Update: BAR CODE SYSTEM DISCONTINUED

Parking lots and traffic cones.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Re: IMPORTANT- NEW BAR CODE SYSTEM- READ NOW

Post by earl998 »

My number is 998.....I thought i was a member of the club. Will i be getting a new number?
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

earl998 wrote:My number is 998.....I thought i was a member of the club. Will i be getting a new number?
I should correct myself. Non-members get numbers starting at 901. We typically get at most 30 non-members. So 900 numbers above 940 or so are members - like Ted is 999 and you are 998.

Ed
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

awptickes wrote:RDV needs to get in on this. If I can get a white on black 'knock-out' barcode for my driver number, that'd work for my helmet, and then another white knock-out on nothing for barcode vehicle index could go on my hideous Honda Racing Line windshield banner.
We are working on some test ones this weekend. We should be able to offer both the standard and the reversed ones. i.e. for the helmet and for the car (if you want to put them on the inside).
We should be able to offer a few options by early next week for everyone that wants permanant ones. Having a cell phone that can read and output barcodes is a huge help. Hurray technology.

I think we are getting together with the crew next weekend to do a walk through of everything next weekend anyways.. :)

We also have access to a thermal label printer which we are testing for the same purpose. Downside to the thermal printer is that the high-tack adhesive tapes for it cost quite a bit more than automotive grade vinyl...

Scott
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
JoeTR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

thehammer wrote:i don't get the idea of the led board, correction I do, but i see a flaw, When the sun shines on the LED board, it will make it more difficult to read, just thinking out loud
The LED board is designed for full-sun viewing. I haven't tried it outside yet, but it hurts to look directly at it inside.
thehammer wrote:Also just out of curiosity, what will be done for the guests that attend for the first time on raceday, will you have barcodes for them onsite?
We have a small label printer for this. It's just that if we have to print barcodes for everyone, the event may not start until 11am. :)
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Awesome, thanks Joe!
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

this is probably nitpicking on my part, but... If the barcode system will determine your index at the grid why is tire info (tire type/wear rating) still being required to register? If it is simply because the software hasn't been changed that's fine but if I don't understand how this works please straighten me out.

Thx

dan
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

yes Dan, it is.
If it's not needed right now I think it's O.K. to just register and include the info. If you are concerned register with those sections left empty. It's like the census...why do they need my phone #?? I'm not paranoid, seriously, I'm not!!
echan
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Dan133 wrote:this is probably nitpicking on my part, but... If the barcode system will determine your index at the grid why is tire info (tire type/wear rating) still being required to register? If it is simply because the software hasn't been changed that's fine but if I don't understand how this works please straighten me out.

Thx

dan
When you register, specific vehicle information is stored in the event information, which saves data input for the organizer doing the results.

The vehicle index you place on the vehicle is currently just the product of the three mulipliers. The bar code does not contain make, model, year, color, or individual tire, HP and weight mulitpliers (all of which is displayed in the results).

So when you make a reservation (e.g. Dan K under number 133), the registration data loads the vehicle information (1999 Mazda Miata, r compounds, 2300 pounds, 140 HP, small bore series). So when the bar code scans 133 for that event, those values are defaulted as the vehicle information. If there were no vehicle information input from registration, we would only have a name and index.

In thoery, we could get away with only one barcode but restrict all participants not to change cars or change the vehicle configuration used when making the reservations. Our thought is that one of CDC strong points was the ability for people to change cars, change different tires all within the same event. The last thing we wanted was to restrict the fun because of a bar code. So, the ensure that vehicle changes can be done, we just make a redundant second bar code, with at most we would have to manually update vehicle information.

Joe S is working on making all three indexes on the bar code (next version). The advantage is less data input for the results, real-time desplay of all the participants with their vehicles, and the ability to change cars during the day without us having to guess what the indexes were (at least we would know the overall index).

I suppose in theory, after Joe's second version is implemented, we could removed weight, tire, and HP in the registration. However, currently we still need those entries. Please be patient, the system is still maturing.

Ed
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Just wanted to add an update for this weekend -

We will bring our thermal printer if anyone wants barcodes for their car. Right now CDC will only be providing barcode stickers that will not last in the weather. We know we tried it :)

We tested out doing the barcodes as stickers, and they just don't work/will not last very long. We do have a handheld thermal printer though,and can make you up your barcodes on sticker strips. The thermal material has a super strong adhesive that should last the whole season. And since the text is thermal printed, it won't be effected by the elements.

Downside - the cost of the thermal tapes is quite pricey. We need to ask $2/each for your name and index to cover the tapes expense.

If you want them, come see us on saturday morning and we will get you set-up with what you need. We will have the black hatch STi and the blue NB miata out this weekend.

Thanks everyone!

Scott @ RDV
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Scott, sounds like I will hit you up for one for the car. Since I want to remove the driver one, I think I'll laminate it so it will last and tape it on the car I am driving. I use the same helmet a lot for bikes so I'd rather not leave it on the helmet, unless pd could also scan it for expedited tickets? lol
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
JoeTR6

Post by JoeTR6 »

Dan133 wrote:why is tire info (tire type/wear rating) still being required to register?
We export the registration data onto the timing computer, and this acts as a check of the barcode. Plus, if you forget your barcodes, we can print out new ones at the event. Technically, it's not required. But if it's entered correctly at registration for all drivers of a particular car, and those drivers don't switch cars, you could also live without the index barcode. It's just nice to have in case someone changes cars during an event.

As Ed mentioned, I realized that a CDC index number alone has a flaw. We can't turn it back into the original tire/hp/weight selections. It's also not very compact. At this point, we can handle the original index barcode and a new format that contains the tire/hp/weight selections (e.g., "C123"). Entering the three selections is a lot easier and less error prone than figuring out the exact index number. Ultimately, we only need the single CDC index number to produce results, so we're good for the first event.

Here are the details of the new index barcode:
* First character is a "C" (instead of an "I") to indicate coded form.

* Second character is the tire selection.
1 -> Street tires
2 -> R-comp > 140
3 -> full R-comp

* Third character is HP selection.
1 -> < 100 hp
2 -> 100 - 150 hp
3 -> 150 - 200 hp
4 -> 200 - 250 hp
5 -> 250 - 300 hp
6 -> 300+ hp

* Fourth character is weight selection.
1 -> < 2000 lbs.
2 -> 2000 - 2500 lbs.
3 -> 2500 - 3000 lbs.
4 -> 3000 - 3500 lbs.
5 -> 3500+ lbs.

* The barcode must begin and end with an asterisk. For example, the barcode for most stock Miatas with street tires is "*C122*".

* The barcode font we're using is called "code 3 of 9" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_39 in case anyone is interested.

I'll have an cheat sheet of all the codes at the event to reduce the mental aerobics.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I like the idea of the simplified code---Very easy to use and easy to check for accuracy. But another probably dumb question.... If I register with Rcomps but discover the day before that rain is forecast and decide to use street tires instead, and I use the appropriate barcode, will the system pick up the change and use the correct index? Although in reality I don't know why I'm asking all of these questions as I can't really compete in the open class even with indexing.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Dan133 wrote:I like the idea of the simplified code---Very easy to use and easy to check for accuracy. But another probably dumb question.... If I register with Rcomps but discover the day before that rain is forecast and decide to use street tires instead, and I use the appropriate barcode, will the system pick up the change and use the correct index? Although in reality I don't know why I'm asking all of these questions as I can't really compete in the open class even with indexing.
If you cutout, and use the correct barcode for the change in your index, that is what will be recorded; but also let us know the change, as I believe we will also be using the timesheets as backup; this will ensure you get the correct index regardless.
-- Jason
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Here's one of my bar codes, the driver one. I laminated it then glued it onto magnetic backing to stick it on the driver door. I also laminated the car index one to tape in my windshield until I get a reverse decal version from Scott. I did two of each to have a spare.

John N
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
ferris

Post by ferris »

I wonder if the magnet will be strong enough to hold the bar code on during an auto-x...
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Why not? It holds my numbers and all my crazy "psuedo sponsor dorky go faster" stickers. The only thing I actually tape on is the "Slowe azz molassass... " because I've been too lazy to stick it on magnetic backing being large. You can also put a really small piece of tape on the leading edge.(I sometimes do that to my numbers) Plus all the sillyness I put on my car is cheap & most I have more than one.
ferris wrote:I wonder if the magnet will be strong enough to hold the bar code on during an auto-x...
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
An2ny
CDC Member#: 0

Post by An2ny »

So the horse power figure that we need to use for the index is at the wheels or at engine?
Got it "As measured at the driven wheels"
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

An2ny wrote:So the horse power figure that we need to use for the index is at the wheels or at engine?
Got it "As measured at the driven wheels"
You should use HP measured at the wheels.
pweishaupt

Post by pweishaupt »

as a non-member, about to become a member tomorrow, do i need to bring the bar code from the pdf (number 902 i guess right?)

thanks,

pete
JoeTR6

Post by JoeTR6 »

I just wanted to remind everyone that the old bar codes we used prior to the 2010 season are going away this year. The only change from last year is the addition of an under 1500 lb. weight index. So if you have a Caterham or your index bar codes have just a number (without a code such as "C123"), then you will need to download the "All Vehicles Index Bar Codes for 2011" PDF and print out the appropriate bar code. I'll repeat the details below to help determine the right one.

Here are the details of the index barcode:

1 -> Street tires
2 -> R-comp > 140
3 -> full R-comp

1 -> < 100 hp
2 -> 100 - 150 hp
3 -> 150 - 200 hp
4 -> 200 - 250 hp
5 -> 250 - 300 hp
6 -> 300+ hp

1 -> 1500 - 2000 lbs.
2 -> 2000 - 2500 lbs.
3 -> 2500 - 3000 lbs.
4 -> 3000 - 3500 lbs.
5 -> 3500+ lbs.
6 -> < 1500 lbs.

Trailing letters indicate special classes. So far, we only have "S" to indicate small bore. If you are participating in small bore, you'll need to download the small bore index bar codes that have an "S" after the code.

If you can't print the bar codes yourself, we'll have a label printer at each event. It helps if as many participants as possible do this ahead of time so that we don't spend an hour waiting for labels to print at the event.
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

If we have access to a barcode printer that makes nice 1" tall laminated barcodes. What would we input for the index barcode? My index is 1.01970 C154. Looks like the barcode is just based on the "C154" ?

Thanks
Ryan P
JoeTR6

Post by JoeTR6 »

Imprezive_04 wrote:If we have access to a barcode printer that makes nice 1" tall laminated barcodes. What would we input for the index barcode? My index is 1.01970 C154. Looks like the barcode is just based on the "C154" ?
Almost. The bar code scanner expects the code to begin and end with an asterisk. So you could print *C154* using the "3 of 9" bar code font, and it should work. The scanner *may* also work with other fonts, but we haven't tested them. I'd include the actual total index and the index code in a comment under the bar code just to help identify it.
pweishaupt

Post by pweishaupt »

Dumb question: My vehicle index is 1.02

How do I know which 1.02 to use? The 1.02's have numbers like (C121) (C143) etc...

Thanks
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

pweishaupt wrote:Dumb question: My vehicle index is 1.02

How do I know which 1.02 to use? The 1.02's have numbers like (C121) (C143) etc...

Thanks
from a few posts up:

Here are the details of the index barcode:

1 -> Street tires
2 -> R-comp > 140
3 -> full R-comp

1 -> < 100 hp
2 -> 100 - 150 hp
3 -> 150 - 200 hp
4 -> 200 - 250 hp
5 -> 250 - 300 hp
6 -> 300+ hp

1 -> 1500 - 2000 lbs.
2 -> 2000 - 2500 lbs.
3 -> 2500 - 3000 lbs.
4 -> 3000 - 3500 lbs.
5 -> 3500+ lbs.
6 -> < 1500 lbs.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
pweishaupt

Post by pweishaupt »

Thanks - makes sense - probably should have read a little closer - -- -- C143...