HGS, fairwell to 2009 CDC ax season

Parking lots and traffic cones.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

HGS, fairwell to 2009 CDC ax season

Post by hepcatz »

Had a great time as always with yet another great CDC layout. A more unique setup for a very limiting lot, thanks. I took no photos or film this event, sorry all as usually I take a lot to share. I will be taking some tomorrow at the TnT. So a great season with CDC (and my first!) comes to a close. Thanks to Ed C. and all the organizers, fellow drivers who have provided helpful tips(Mark & Ed to name only a few...), ride-alongs and foolhardy enough to let me drive their car. Doug you better be driving the crap out of that Fit again next season. Props to Wade for driving the cobra in heat and cold to events, James for his rear window F1 messages, Scott for making the stickers and Ed O. for knowing how to make my veggie sausage nice and hot with his special tongs... lol! (all joking aside thanks for grillin' the veg dogs dude) plus everyone else for some great, friendly shenanigans & conversations. Yes, I still think we can run winter tires and big puffy jackets to race through the winter! So what became of the battle between Dan & Frank?
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Re: HGS, fairwell to 2009 CDC ax season

Post by mla163 »

Personally, I had a blast this year. I think I did over 30 events with 3 clubs over the last 8 months. That's roughly one a weekend. In one case, I went to three autocrosses in two days. I met a lot of new people, got to play with cars, and hopefully became a better driver. I have mixed emotions about the season being over. I am a little relieved that I can sleep in on weekends, but in a few weeks I will be anxious to hop in a car and slide it around an open parking lot. Thank you CDC for a fun year.
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

This was a great way to end the season! The weather was pretty good, although it could've been a teensy bit warmer (just saying!).

Man, once again, the Miata was whored out. It was such a blast to drive. I really was happy with that course!

Again, thanks to all the great owners that let me drive their cars (that means I am NOT grateful to the Cobra owners, Brian K, Ernest, etc - hahaha!). If you ever need a ride/drive, please let me know. If anyone wants to buy me tires next year, please let me know. :lol:

I'm kind of bummed my 2 co-drivers (Bruce Wakefield and Chris Jeans) really didn't get much seat time this season, but did chip in for upgrades in the off season. Next year we'll have fun.

See you all next year. Looking forward to it!
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

I had a great time today and it was awesome watching everybody else do better than me in my own car. Seriously. The times that Mike, Jake, whoever drove it :lol: were very impressive. It's a good feeling to know that the car is very capable of running those sort of times and I just need to become a better driver. Thanks Ed and Jake for letting me drive their cars. Much appreciated. That f'ing miata is a little beast :D

Had a great year, met some awesome people, had good days and bad days....but that's the fun/challenge of it. Kinda glad it's over, the red shopping cart is wore out and needs some R/R. Take care everybody, see ya soon

Matthew
High on PSI
bellykat
Car: FFR Cobra Replica
CDC Member#: 139

Post by bellykat »

At least you didn't get beat by a chick, Matt.
ScoobyDoo
Car: 1972 Mystery Machine
CDC Member#: 499

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I had a great time this weekend. Thanks Mike for a great course and congrats to everyone who had such great runs. I tried to take a lot of pictures, but I have a pocket camera and I'm no good at composition, so take it for what it's worth. If by chance you want a higher res pic let me know and I'll email it to you.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 2a00025423
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

This weekend was a great way to end the season. I can't wait for next year's events to start up.

Thanks for letting me drive your car, Matthew, and Mike, Ed O, Jeff, James, and Jacob. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I'm worried that me and my purpose-built Subaru may not stand a chance next year as Matthew continues to improve.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

mla163 wrote:Personally, I had a blast this year. I think I did over 30 events with 3 clubs over the last 8 months. That's roughly one a weekend. In one case, I went to three autocrosses in two days. I met a lot of new people, got to play with cars, and hopefully became a better driver. I have mixed emotions about the season being over. I am a little relieved that I can sleep in on weekends, but in a few weeks I will be anxious to hop in a car and slide it around an open parking lot. Thank you CDC for a fun year.
I can't say it better myself. I did the same schedule and I am very tired. I think there were 3 weekends "off." But I wouldn't have done it any other way. And I'm thinking of adding Philly SCCA to the schedule next year. As Denise said yesterday, "Is there such a thing as too much autocross?"

Thank you to CDC, all the organizers and everyone who came out. I had a blast driving with everyone. Can't wait to drive next year.

Also, special thanks to Dan and James for turning a few wrenches with me on Saturday morning.
T ARE 6
Car: '70 TR6 or '89 Prelude
CDC Member#: 121

Post by T ARE 6 »

Yes, as always, I had a wonderful time, and want to express my gratitude to all the folks who make these events happen. I can't thank you all enough.

I'm gonna give a special shout out to whomever was manning the microphone towards the latter part of the day on Saturday. As a driver, I appreciated your efforts to tell us our times as we rolled by the timing tent. As a spectator, I appreciated your telling us about the times the current driver had posted earlier in the day. And as Andy Chu's friend - I appreciated your giving him some crap about his "going to the grocery store" Subaru Legacy wagon.

Andy enjoyed the day too - here's a link to him enjoying one of the Cobra's exhaust note:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWCUMLQiQY0

Sorry about the little long haired mongrel barking incessantly. I guess that experiment of taking her to the AutoX didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6
1989 Honda Prelude 4WS
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

The announcing job deserves another mention and another round of kudos.

We started autocrossing this year and we're having a blast. I didn't think a test & tune at the end of the year made much sense but it turned out to be a big help especially after putting new suspension in my car last week. It was good to have a chance to shake everything down before calling it quits for the year (and it was a successful shakedown - no surprises, no clunks, no loose bolts, and one fast little car) and Kate getting ten runs under her belt was great. I don't know what I enjoyed more, my car running so well (39.99 on my last run) or Kate getting faster and more confident each time she went out. Having the opportunity to run each other's car was a nice bonus.

I put up fifty-something pics into the Flickr pool this afternoon. They're cropped and resized but if anyone wants the original just send me a note saying which photo you want and I'll send you what came out of the camera for you to use as you see fit.

We're already looking forward to next year, when we plan on hitting autocross hard. We've got a couple good cars plus a couple spares ready to go, although I'm pretty sure Kate's '93 will benefit from a better set of tires and probably at least a sway bar if not springs and shocks to go along with that. I'd love to chase points but Frederick is a pretty good haul from Waldorf, especially with me working nights (I went straight from work to HGS yesterday). We'll run as much as we can and see how we do. This seems to be a pretty fun hobby that we've gotten ourselves into, and CDC has a lot to do with that.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

BugBomb wrote:Thanks for letting me drive your car, Matthew, and Mike, Ed O, Jeff, James, and Jacob. I hope I didn't miss anyone.
Dont mention it man. It was nice to have someone else drive my car and get some feedback.
phranquelynn wrote:Also, special thanks to Dan and James for turning a few wrenches with me on Saturday morning.
It was no problem at all man, I was just happy to help. My car likes to act up a lot so I like to arrive to events early in case any problems arise. 99% of the time, things go well, and I'm left with an hour to kill. Assisting on your car helped that hour go by.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

Thanks a lot guys for the great season, and a great weekend to wrap it up on. I loved that course, especially that sweeper on the back strait. It was a blast taking that flat out.

Thanks to everyone who let me drive their cars (especially Jacob, Jake, and James this past weekend) and who gave me driving tips. I'm a billion times better of a driver than I was in the beginning of the year, and can't wait to learn more next year. This winter is going to feel really long :( .

Congrats to Mark and Frank for winning the championships. Frank, I have my eyes set on your championship for next year though :) .
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

BugBomb wrote:This weekend was a great way to end the season. I can't wait for next year's events to start up.

Thanks for letting me drive your car, Matthew, and Mike, Ed O, Jeff, James, and Jacob. I hope I didn't miss anyone.

I'm worried that me and my purpose-built Subaru may not stand a chance next year as Matthew continues to improve.
That comment just made my day, but unfortunately, it will take more than a few years to get to your skill level....if I can at all. After riding with you in my car, it gave me a whole new perspective on track layouts and what not. It's also nice to know that my car doesn't require any further mods and I'm the one that requires the mods ;) I just need to upgrade/replace the front axles and get prepped for next season. Time for some indoor karting.
High on PSI
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

bellykat wrote:At least you didn't get beat by a chick, Matt.
I guarantee if you had a run or two more you could of. :) It's funny how when everybody came out of that thing with a big smile on their face, the second words out of their mouths where "When are you putting real tires on this thing?" I want to so bad, just to see what it would be like, but I'm nowhere near ready to take advantage of something like that.
High on PSI
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

phranquelynn wrote:
mla163 wrote:
Also, special thanks to Dan and James for turning a few wrenches with me on Saturday morning.
What the Hell was I thinking??!!

Thanks to all of the organizers for work that is always above and beyond. You all apply so much talent and effort that I am continually amazed. We have a wonderful autocross family here that should be the envy of AX clubs anywhere. The incredible warmth and willingness to help makes CDC into one big semi-functional autocross family.

I had more fun this season than ever before-- right up to the point when Franklin Damn won the Small Bore Championship...
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

The results from the last points event of the season have been posted to the website. Go to the Results page and click on the .xls or .pdf links to view them. Congratulations to Brian Kar for setting FTD yet again in his seriously quick Honda Civic, to Ryan Pal for top index score in his 2004 Subaru Impreza STi, and to Alejandro Avi for getting the fastest time of the day in the Small Bore Series Championship piloting his Honda Civic to a win just 0.04 seconds ahead of Frank T Dam's Mazda Miata.

Also included are the final points standings for the season. Congratulations to Franklin Dam for winning the 2009 Small Bore Series Championship and to Mark Ans for winning the 2009 Driver's Championship. Also a big round of applause to all the organizers and volunteers who helped throughout the season and to all the participants who had fun and made this year so enjoyable.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Way to go for those two with FTD and for Frank taking small bore!

Thanks for posting the results Kyle.

John
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
drakedeming
Car: EVO RS
CDC Member#: 666

Post by drakedeming »

Not that it matters but my score from this past weekend was not put on my points. Also My wife allyn deming was not included in the PAX times.

Congrats to all the winners!!
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

gees drake you just want everything dont ya? :lol:

I must say this was a great weekend even with freezing my butt off 3 days in a row. Thanks to Ed O. for the drive the miata was a lot of fun just needs a little bit more tire under there to hook up more. Met a lot of really great people this weekend and enjoyed my first weekend as organizer. Congrats to Andy for piloting the stock legacy wagon to some really competitive times.

Thanks for all the positive comments about my announcing, hopefully as I do it more next year I'll get more commentary to roll with.
And If any of the officers read this thread for some reason, thanks for the great event on monday and hope you guys enjoyed yourself.

I must say I'm looking forward to the end of the year banquet and anxiously look forward to next year.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Had a great time on Saturday. I thought the course was maybe one of the best I've ran at HGS. Sucks the season is over. I wish I would have done more events with CDC this year than I did...oh well. Thanks Andy for letting me drive the M Coupe! Car feels great. RWD and power sure is different :lol:.

Here's my video from Saturday. Ran Fred's Kumho V710s in the morning and put my Bridgestone RE-11's on for the afternoon. I ended up .5 seconds faster on the B-stones than the Kumhos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBWA4mFIeI
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Honestly Jacob, I think you're one of the best announcers. You've got a great voice, we can understand what you're saying, and you look.....

well,....

like such a big ol' NASCAR good ol' boy, that it's appropriate. We just need to put a John Deere cap and overalls on you to complete the look.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

I'll wear it, just for you Ed I know you like that cosplay stuff, just as long as I don't have to watch nascar. :lol:
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Had a great time on Saturday. I thought the course was maybe one of the best I've ran at HGS. Sucks the season is over. I wish I would have done more events with CDC this year than I did...oh well. Thanks Andy for letting me drive the M Coupe! Car feels great. RWD and power sure is different :lol:.

Here's my video from Saturday. Ran Fred's Kumho V710s in the morning and put my Bridgestone RE-11's on for the afternoon. I ended up .5 seconds faster on the B-stones than the Kumhos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzBWA4mFIeI
yeah, I think it might have been a tad bit too cold this weekend for r-comps. at least in front wheel drive cars. You should definitely try them out again next season when it's decently warm out, I'm looking forward to them. You can borrow my 225/50/13s for a Test and tune if you'd like, we'd have to test fit them though.

I ran my all-seasons on Monday on the corolla and only got .8 seconds slower than I was on my r-comps on Saturday :P
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
dhowell
Car: 1999 Miata
CDC Member#: 431

Post by dhowell »

I had an awesome first season. My only complain is that I didn't get to as many events as I wanted to (i.e. every single one). I've met some really great people and some really awesome cars. Thanks so much to everyone on Sunday that let me drive their car. I can't believe I drove an Elise!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, rode along with me, let me ride along with them, or let me drive their car throughout the year. To all the organizers, thanks for working so hard to make all this possible. I can't wait until next season! If only we had winter autocross...

Denise
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

dhowell wrote: If only we had winter autocross...
philly SCCA has a winter series if you are up for a drive