First event

Parking lots and traffic cones.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

First event

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Had a great time today minus the freezing cold weather. Had an awesome run against Fred for Small Bore. He got me by .05 seconds. Both of us were fighting hard for it. I feel as if there really wasn't much more i could have done. Especially considering I ran the same time, 44.89 on my 2nd and 3rd afternoon runs. I guess that's all I could do. Hats off Fred, can't wait for next Saturday at Bowie. I'll have my video up maybe tomorrow night after the WDCR event.

As for the event itself, seems like everything ran smoothly. Course cleared up nicely for afternoon runs. I dropped a couple seconds from my morning runs. Course was nice. I was sceptical about the bar code thing but it seems to have worked out great. I love having my helmet scanned at the line.. I felt like I was produce being checked out at the market lol
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: First event

Post by eage8 »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Had a great time today minus the freezing cold weather. Had an awesome run against Fred for Small Bore. He got me by .05 seconds. Both of us were fighting hard for it. I feel as if there really wasn't much more i could have done. Especially considering I ran the same time, 44.89 on my 2nd and 3rd afternoon runs. I guess that's all I could do. Hats off Fred, can't wait for next Saturday at Bowie. I'll have my video up maybe tomorrow night after the WDCR event.

As for the event itself, seems like everything ran smoothly. Course cleared up nicely for afternoon runs. I dropped a couple seconds from my morning runs. Course was nice. I was sceptical about the bar code thing but it seems to have worked out great. I love having my helmet scanned at the line.. I felt like I was produce being checked out at the market lol
I ended up with a 45.06, on my last run so I have you guys in my sites :) Small bore looks like it's going to be a lot of fun this year, I'm really looking forward to it.

The event definitely seemed to run great. Thanks to all the organizers (especially joe) for working over the winter on the new bar code system. it looks like it's working great. once we get a few small kinks worked out I think it'll be really awesome :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

It was great to finally run after a long winter. I've added my pictures to the CDC pool or you can go here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gohmchin/s ... 715939034/

John N
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

Yes. Many many thanks to Joe Seward. He got the software working well and then stayed up until 4:30 am last night to put the finishing touches on the timing system. I think he only got about a 30 minute nap!

Also, great event for the Morans running today's event and tomorrow's TNT.

Normally the organizers are a little rusty on the first event but today wasn't bad. The only glitch was that Mike left the amp at home, I left the utensils for the grill at home, and we couldn't find the radio battery (until the end of the day)! Overall a very good, safe, fun event!
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

I had a great time today...definitely had some cobwebs to shake out :D I think this is going to be a great season ahead and I'm looking forward to next weeks run. Inches away from FTD, so close, so close. Today was probably my only chance at getting FTD...oh well. Kudos to the organizers for putting on such a great event and cleaning up the track.
See everybody next week.
Matthew
High on PSI
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Talk about exceeding expectation! After checking out the lot yesterday I was pretty sure this event would be cancelled. I left the Cobra at home, loaded shovels, brooms, a blower, and a treaded Miata.

What a surprise, great course, excellent competition, and lots of fun. AJ and I pushed each other to some crazy place. The timing worked and their was a display....I must be dreaming.

Great job to everyone invloved. Thanks, (see Ed, I can be positive).
FredK
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

Had a great time today and hats off to the organizers and all others that get up in the wee hours of the morning to set up the course and make sure everything is prepared for us "arrive and drive" folk.

Also, for those of you who helped my dad and I out after the final heat was finished and I came to the unpleasant realization that I had locked my keys in the boot of the lotus (then had ask my wife and small children to drive 2hrs round trip to bring me the spare set!!) THANK YOU!!!!

PS: Can anybody explain how the car became catty-wompus?? I know I parked it parallel to the curb. Did you guys pick up the rear end and move it for security's sake while we were at dinner???? :shock: If that's the case, please remind me gently to never piss any of you guys off!! :lol:

- Allen...

PSS: Oh...and more HG events in the schedule, please....... and Summit, too.. ;)
KanosWRX

Post by KanosWRX »

I must say that was one of the best courses at Harry Grove I have ever raced on. Running heat 1A felt like a Rally-X and my car showed it for sure. It was covered in dirt and dust inside and out. Definitely times improved as the cars cleaned the driving line as the day went on. I dropped over a second from the morning to afternoon finally ending with a 44.7X which I was very happy with. The STI did well :) I hope we see more courses like that at Harry Grove. See everyone in about a month, won't be at Bowie :( but ill be at the next event in May.
mdbhokie
Car: 2008 Subaru STI
CDC Member#: 77

Post by mdbhokie »

Had a great time as well! Finished with a 45.1x. Not sure how that compared to the rest of the field, but I was happy with it.

Can't make it out next weekend, so I'm going to aim for May 8th to be my next event. Thanks again to all the organizers for putting on a fun event!

Here are the few pics that I took (also in the CDC flickr group): http://www.flickr.com/photos/24136705@N ... 715072512/
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

FredK wrote:What a surprise, great course, excellent competition, and lots of fun. AJ and I pushed each other to some crazy place. The timing worked and their was a display....I must be dreaming.
If the other high horsepower cars were any indication, you would have been slower in the Cobra, Fred. Great driving, BTW. And speaking of great driving, I want to drive like Jim Harris when I grow up (smooth and deceptively fast).

The display was remarkably easy to add in. We forgot to mention that the minutes field indicated number of cones, so I'm sure that was a bit confusing. We lost a router right at the start (worked fine when testing the course). It might have simply been too cold, but that's why we had two backups. There was one software lockup during the event, but it restarted fairly quickly. We still have a few bugs to work out, but I think the bar code thing will work. Thanks to everyone for putting those on your cars, as that saved us a ton of work.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Posted up some of my cheap vids from the two days:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gohmchin?feature=mhw4

John
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Here's my vid. Bit long since it's all the runs so if you want to see my fastest just skip to the last 2 runs. They are both 44.89...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3wv4DU2s0o
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLjXRy8XqNA

I wish I would have taken more seat time in the L at the T&T. I feel the car still has some issues that need to be sorted out (Too much understeer) but I need more seat time so I can get some confidence with it.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
ferris

Post by ferris »

BugBomb wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLjXRy8XqNA

I wish I would have taken more seat time in the L at the T&T. I feel the car still has some issues that need to be sorted out (Too much understeer) but I need more seat time so I can get some confidence with it.

That video makes it look so easy to drive that car ... damit
CamaroZ28cc
Car: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
CDC Member#: 495

Post by CamaroZ28cc »

The_Bishop wrote:Had a great time today and hats off to the organizers and all others that get up in the wee hours of the morning to set up the course and make sure everything is prepared for us "arrive and drive" folk.

Also, for those of you who helped my dad and I out after the final heat was finished and I came to the unpleasant realization that I had locked my keys in the boot of the lotus (then had ask my wife and small children to drive 2hrs round trip to bring me the spare set!!) THANK YOU!!!!

PS: Can anybody explain how the car became catty-wompus?? I know I parked it parallel to the curb. Did you guys pick up the rear end and move it for security's sake while we were at dinner???? :shock: If that's the case, please remind me gently to never piss any of you guys off!! :lol:

- Allen...

PSS: Oh...and more HG events in the schedule, please....... and Summit, too.. ;)
Hey there Allen, We moved your car back, just by pushing her, and locked your steering wheel to make sure no-one could push it around anywhere else. After initially looking at the blocking situation it was clear that someone appropriately motivated, with a flatbed, could easily load it up where it was, so we tried to move it so no one could get it, while leaving you enough room to get out, once you got the keys. Hope you got it picked up ok, and hope all is well with wife and kiddies after the drive! Not too many cars you could hide behind a solstice ;) we were glad to help :)

On a separate note, thanks to the organizers for a great couple events, I too was worried that we were going to have to cancel due to snow and gravel, but the lot and the course worked out great! I had a blast and can't wait for this Saturday!

-Brian
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

There was one small issue that I just remembered from the event. When working the course, it seemed there were a couple novice people working out on the grass and I'm pretty sure they were calling +1 even when it looked like the cone just wiggled and was still in the box. I'm sure they were probably just confused or didn't know the rules on cones. I think giving a short explination on course working would be good at the drivers meeting. If not there, maybe have a smaller meeting after the drivers meeting with the novice people to explain more and answer any questions they may have. Just a suggestion in case a novice gets a walkie talkie.
matt.baird
Car: 09 Hyundai Accent SE
CDC Member#: 276

Post by matt.baird »

Great first event. I really liked the barcode system and new timing display.

I would like someone to ride along with me for a few morning runs at Bowie this weekend, I could use some FWD pointers. This was only my 2nd autocross with this car, I am getting used to it but I feel like I could be quicker.

Any tire pressure tips? Last november I ended up at 37F/42R psi just winging it for my first time out and it was so-so, This past weekend I had 42F/30R psi and it was much better.

Trying the stock (less grippy) tires on the rear for the afternoon runs didnt make a handling difference (they were heavier wheels and lower profile tires, I think thats why it didnt really help)... I think I would have been a little faster had just left the tires alone. I was just experimenting.
Matt
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

matt.baird wrote:Great first event. I really liked the barcode system and new timing display.

I would like someone to ride along with me for a few morning runs at Bowie this weekend, I could use some FWD pointers. This was only my 2nd autocross with this car, I am getting used to it but I feel like I could be quicker.

Any tire pressure tips? Last november I ended up at 37F/42R psi just winging it for my first time out and it was so-so, This past weekend I had 42F/30R psi and it was much better.

Trying the stock (less grippy) tires on the rear for the afternoon runs didnt make a handling difference (they were heavier wheels and lower profile tires, I think thats why it didnt really help)... I think I would have been a little faster had just left the tires alone. I was just experimenting.
I should be able to ride with you. You're running 2nd heat right? As for pressures, I can't say much. Sounds like the first time you had it would do better, 37/42. I'd get a better idea for it after riding though.
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Well, I'm not sure that I'll be making it to the next event. Parts are ordered, but not scheduled to come in till friday. Swerved around a car, hit a pothole which caused the lower balljoint to break out of the knuckle, which caused the axle to come out of the trans, which then caused the body damage. :evil:

Well, I cant figure out how to upload the image....its pretty bad..that's all you need to know.
High on PSI
matt.baird
Car: 09 Hyundai Accent SE
CDC Member#: 276

Post by matt.baird »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote: I should be able to ride with you. You're running 2nd heat right? As for pressures, I can't say much. Sounds like the first time you had it would do better, 37/42. I'd get a better idea for it after riding though.
Thanks AJ, yes 2nd heat next weekend.

its hard to make the tire pressure comparison a few months apart, But the pressures this past weekend I believe felt better.

Trying to research online for suggestions for an autocross fwd tire pressure stagger only gets you opinions in one direction or the other. I guess the idea of a lower rear pressure is to allow the sidewalls to flex more, perhaps only giving the percieved feeling of the rear end wanting to rotate a little more when turning in. I definately felt that on a few turns, but its only relative. Still a nice helping of understeer to deal with.
:D
Matt
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Here's my vid. Bit long since it's all the runs so if you want to see my fastest just skip to the last 2 runs. They are both 44.89...

Here is a comparison of two of my runs to AJs. Upper left is a 45.8, lower left is my best run. I didn't get a time for the lower left, but was faster than a 45.8 by a fraction of a second. Right side is AJ's last run of 44.8. The Civic has me from the start line. I set it up so that all videos start 1 frame before the cars start moving off the line.

The video is in 1080P so you should be able to blow it up to a good size if you have the bandwidth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2FXyQ5hu-I

Dan, I think you did end up faster than me. I really hope my tires get sticker next weekend.
evolicious

Post by evolicious »

Here's a pic of the carnage...the pic really doesn't do it justice...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
High on PSI
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

david.valeri wrote:
AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Here's my vid. Bit long since it's all the runs so if you want to see my fastest just skip to the last 2 runs. They are both 44.89...

Here is a comparison of two of my runs to AJs. Upper left is a 45.8, lower left is my best run. I didn't get a time for the lower left, but was faster than a 45.8 by a fraction of a second. Right side is AJ's last run of 44.8. The Civic has me from the start line. I set it up so that all videos start 1 frame before the cars start moving off the line.

The video is in 1080P so you should be able to blow it up to a good size if you have the bandwidth.

Dan, I think you did end up faster than me. I really hope my tires get sticker next weekend.
Very cool. It's really hard to try to watch both of you at the same time, but still very cool nonetheless.

I need to get a camera to mount in my car...
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

The miata just didn't stand a chance on launch Dave. The dirt plus cold temps and R comps dont make a good combination. Your tires will def. get stickier as the temps go up. That may even help with your fronts locking up some under braking.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

david.valeri wrote:

Very cool, I've never seen a comparison video like that. Looks like most of the time difference was probably off the start. Like bugman said, with a clean lot and hot temps, your launch should be better. I didn't have much problem launching mine. FWD on a slick surface like that + grippy tires and no tq is actually a good thing. Esp accelerating out of turns, I can just hammer it ;)