Update: BAR CODE SYSTEM DISCONTINUED

Parking lots and traffic cones.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Update: BAR CODE SYSTEM DISCONTINUED

Post by echan »

*** Update ***

Until further notice, we are no longer using bar codes at events. We've found that typing in the driver number via a keypad to be more efficient. The one downside of not using bar codes is it makes tracking the car index a bit harder, particularly if a driver changes cars during an event. With that in mind, there are two things you can do to help. If your index changes from preregistration, let the registration workers at the event know. Also, if your index changes during the event (e.g., changed tires/car), let the start worker know when you pull up so they have timing change it. Worst case, the index can be changed per run after the event.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me at capitaldriving@yahoo.com.
echan

Re: IMPORTANT- NEW BAR CODE SYSTEM- READ NOW

Post by echan »

I think I accidently erased a question...

The vehicle index is based on the combination of hp, weight, and tire indexes.

The driver index is unique (except for non-members that are assigned a 900 number and unique for that day only) to the driver based on their member number.

Our plan is to scann the barcodes at the start gate just before they are released. This should make it easier for us when cars jump out of order or people start changing cars. We also plan to have an additional computer, which will display all the drivers and their times as they happen.

Ed
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

I added a PDF version of the instructions for those that don't have the latest MS Office or the compatibility patch.
bearda
Car: 1995 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 363

Post by bearda »

Any foreseeable problems printing the barcodes to sticker paper and then applying that to a sheet magnet? The magnet could go on the hood or fender close to the lower driver's side corner.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Nice idea Ed! Although you've foiled my dastardly plan of having Mike M. drive my car a lot this season so I can win, laugh. Would the stats on display be viewable from the car? If not, is there a way we can improve the range/power of the FM transmitter from last lear? Does anyone know how much to buy reverse decals for the car bar code & a sign/graphic shop that would print them? That way you could just leave it there all year and only remove the driver bar code after events and when car swapping. The Slowe Azz will be joining the 22nd century & a new world order with barcodes!

John N
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
echan

Post by echan »

bearda wrote:Any foreseeable problems printing the barcodes to sticker paper and then applying that to a sheet magnet? The magnet could go on the hood or fender close to the lower driver's side corner.
You are more than welcome to use that method. We just tried to come up with an easy method that wouldn't cost people more than just printing and two pieces of tape.
echan

Post by echan »

hepcatz wrote:Nice idea Ed! Although you've foiled my dastardly plan of having Mike M. drive my car a lot this season so I can win, laugh. Would the stats on display be viewable from the car? If not, is there a way we can improve the range/power of the FM transmitter from last lear? Does anyone know how much to buy reverse decals for the car bar code & a sign/graphic shop that would print them? That way you could just leave it there all year and only remove the driver bar code after events and when car swapping. The Slowe Azz will be joining the 22nd century & a new world order with barcodes!

John N
If you tape the barcode from the inside of the windshield, it can stay there for as long as you want. If you use blue tape, it's even easy to remove.

All the organizers pitched in money, and we purchased a new LED display board. In theory, a person with a PDA with WIFI would be albe to see the entire timing system. However, if we had more than 4 people on the WIFI, we would crash the router.
yardy8301
Car: 90 Miata
CDC Member#: 338

Post by yardy8301 »

If you tape the barcode from the inside of the windshield, it can stay there for as long as you want. If you use blue tape, it's even easy to remove.

All the organizers pitched in money, and we purchased a new LED display board. In theory, a person with a PDA with WIFI would be albe to see the entire timing system. However, if we had more than 4 people on the WIFI, we would crash the router.
its awesome that there will be an led board this year. big thumbs up to all the organizers.

As for the wifi pda thing, another possible solution which would only require someone with a phone that could act as a modem and a little bit of web space would be to post the times online live as they happen.

At the end of the day, all this is just extra stuff we dont really need. Thanks for making autoxing so accomadating.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Just wanted to throw my .02c in, as Ed and I have been discussing the barcodes over the past few weeks.

We (your friends at RDV) could create some vinyl sticker bar codes if anyone is interested in that. Doing them for the entire club wasn't very feasable, but we could do one-off ones for people that are interested in not printing them every week.

-Scott
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Scott,

If Ed accepts that idea, how much would they cost? It'd look a lot better than just tape and be durable to leave on all year.
Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
hepcatz

Post by hepcatz »

Ed, that is great news about the LED board! For things like that which benefit all members, why not hit us up for donations?
echan wrote:
hepcatz wrote:Nice idea Ed! Although you've foiled my dastardly plan of having Mike M. drive my car a lot this season so I can win, laugh. Would the stats on display be viewable from the car? If not, is there a way we can improve the range/power of the FM transmitter from last lear? Does anyone know how much to buy reverse decals for the car bar code & a sign/graphic shop that would print them? That way you could just leave it there all year and only remove the driver bar code after events and when car swapping. The Slowe Azz will be joining the 22nd century & a new world order with barcodes!

John N

Vegan Powered Racing
52 ax =)
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

yeah, if you come up with a paypal donation thing for the LED board or maybe a new router that can support more WIFI users I'm sure you'd get a good chunk of money.

RDV, I will be contacting you about making me some barcode magnets :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
eage8

Post by eage8 »

bearda wrote:The magnet could go on the hood or fender close to the lower driver's side corner.
yeah, I imagine a lot of people's hoods are probably aluminum though :P the fender or door will probably work great though.
-Mike #887

BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Personally, I want a permanent sticker for the driver barcode to be applied to my helmet. For the vehicle, I want a reverse print static sticker. I would go for a permanent sticker for the vehicle, but the SUXASS frequently runs on at least two different tire types AND two different HP levels depending on the type of course. :|
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
echan

Post by echan »

hepcatz wrote:Scott,

If Ed accepts that idea, how much would they cost? It'd look a lot better than just tape and be durable to leave on all year.
CDC is willing to accept barcodes that are taped, magnetic, static, etc. The only requirement is that the barcode reader can read it. We just proposed the print, cut, and tape method for ease and money.
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

Just a thought on the .pdf barcode list for indexes. I'm hoping that there is no confusion with people cutting the incorrect bar code out for their index. Just to clarify, it appears that the index could be owned by either barcode shown above or below it. Not trying to be silly here, just trying to highlight a potential issue I see with the index sheets. Maybe add some lines to separate things a bit??

- Allen.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I would then be correct in assuming that this method will replace listing your horsepower/weight/tires at registration? This would be an issue if you use different tires(Rcomps for a dry day and street tires for a wet/cold day)at different events.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
eage8

Post by eage8 »

Dan133 wrote:I would then be correct in assuming that this method will replace listing your horsepower/weight/tires at registration? This would be an issue if you use different tires(Rcomps for a dry day and street tires for a wet/cold day)at different events.
not really, you just have 2 bar codes printed out, one for each set of tires. Use whichever bar code matches the tires you're using that day.
-Mike #887

The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

^ That's what I plan on doing. I'll do the same if I bring a different car, too. In fact, I printed out all my different indexes and will likely laminate them and just keep a description written on the back so I don't get them mixed up relative to my "formula" for that given day. I'll likely keep the driver/car number bar code taped to my helmet.

- Allen.
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

i don't get the idea of the led board, correction I do, but i see a flaw, When the sun shines on the LED board, it will make it more difficult to read, just thinking out loud
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

eage8 wrote:
Dan133 wrote:I would then be correct in assuming that this method will replace listing your horsepower/weight/tires at registration? This would be an issue if you use different tires(Rcomps for a dry day and street tires for a wet/cold day)at different events.
not really, you just have 2 bar codes printed out, one for each set of tires. Use whichever bar code matches the tires you're using that day.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

thehammer wrote:i don't get the idea of the led board, correction I do, but i see a flaw, When the sun shines on the LED board, it will make it more difficult to read, just thinking out loud

Also just out of curiosity, what will be done for the guests that attend for the first time on raceday, will you have barcodes for them onsite?
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
awptickes
Car: 2011 Honda CR-Z (silver)
CDC Member#: 464

Post by awptickes »

RDV needs to get in on this. If I can get a white on black 'knock-out' barcode for my driver number, that'd work for my helmet, and then another white knock-out on nothing for barcode vehicle index could go on my hideous Honda Racing Line windshield banner.
echan

Post by echan »

thehammer wrote:Also just out of curiosity, what will be done for the guests that attend for the first time on raceday, will you have barcodes for them onsite?
Non-members are assigned a number in the 900 series. Those numbers will be re-used for each event. I when we approve each non-member, we will send them the barcodes and instructions to place on their car. We will also have the ability to place barcodes on cars at the autox for participants that don't understand or walk-ons. The idea is to capture as many people as possible to have the barcodes on the cars BEFORE each event. Placing barcodes on 15 cars is much easier than trying to do it for 100 cars.
echan

Post by echan »

thehammer wrote:i don't get the idea of the led board, correction I do, but i see a flaw, When the sun shines on the LED board, it will make it more difficult to read, just thinking out loud
The display is suppose to have super intense light with a 50 degree visibility range. At $1100, it better work!