Philly SCCA Autocross on 2/21

Parking lots and traffic cones.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Philly SCCA Autocross on 2/21

Post by phranquelynn »

Not a CDC Event. I normally wouldn't post another club's event here. But figure most of us are anxious to autocross during the CDC off-season, it couldn't hurt to pass on the info. There's an autox on 2/21 sponsored by the Philly SCCA. I've been there once and thought it was OK. They had walk up registration when I went but not sure if that exists during the winter series. Thinking of heading up there if it's nice that day. More info on http://www.phillyscca.com. Anyone else up for it?
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Re: Philly SCCA Autocross on 2/21

Post by edfooliu »

They still do walkups for the winter series. Great lot (Frank, think at least 3x the size of the one you went up to) and they like designing fast courses. Philly is a great bunch to run with, even if many of them are eagles fans. This was from last year on that lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpqzfnLhWQ

Go up if it's NOT nice outside, and you'll get lotsa runs =p

Frank, you going to be fully recovered by then? Decent chance we can get your kart ready in time...
"Opinionated"
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

edfooliu wrote: Frank, you going to be fully recovered by then? Decent chance we can get your kart ready in time...
have no clue. i'm at a starbucks right now. it's my brave venture to go outside. this is the 3rd time out of the house in 3 weeks. hopefully it's not too optimistic to say i should be fully recovered by then. would love to have another shot at the cart. if the cart is in running order, then i say cart if it's nice and miata if it's mediocre and stay at home if it's totally crappy outside. woohoo 17 days to an autocross.
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

Just say the word and we will put your kart together. You have to get Justin's motor somehow though. Ed and I can rebuild the motor for you if you trust us.

I wouldn't...
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

I wish I could make it. The Richmond area autox in Jan was a great lot (managed to bang my rev limiter in 2nd), but thats about my full range. Philly is just too far for the Corolla to drive =(
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

flohtingPoint wrote:I wish I could make it. The Richmond area autox in Jan was a great lot (managed to bang my rev limiter in 2nd), but thats about my full range. Philly is just too far for the Corolla to drive =(
how far is it from you? it's only like 2 hours from me. I'm really tempted to go. we'll see if I can get the corolla's megasquirt tuned by then. It's not even in the car yet :P
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

I live in Fairfax. It's 3+ hrs, one way. 6 hrs of driving round trip is too much in a car w/no heat, no radio, no comfort and a motor that likes to give me issues during inopportune moments.
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

Wachovia is 2 hours and 15 minutes away from Gaithersburg. Richmond international is about 1 hour 55 minutes from Gaithersburg, and Petersburg is about 2 hours and 30 minutes from Gaithersburg.

Philly is not that far, the only problem is if you tow a car, the tolls will kill you. It's $23 to go thru the last Maryland toll both if you tow a 2-axle trailer. That's highway robbery.

Then again some of us drives 2400 miles just to get 3 minutes of autocrossing every September. I guess distance travel to get to an autocross is all relative. :mrgreen:
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

dannykao wrote:Then again some of us drives 2400 miles just to get 3 minutes of autocrossing every September. I guess distance travel to get to an autocross is all relative. :mrgreen:
The Nationals and a random Philly event are totally different though =P If you win Philly, you just get a pat on the back and perhaps a magnet.
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

flohtingPoint wrote:I live in Fairfax. It's 3+ hrs, one way. 6 hrs of driving round trip is too much in a car w/no heat, no radio, no comfort and a motor that likes to give me issues during inopportune moments.
wus
dannykao wrote:Just say the word and we will put your kart together. You have to get Justin's motor somehow though. Ed and I can rebuild the motor for you if you trust us.

I wouldn't...
lets do it
should i start looking into another f125 motor too just in case? can i pull one from a dirt bike? e-mail me. no need to subject everyone to my engine needs.
flohtingPoint wrote:
dannykao wrote:Then again some of us drives 2400 miles just to get 3 minutes of autocrossing every September. I guess distance travel to get to an autocross is all relative. :mrgreen:
The Nationals and a random Philly event are totally different though =P If you win Philly, you just get a pat on the back and perhaps a magnet.
yeah, you get a jacket at nationals! ;)

watching the snow fall and wishing autocross was like football. wouldn't it be great if we can do a pickup game of autocross in the snow?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

phranquelynn wrote: watching the snow fall and wishing autocross was like football. wouldn't it be great if we can do a pickup game of autocross in the snow?
buy a big enough parking lot and anything's possible
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

phranquelynn wrote: wus
:( :( :(
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

flohtingPoint wrote:
Actually there is no difference. I didn't get a pat on the back or a magnet at the Nationals either. :mrgreen:
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

dannykao wrote:
flohtingPoint wrote:
Actually there is no difference. I didn't get a pat on the back or a magnet at the Nationals either. :mrgreen:
I have a papa johns magnet I can give you :D Actually, on 2nd thought, that's not a bad idea. I think next season I'll run with a bunch of free magnets I get from random places. Pizza Hut, Jiffy Lube, etc.
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

I am known as the "magnet beggar" in 2007-8. I got people to give me their magnets that they don't want and constantly complain about not able to win a magnet. People were so annoyed by my tactics that Josh Luster (some of you know them) custom made me a first place magnet cone just to keep me from begging. I must got about 10 different magnets from people I race with until somebody finally gave me his left over 4th place magnet.

Begging does work though. This year a friend of mine gave me his DC champion fleece. He figure 10 of those in his closet is too much and he can spread the wealth a little. :shock:
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

I've got some 2nd and 3rd place magnets you can have, I only pick up the other ones. Their in the trailer.
See you in Philly.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

ok, I think we need to make an alteration to the CDC indexes because everyone knows magnets/stickers = horsepower
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

Wow, cool, I'll be there.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

hepcatz wrote:ok, I think we need to make an alteration to the CDC indexes because everyone knows magnets/stickers = horsepower
Seems to work for Frank...
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Dan133 wrote:
hepcatz wrote:ok, I think we need to make an alteration to the CDC indexes because everyone knows magnets/stickers = horsepower
You are correct. MAGNETS + STICKERS DO make you you go faster.

It sounds like we will need to make up some special "congratulations you won something" magnets this year lol. We could definitely do those haha.

I've always been more smitten by those little foam road cones you can buy with your logo silk screened onto. Now THOSE are sweet. I think i still have one from like 8 years back when i completed the MBC drivers school at Nelson Ledges. I'll use the term "drivers school" loosely haha.
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Not to highjack the thread, but a take off on a stress ball for the office that is cone shaped with CDC logo, that would be awesome.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

Dan133 wrote:
"One thing I know about racing colorful cars just go faster."
- Tony Stewart, 2002 and 2005 NASCAR Winston and Nextel Cup Champion

I attribute all my faster times to my magnets/stickers. Hmmm, the slower days were the days I left my magnets/stickers at home. Coincidence? I think not.
phranquelynn

Post by phranquelynn »

dannykao wrote:I am known as the "magnet beggar" in 2007-8. I got people to give me their magnets that they don't want and constantly complain about not able to win a magnet. People were so annoyed by my tactics that Josh Luster (some of you know them) custom made me a first place magnet cone just to keep me from begging. I must got about 10 different magnets from people I race with until somebody finally gave me his left over 4th place magnet.

Begging does work though. This year a friend of mine gave me his DC champion fleece. He figure 10 of those in his closet is too much and he can spread the wealth a little. :shock:
I'll sell you one of mine for $500. Before you think that's a crazy price, consider this. I've been to about 40 autocrosses and have received 7 magnets. Cost of entry to those 40 autocrosses was about $1500. Tires amounting to approximately another $1500. About another $2500 for upgrades to the car. Plus gas and some wear and tear on the car. Each one of those magnets have cost me about $1000. Because you're a friend, I'm willing to throw in all that "labor" for free and sell them at half of my cost. ;)

Obviously, if you're as good as Fred, the magnets do not cost as much and he can afford to give them away for free. :) working on getting to that point.
dannykao

Post by dannykao »

If that's the case I can sell my magnet for $50K.... Oh wait, I don't have one to sell. :cry:
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I have a few and I'll beat dannys price, $45k for 1st place, $40k for 2nd and $35k for 3rd :p