Bowie Auto-x April 3rd

Parking lots and traffic cones.
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Re: Bowie Auto-x April 3rd

Post by draxcaliber »

pomegranatesix wrote:I had a lot of fun, and this was my first CDC event. I'll definitely come back again. (Not so sure about my friend, though. I'm surprised her boyfriend made her stick around and ride along with him for his last runs in the 4th heat.)

I attribute my slow times to not having enough stickers on my car. Next time I'll keep in mind to put more tape on my car (and learn to find a better line.)
yeah, that was such a harsh way to be introduced to autocross, is she okay or still shaken up? my girlfriend came to watch me autocross for the first time last week and was talking about how she wants to start, but is afraid she'll crash. i'm kinda relieved she couldn't make it this week or else she might be freaking out that she might do that.
wrathe74
Car: 1974 Opel Manta
CDC Member#: 523

Post by wrathe74 »

Thank you Edwin and AJ for letting me borrow your cars yesterday....they were a blast to drive. They are each prepped very well with a little bit different approach to how to handle each of them. Both felt really great thru the slaloms...and the feedback was really good; not like my RSX that bites you if you treat her badly in a turn :P

If anyone watches AJ's or Wades, Freds runs...on the upper lot, there was a really good line to travel, and I think that is where they were getting most of us - that, and Wade went thru the slalom like it was a straight line :) . I hit that line once...but not on my best run; I gotta remember to look further ahead - my goal for this year.
-- Jason
pomegranatesix
Car: 2006 Acura RSX-S

Post by pomegranatesix »

draxcaliber wrote: yeah, that was such a harsh way to be introduced to autocross, is she okay or still shaken up? my girlfriend came to watch me autocross for the first time last week and was talking about how she wants to start, but is afraid she'll crash. i'm kinda relieved she couldn't make it this week or else she might be freaking out that she might do that.
Talk about feeling like a jackass - before she went, she asked me if she was going to wreck her car. I said, and I quote, "Nah, you'll be fine, the worst you'll do is hit a couple of cones. I ran over a ton of cones my first time autocrossing, but it's a lot of fun!"

She's okay now, I think, but upset over "inconveniencing" everyone and worried about cost of repairs.
More enthusiasm than skill.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

pomegranatesix wrote:I attribute my slow times to not having enough stickers on my car. Next time I'll keep in mind to put more tape on my car (and learn to find a better line.)
Is the GO!!!!! a tribute to Mikko Hirvonen?

I didn't nail the time I wanted yesterday, only half of it. By that I mean that my last run, I was clean on the upper half but the tires were graining and they betrayed me after the last bit of the slalom. This will perhaps be the last I see of these things, as next CDC event, we should have our new V710's on the car. I'd have gotten them mounted today but I just found out it's Easter.
Last edited by flohtingPoint on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomegranatesix
Car: 2006 Acura RSX-S

Post by pomegranatesix »

flohtingPoint wrote:
pomegranatesix wrote:I attribute my slow times to not having enough stickers on my car. Next time I'll keep in mind to put more tape on my car (and learn to find a better line.)
Close but not quite, I'm actually a Sebastien Loeb fan :)

Last edited by pomegranatesix on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More enthusiasm than skill.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

AH Loeb, best driver there is.

I agree, AJ, Wade and Fred put down awesome skilled runs- as usual.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

pomegranatesix wrote:
flohtingPoint wrote:
Close but not quite, I'm a Sebastien Loeb fan to be honest :)

Loeb is what I meant, my bad. More of a F1 fan, dont follow WRC much. I just remember seeing the GO!!!!!!!!!! car back in 06 when I was at the Trier Rally. We wound up stuck in traffic together, about four car lengths apart between stages.

hepcatz wrote:AH Loeb, best driver there is.

I agree, AJ, Wade and Fred put down awesome skilled runs- as usual.
Maybe in a Rally car... But this man is the best driver on the WRC grid:

ToddWaters929

Post by ToddWaters929 »

Yesterday was my first run with CDC and it was a blast! I appreciate the laid back and friendly atmosphere. I got some good pics from the meet and I posted the better ones up on Flickr earlier today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49008892@N ... 768300948/

Todd
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Todd, glad you had a great time, hope to see you at other events.

Jim, S.L. usually wins those ultimate driver contests where top drivers from multiple forms of racing compete. Though I'd hate to put down my Mclaren boys, if I made a list of current top drivers, Loeb would be at #1. He may actually have a French accent, but doesn't throw temper tantrums or slap his co -driver... lol.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

hepcatz wrote:Todd, glad you had a great time, hope to see you at other events.

Jim, S.L. usually wins those ultimate driver contests where top drivers from multiple forms of racing compete. Though I'd hate to put down my Mclaren boys, if I made a list of current top drivers, Loeb would be at #1. He may actually have a French accent, but doesn't throw temper tantrums or slap his co -driver... lol.
Is Montoya competing in this? I've never seen these ultimate driver contests but JPM can pretty much drive anything.

Check out Loeb's GP2 test before Abu Dhabi last year in Jerez, where he was dead last amongst open wheel fledglings. Loeb is a fine driver in his own sport (evidenced by his multiple championships), but there is a reason why F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing. Besides, we all know the best current driver sits in the monocoque of a Ferrari =P

And now my master plan is complete, successfully derailing the thread. It's just payback to Bowie for cursing me with bad luck. Perhaps I should attend a Baysox game or something and get back in the good graces with the parking lot gods that rule that arena.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

flohtingPoint wrote:
hepcatz wrote:Todd, glad you had a great time, hope to see you at other events.

Is Montoya competing in this? I've never seen these ultimate driver contests but JPM can pretty much drive anything.

Check out Loeb's GP2 test before Abu Dhabi last year in Jerez, where he was dead last amongst open wheel fledglings. Loeb is a fine driver in his own sport (evidenced by his multiple championships), but there is a reason why F1 is the pinnacle of motor racing. Besides, we all know the best current driver sits in the monocoque of a Ferrari =P

And now my master plan is complete, successfully derailing the thread. It's just payback to Bowie for cursing me with bad luck. Perhaps I should attend a Baysox game or something and get back in the good graces with the parking lot gods that rule that arena.
I'm pretty sure Loeb has won the race of champions like 3 of 4 times or something crazy (every time he's entered it). and schumacher is usually there.

That being said... I don't like him because he wins all the time... it's annoying.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
IhasRoadster
Car: 1995 White Miata
CDC Member#: 509

Post by IhasRoadster »

I had a great time yesterday. I was disappointed that I didn't get under 38 but I'm looking forward to next month.
TopGear
CDC Member#: 0

Post by TopGear »

I had a great time yesterday!I was in the yellow s2k.

I got a ton of photos that I'll post once I get the chance. If you were in group 1, 2, or 3 I probably got a shot of you :)
TopGear

Post by TopGear »

ToddWaters929 wrote:Yesterday was my first run with CDC and it was a blast! I appreciate the laid back and friendly atmosphere. I got some good pics from the meet and I posted the better ones up on Flickr earlier today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49008892@N ... 768300948/

Todd
Nice shots! You got a really good one of me (yellow s2k)
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

wrathe74 wrote:Thank you Edwin and AJ for letting me borrow your cars yesterday....they were a blast to drive. They are each prepped very well with a little bit different approach to how to handle each of them. Both felt really great thru the slaloms...and the feedback was really good; not like my RSX that bites you if you treat her badly in a turn :P

If anyone watches AJ's or Wades, Freds runs...on the upper lot, there was a really good line to travel, and I think that is where they were getting most of us - that, and Wade went thru the slalom like it was a straight line :) . I hit that line once...but not on my best run; I gotta remember to look further ahead - my goal for this year.
No problem Jason. Yeah there were a couple spots on that course where looking far ahead was necessary. I really realized it after my 2nd morning run.
pomegranatesix wrote:
draxcaliber wrote: yeah, that was such a harsh way to be introduced to autocross, is she okay or still shaken up? my girlfriend came to watch me autocross for the first time last week and was talking about how she wants to start, but is afraid she'll crash. i'm kinda relieved she couldn't make it this week or else she might be freaking out that she might do that.
Talk about feeling like a jackass - before she went, she asked me if she was going to wreck her car. I said, and I quote, "Nah, you'll be fine, the worst you'll do is hit a couple of cones. I ran over a ton of cones my first time autocrossing, but it's a lot of fun!"

She's okay now, I think, but upset over "inconveniencing" everyone and worried about cost of repairs.
What happened? My friend, my dad, and my friends dad were all in the paddock talking and we all heard something loud like someone crashed. We all just kinda looked at eachother and said "uh oh...". We didn't go up to check it out though.

Heres my video of my runs and also Jason's afternoon runs.

Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPZq_AuWlE

Jason's runs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdRCK-pZHJo

I don't know Jason's exact times which is why I left them out of the video. I just remember his last 2 runs were low 35's and his last run was coned.
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote: What happened? My friend, my dad, and my friends dad were all in the paddock talking and we all heard something loud like someone crashed. We all just kinda looked at eachother and said "uh oh...". We didn't go up to check it out though.
I refer you to:
BugBomb wrote:Overall, it was a fun day and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary happened. At all.
wrathe74 wrote:Thank you Edwin and AJ for letting me borrow your cars yesterday....they were a blast to drive. They are each prepped very well with a little bit different approach to how to handle each of them. Both felt really great thru the slaloms...and the feedback was really good; not like my RSX that bites you if you treat her badly in a turn :P
What can I say; a civic with konis and a big rear swaybar makes for a good platform. My "prep" this year amounted to making it way less aggressive of an autox car so i can't take credit. <3 me some double a-arms...
"Opinionated"
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

66th out of 116 for me (raw time). I never got 100% comfortable all day. Started off running new (to me) 'race' tires and they turned out to be about the same as the street tires I'm more familiar with, with the bonus of me fearing for my life driving to and from the event as they tried chasing every little rut on 301. Won't make that mistake again.

The tires are Yoko Advan 032R or something like that. I bought a set of Kosei K1 wheels over the winter and these were the tires that were on them. Wasn't interested in the tires, just the wheels, but I figured since they were on, I'd give them a ride. I did, I found out I didn't like them, so I'll be ordering some decent street tires for the new wheels. Anyone want a set of Advans cheap?

I think I figured out my OffCourse problem. I ran at Bowie with the BMW group a couple weeks ago and they had a big left turn starting about halfway up the hill pointing right at the timing tent, and that's where I went this time instead of following the slalom to the right up the hill this time. Dunce cap for me. Missed the last cone of the slalom on my second run and got another OC and that one rattled me. After that I spent more effort making sure I didn't keep looking like an idiot and little else.

Hopefully next time out I'll have my head on right and get off to a better start, which will translate into picking up time as the day goes on.

On the plus side, I brought home a metric assload of photos to go through and pick out the good ones. Might even have them all done and posted before the morning.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Claff wrote:Yoko Advan 032R or something like that.
Burn them! Seriously, watching the fire will be more entertaining than racing on them. We are using a set of 255-width A032Rs on the SUXASS right now. I thought we screwed up part of the suspension because I had never felt the car understeer like this, even when we first built it. Jacob's RS with 215-width Kumho XS street tires has more lateral grip than the SUXASS right now thanks to these things.

If you are stuck with them for now, try using lower tire pressures. My best run was with the lowest pressure. They start to feel squishy but I think the grip is improved.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Thanks for the pictures guys (Im #486 M3 heat 1 white, my friend was codriving my car in heat 2). I had street tires, but I did notice the lot had a lot less grip than I was used to (I dunno why, but it seemed gone, maybe my RS2s are heat-cycled out). I ended up getting my best time in the morning despite the increased grip in the afternoon, I think I got too hot and uncomfortable and just performed terribly. Would like to see how I did indexed, but they dont have my times in the results!! ahh!

Great meeting some of you, its been years since ive been with CDC, and I do enjoy how the heats are setup again, I forgot how nice that setup is compared to SCCA, NASA, etc.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

Here are some videos of my runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY8WOL4smYE

Only the first one is car mounted, it was a 35.7 I think, I later dropped down to a 35.2.

I need to get a camera mount so I can take more video in the future, it's definitely really helpful.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
flohtingPoint

Post by flohtingPoint »

eage8 wrote:Here are some videos of my runs.

Only the first one is car mounted, it was a 35.7 I think, I later dropped down to a 35.2.

I need to get a camera mount so I can take more video in the future, it's definitely really helpful.
I have one you can use if you stage in a line that the Corolla isn't in. Hit me up next time.
EricKeely

Post by EricKeely »

pomegranatesix wrote:

Whoa, was there a crash after I left Saturday? (I only did morning runs...)
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

eage8 wrote:Here are some videos of my runs.

If you want, you can borrow my camera mount next time, I got one that hooks to headrests that have the 2 metal poles. Seek me out at the next autox and you can borrow it (or even buy it for only $45 bucks), its a real nice one.
gimp
Car: 1981 Camaro

Post by gimp »

EricKeely wrote:
Whoa, was there a crash after I left Saturday? (I only did morning runs...)
Nope.
--Paul Przyborski
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

BugBomb wrote:Burn them! Seriously, watching the fire will be more entertaining than racing on them. We are using a set of 255-width A032Rs on the SUXASS right now. I thought we screwed up part of the suspension because I had never felt the car understeer like this, even when we first built it. Jacob's RS with 215-width Kumho XS street tires has more lateral grip than the SUXASS right now thanks to these things.
I had the intention of running them till they're kaput but I don't think I have the patience for that. I'm not going to change tires on site so whatever I wind up running on will be on the car for the drive to and from the event, and I just didn't feel comfortable on the 032Rs on 301. I have gained permission to get a set of RE11s for these wheels so the Yokos will be history. I might try one more event on them at lower pressure (I ran at 35/30 Saturday) to see if there's any improvement, real close to home (BMWCCA runs Waldorf in a couple weeks), and after that they'll get taken off the K1s and given away to some poor sap.