander with the painted curb. Could have used a another 500+ rpm.

Still fun though!
Ryan P
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

Very fun course indeed. Good job to the organizers who kept everything moving so smoothly and efficiently. The mirror at the starting line should be a permanent fixture IMO.
High on PSI
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Yeah it was a good time. My first time out on the skid pad and it makes me wish I went to previous SP events. That slick pavement is exactly what I needed to practice flicking the car around.

My vid from today, last run is the best if you want to just skip the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADQJWJ3Seg
evolicious wrote:Very fun course indeed. Good job to the organizers who kept everything moving so smoothly and efficiently. The mirror at the starting line should be a permanent fixture IMO.
Yeah the mirror was nice, plus 1 for keeping it.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Yeah it was a good time. My first time out on the skid pad and it makes me wish I went to previous SP events. That slick pavement is exactly what I needed to practice flicking the car around.

.... didn't I tell you :P!!

Glad you came out, its was great having some competition in my class again :)

The mirror at the start line was GREAT! Thanks Woody!!!!
-- Jason
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:plus 1
a little bit out of context, but nevertheless add a plus 1 to AJ's time.

. . . and what? no results yet?!!!??? :twisted: hee hee, i'm only kidding.
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

+1 to the mirror. Genius.

Slick, inconsistent grip + first time driving a car with more power than tire = fun times had by all (except for the car's owner who had to watch me nearly lose it down the entire slalom).

Great driving by Jason and AJ...slugging it out well above your weight class. It seems a massive vehicular advantage wasn't enough for me to extend a dominating lead... definitely can't come back to the class with that shame ;)
"Opinionated"
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

wrathe74 wrote:
AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Yeah it was a good time. My first time out on the skid pad and it makes me wish I went to previous SP events. That slick pavement is exactly what I needed to practice flicking the car around.

.... didn't I tell you :P!!

Glad you came out, its was great having some competition in my class again :)

The mirror at the start line was GREAT! Thanks Woody!!!!
Yeah man it was nice. I knew you could beat me! Not sure what FTD was but you might be close to first on index. I'm just psyched that I dropped over 2 seconds from my first run and beat my goal of 39.9x. Now all I have to do is put what I learned on this slick pavement to some grippy pavement and I'll be happy.
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

yeah, the mirror was great, now all the starting line has to do is let the drivers know when it is safe to proceed.

also that radio station was awful! too much dead air! and very short broadcast range! :lol: jk, it was great being able to hear my times for sure after a run, and also compare times to other peoples times while waiting for the next run.

yeah, i was shocked at how much speed i picked up on the first half of the course. i hit my rev limitor soo fast on my 2nd run on, the first time it happened i double checked to make sure i didn't forget to shift from 1st to 2nd.

i spent time debating whether i should consider popping it into 3rd for a moment with the bouncing i did off the rev limitor, but i decided against it because i didn't want to upset the cars balance during the upshift and downshift thru the shalom, then the thought that i might downshift too fast and too early and over-rev the engine by mistake. then i listened to the suxass and i heard them bouncing off the rev limiter on all their runs that i paid attention to, so i figured it was the best idea to stay in 2nd.

on a last note, i can't wait to get the super loud tc quieted down with the turbo, only thing i worry about is how it will effect my times since the supercharger was performing flawlessly since i was able to throttle steer most of the course, i wasn't getting the low end lag that it has from its centrifugal design. but since i was hitting my rev limiter, can't say i was short on power, and with the turbo, i might have an over abundance of power...and maybe some lag...
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:...I'm just psyched that I dropped over 2 seconds from my first run and beat my goal of 39.9x. Now all I have to do is put what I learned on this slick pavement to some grippy pavement and I'll be happy.
I second that. It feels my rear sticks so much now on the other courses, possibly a fear factor with me though....on the skid pad I'm not fretting (as much) over gridded cars on the course, or curbs and light poles if i loose it.
-- Jason
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

parabolic mirror = genius. ;)
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

That was a fun course!! I really love Summit Point. I think that anyone that didn't like it after the first event, really didn't give Summit Point a shot. I think a lot of folks that are used to the different lots, especially FedEx, are looking for the grippiest surface. What's the point if you can't be an adaptive driver? You can't always blame the car, the surface, etc. I think it's great to be able to say that you did your best with the conditions given to you and your car. Granted, I understand if some don't want to run their cars b/c since it is slippery and there's a higher probability of spinning out or ending up in the grass versus someplace like Harry Grove...but for the most part, I think it's an excellent place to practice grip control at higher speeds than we're normally used to. Plus, there's no light poles or curbs. The grass and islands do suck. I wish they had just painted the circles and filled in w/ a bright obnoxious color (or white) so you could visibly see that you went "off", but no chance of damaging the car.

Anyhoo, my wife and son had a fun time! He was the one waving to everyone at start and wore the monkey harness/leash. :D

BTW, thanks to Jason and Dan for letting me drive their cars, as well as those that offered to let me drive theirs. Jason: your car is a lot of fun! I can't believe I never took you up on the offer before! Dan, your brakes suck. Seriously. Just spend $3,000 and convert so I don't have to go through that ordeal again. :lol:

Ted and the other organizers: thanks for another great event! The course was a blast and the event was awesome! 8 runs on a big course. Sweet!

I hope we do keep Summit Point next year and the following years, even if it doesn't make sense financially. It's a beautiful drive out there, the lot is beautiful, and there's so much other stuff going on around us.

-Ed O
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si

Post by NAautoxer »

if you guys continue to run summit, i will continue to show up. :)

took my daily driver civic si out and it reassured me that i need to run a FWD car.. i feel i turned a respectable time of i think 42.9.. with 180k on stock everything and some crummy Yokohama summer tires, not bad!!!

definitely enjoyed the course, and i think i've convinced my wife to run next time :)
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

NAautoxer wrote:if you guys continue to run summit, i will continue to show up. :)

took my daily driver civic si out and it reassured me that i need to run a FWD car.. i feel i turned a respectable time of i think 42.9.. with 180k on stock everything and some crummy Yokohama summer tires, not bad!!!

definitely enjoyed the course, and i think i've convinced my wife to run next time :)
your lucky...you have a car that has the potential to have FTD at most events if setup and driven right...all on street tires at that!
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:
NAautoxer wrote:if you guys continue to run summit, i will continue to show up. :)

your lucky...you have a car that has the potential to have FTD at most events if setup and driven right...all on street tires at that!
ya seriously :) the best i think i got was a 42.6 with a 2,000 stripped miata with r-comps lol.

you think that course is slick now, try doing it in a go-kart, in the rain, for 90 minutes :)
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Ed O- you summed up SP exactly! I like the change of a mini road course style with all the lots, knowing the course layout fully from the walk so all my time is spent on technique to be faster. The new painted curbing was a hoot. I would be willing to pay $5 more to keep it in the schedule & not stiff the club. Even the drive out is great, though long. The view of the valley once you crest the top of those hills and start down the other side is amazing, even in the fog. I usually stop off at one of the farm stands for some fresh grub & moo at the cows, a dumb habit I picked up from being on the bikes. =) Did anyone watch the bikes over on the track later in the day? Good times although it is a crap course for bikes.
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

that track was nothing of what I expected, but it was a great course to run on. Not being used to the FWD car made it wayy more challenging.
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

saint_foo wrote: BTW, thanks to Jason and Dan for letting me drive their cars, as well as those that offered to let me drive theirs. Jason: your car is a lot of fun! I can't believe I never took you up on the offer before!

Ted and the other organizers: thanks for another great event! The course was a blast and the event was awesome! 8 runs on a big course. Sweet!

I hope we do keep Summit Point next year and the following years, even if it doesn't make sense financially. It's a beautiful drive out there, the lot is beautiful, and there's so much other stuff going on around us.

-Ed O
Ed agreed! SP is a great course to really push your limits and learn more about your car and how to respond to slip, etc. I've learned more throttle control from that place than running at at of our other lots.

Thank you for the compliment, anytime you want to drive it, your more than welcome :)
-- Jason
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Thanks to woody for the mirror it was a great addition to the start. I like the radio as well even with it's short range. Woody said he will be bringing another antenna for it to try and extend the range that will be great too. I also hope that SP stays on the schedule for next year. I would even be willing to pay 35 for members to keep running there 7 runs for 35 is fair by me, it's a little higher of a cost to seat time ratio then hary grove but the courses are always really fun up there.

Hopefully some of the people that have shunned it since the first event will give it another try now that SP has really fixed it up.To bad they just didnt pave one huge multiuse parking lot though.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

I will second in thanking Jason for letting me drive his car there at SP It was definitely a learning experience, it gives me some new challenges, learning not to throttle through a turn.
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
wrathe74

Post by wrathe74 »

thehammer wrote:I will second in thanking Jason for letting me drive his car there at SP It was definitely a learning experience, it gives me some new challenges, learning not to throttle through a turn.
Anytime ... :)
-- Jason
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

As always folks, I had a blast.

42.9 +1 WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! All my good times were marred by a +1 that would have been easily avoidable =(
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si

Post by NAautoxer »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:

trust me, i've been autocrossing for 8 years, i know what i have. :) heheheee. sadly, my wife would absolutely kill me if i started to really modify my daily car.. i think i'm just going to do a few things.. butt that's for another post in another section. :)

and yes, the karting is awesome there i really wish i stayed until they opened, but i was beat!

also, i fourth the mirror. that really works well!
bearda
Car: 1995 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 363

Post by bearda »

bugman1964 wrote:Thanks to woody for the mirror it was a great addition to the start. I like the radio as well even with it's short range. Woody said he will be bringing another antenna for it to try and extend the range that will be great too. I also hope that SP stays on the schedule for next year. I would even be willing to pay 35 for members to keep running there 7 runs for 35 is fair by me, it's a little higher of a cost to seat time ratio then hary grove but the courses are always really fun up there.

Hopefully some of the people that have shunned it since the first event will give it another try now that SP has really fixed it up.To bad they just didnt pave one huge multiuse parking lot though.
I love the SP events too, but I get the impression that we'd be paying a lot more than $35 for members to keep it on the schedule. We (as a club) are getting a hell of a deal on the venue this year, and from the sounds of it we may no be continuing to get that deal next year.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

and you failed to spin in honor of Hamilton too

flohtingPoint wrote:As always folks, I had a blast.

42.9 +1 WHYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! All my good times were marred by a +1 that would have been easily avoidable =(
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)