R-comps in small bore

Parking lots and traffic cones.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: R-comps in small bore

Post by eage8 »

ferris wrote:I vote we ban r-comps from small bore because my girlfriend just told me that I would have to move out if I stored my 2nd set of wheels/tires in the house :cry:
Haha, just get rid of those last gen azenis you have and put some r-comps on those wheels. I think those tires are older than my impreza...
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

ferris wrote:I vote we ban r-comps from small bore because my girlfriend just told me that I would have to move out if I stored my 2nd set of wheels/tires in the house :cry:
Put a table cloth over them and tell her that you bought some new occasional tables. It will work... trust me.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

david.valeri wrote:
Put a table cloth over them and tell her that you bought some new occasional tables. It will work... trust me.
haha, that's what I use my stock RX-7 wheels for... but they're outside.. with no table cloth.
-Mike #887

accentandy
Car: 99/00 hyundai accents
CDC Member#: 397

Post by accentandy »

from personally running on old v710s 205/50/15 for 2 seasons before swapping over to new a6s for this year I was a good 1-1.5 seconds faster at fedex. some of that time was size difference but I think most of it was just swapping to new rubber.

the v170s weren't worn out when I got rid of them but they were 4 seasons old and heat cycled to death. the grip was predictable in warm conditions but when it got colder than 70 degrees it wasn't pretty.

I think if you had sampled my a6s which have about 25 runs on the front and around 80-90 in the rear you would have felt the difference even with colder temps. we will have to try it out next season. I think your car on my tires would be a contender for the fsp crown.
dhowell
Car: 1999 Miata
CDC Member#: 431

Post by dhowell »

Another set of wheels is nothing. Now, an entire car closet - that's also taken over the dining room - is something to complain about.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

accentandy wrote:from personally running on old v710s 205/50/15 for 2 seasons before swapping over to new a6s for this year I was a good 1-1.5 seconds faster at fedex. some of that time was size difference but I think most of it was just swapping to new rubber.

the v170s weren't worn out when I got rid of them but they were 4 seasons old and heat cycled to death. the grip was predictable in warm conditions but when it got colder than 70 degrees it wasn't pretty.

I think if you had sampled my a6s which have about 25 runs on the front and around 80-90 in the rear you would have felt the difference even with colder temps. we will have to try it out next season. I think your car on my tires would be a contender for the fsp crown.
unfortunately I won't be running my car next year. Taking a bit of a break from racing, esp in my car. I think I'll just be hopping in different cars here and there. I'd like to broaden my driving abilities. Driving Andy's M Coupe on Saturday was fun.
ferris

Post by ferris »

dhowell wrote:
Another set of wheels is nothing. Now, an entire car closet - that's also taken over the dining room - is something to complain about.
HAHA ... I love all the responses.

She has put up with a lot I think (for not being into racing or cars at all). I basically have taken up all our "excess" storage space with car parts or tools. When I said the tires couldn't be in below freezing temps and they would be inside all year round, she didn't respond well.

Oh well, I really want the Enkei RPf1's, but have no intention of paying for them, unless someone here wants to sell them to me cheap.

I will see what happens on craigslist and miata.net over the winter. I don't need to do anything for a couple months anyway.
dhowell
Car: 1999 Miata
CDC Member#: 431

Post by dhowell »

Your mission should be to get her into cars. Bring her out next season, maybe she'll like it. And then you could have twice as much car stuff :-)
eage8

Post by eage8 »

dhowell wrote:Your mission should be to get her into cars. Bring her out next season, maybe she'll like it. And then you could have twice as much car stuff :-)
Yeah, and then she can fill up your dining room with the interior of her CRX and blame it on you ;)
-Mike #887

ferris

Post by ferris »

I take back my previous statement ... 13x8 diamond racing wheels are showing up tonight

I just need to find a good R-comp to fit them at a price I want to spend
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

I'm sure you can find cheap used ones
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

bugman1964 wrote:I'm sure you can find cheap used ones
I'm about to pick up a set of A6s for my rx-7 (2x245/40/17, 2x275/40/17) that are only 1 season old for $135 :)

keep an eye on craigslist and sccaforums.com and some good deals will pop up.

now I just need to find a second set of wheels for really cheap...
-Mike #887

eage8

Post by eage8 »

I got my most recent issue of GRM in the mail the other day and they have a really good article on this exact topic (street tires vs. r-comps) so I thought I'd let you guys know.

after their testing (on andy hollis' civic again with an ST suspension setup) the r-comps ended up being 1.8 seconds faster per minute. The 2 tires they compared were the Kumho XSs and the Kumho v710s.
-Mike #887

david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

So was the alignment changed for each set of tires in the test or was it simply take one set off and put the other on? If not, what was the car setup for tire wise during the tests?

Has it been officially decided that the rules shall remain the same for next year? I'm shopping for rims and tires and from the looks of it, the small bore arms race is escalating.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

david.valeri wrote:So was the alignment changed for each set of tires in the test or was it simply take one set off and put the other on? If not, what was the car setup for tire wise during the tests?

Has it been officially decided that the rules shall remain the same for next year? I'm shopping for rims and tires and from the looks of it, the small bore arms race is escalating.
it was all done on andy hollis' ST spec civic, so all the suspension settings and alignment settings were bias towards street tires. The wheels with the other tires were just swapped on.

I think all the new rules will be officially decided on at the rewards ceremony (which I don't think has a date yet). But I have a set of r-comps now, so I won't be arguing about them :)
-Mike #887

echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

eage8 wrote:
david.valeri wrote:So was the alignment changed for each set of tires in the test or was it simply take one set off and put the other on? If not, what was the car setup for tire wise during the tests?

it was all done on andy hollis' ST spec civic, so all the suspension settings and alignment settings were bias towards street tires. The wheels with the other tires were just swapped on.

I think all the new rules will be officially decided on at the rewards ceremony (which I don't think has a date yet). But I have a set of r-comps now, so I won't be arguing about them :)
Just like last year, we will open the discussion for any changes in the rules or indexes at the awards lunch. I still have to hear from a couple people on slot car selection (their "trophy"), then order the slot cars. We should be on target to have the awards lunch sometime in Feb.

In terms of Small Bore, I really don't things are going to change with regard to allowing any tires.

The only thing I think we can address on tires is to make everyone use the same tires like the Sumitomos. That way people won't wear r compounds but I can see how many other people will complian that they have to purchase a specific tire rather than run their high performance street tire. Also to be fair (even if we went down this road), we would have to make the rule effective for 2011 (or 2012) to allow people to wear down their current rubber, making whole thing more complicated.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I know this would be a lot of work for the organizers ... which I don't mind... but maybe if people really want tires to be limited, there could be a spec style class. The cars could only have certain modifications and they all have to run one set of tires. I know this would be very difficult and not perfect since everyone isn't going to run out an buy a miata or any specific car, but we could have general guidlines or ban specific items such as camber plates or forced induction ect. ect.

Any way we do it, I feel like it will be to some peoples advantage and some peoples disadvantage.
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I think you guys should change nothing with small bore or the index system. Their will still be exactly the same amount of discussion, agreement and disagreement as you would have if you change everything. Save a step.

I've done eveything possible to my smallbore car this winter, so you'd be better off canceling that whole series.
FredK

I'd kick Danny K out of the club too, he's a trouble maker.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I think we should kick Fred out of the club-- He's worse than a troublemaker-- he's going to win both regular index and smallbore!
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
eage8

Post by eage8 »

FredK wrote:I think you guys should change nothing with small bore or the index system. Their will still be exactly the same amount of discussion, agreement and disagreement as you would have if you change everything. Save a step.

I've done eveything possible to my smallbore car this winter, so you'd be better off canceling that whole series.
FredK

I'd kick Danny K out of the club too, he's a trouble maker.
didn't you turbo your miata? and you sold your r-comps... I'm confused :-P
-Mike #887

echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I have a feeling that small bore is going to be VERY popular next year.

I heard Denise H. is going to show up with a high flow exhaust and stiffer sway bars on her Miata. Combine that with all the seat time she had last year, she may surprise a lot of people. Dave V will have is super fast Miata. Jeff S. will have his Miata with stiffer suspension, roll bar and stripped of all extra parts. Then there's all those other NA and NB Miatas. I noticed that Miata are starting to out number the Subarus and S2000s.

Jim N. is suppose to have his MR-2 ready (if not, his Corolla).

Joe S. and I will have a better running Sprite (or my Miata or my TR-6 (not SM elidgibe) when the motor is rebuilt), and Dave M. will probably be running his blue Bugeye Sprite more. Then there's always Joe M. with his his Sprite at Harry Grove.

Throw in Doug A's Honda Fit, Matt B's Hyundai, and a couple of old Hondas, and we'll have a good mix for competition.

I think it will be FUN!
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

echan wrote:Jim N. is suppose to have his MR-2 ready (if not, his Corolla).
The MR2... I'm doing mad expense reports right now so I can get cash to overhaul the motor as I type this.
matt.baird
Car: 09 Hyundai Accent SE
CDC Member#: 276

Post by matt.baird »

I think the lack of tire restrictions is fine. Not everyone wants to shell out money for a certain set of tires, as always with autocross if you want to be faster, you have to pay to play. The rest of CDC generally lacks any classification or restrictions, why start going too much further down that road now? You want to be fast? Get a miata or crx, haha.

I just compare myself afterwards to what I figure should be competitive cars to mine, and also see what cars I end up a second or less behind in the results. Maybe thats just me being too laid back.
Matt
eage8

Post by eage8 »

echan wrote:I have a feeling that small bore is going to be VERY popular next year.

I heard Denise H. is going to show up with a high flow exhaust and stiffer sway bars on her Miata. Combine that with all the seat time she had last year, she may surprise a lot of people. Dave V will have is super fast Miata. Jeff S. will have his Miata with stiffer suspension, roll bar and stripped of all extra parts. Then there's all those other NA and NB Miatas. I noticed that Miata are starting to out number the Subarus and S2000s.

Joe S. and I will have a better running Sprite (or my Miata or my TR-6 (not SM elidgibe) when the motor is rebuilt), and Dave M. will probably be running his blue Bugeye Sprite more. Then there's always Joe M. with his his Sprite at Harry Grove.

Throw in Doug A's Honda Fit, Matt B's Hyundai, and a couple of old Hondas, and we'll have a good mix for competition.

I think it will be FUN!
I'll be competing too! I plan on only running the corolla at CDC events next year. the rx-7 might show up to some test and tunes.
-Mike #887

ferris

Post by ferris »

echan wrote:I have a feeling that small bore is going to be VERY popular next year.

I think it will be FUN!

There are more surprises and goodies planned for next year ... the suspension, roll bar were installed and most sound deadening was out of the car for the last couple events ... hopefully by next year my can will crush Denise H.'s car even with VVT which apparently has much more power before the VVT makes any changes