Bowie results

Parking lots and traffic cones.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Bowie results

Post by kyle.bowker »

Jim Harris wrote:Not sure which lots you struck out on, but what about Maryland State Police/Sykesville and Regency Furniture/Blue Crab/Waldorf? BMW Club uses both.
The Maryland State Police training center at Sykesville made it clear they did not want our business by requiring increased insurance coverage that makes it cost prohibitive. FedEx did the same thing to us. The large national clubs like SCCA and BMWCCA can afford the increased insurance coverage because they have a much larger membership base over which to amortize the cost. The NCCBMWCCA has over 6,000 members with a treasury balance of ~$100k. Once you factor in the support available from the parent organization and it's clear they have much deeper pockets then we do and can afford to run a loss on certain types of events in order to provide them to their membership (I have no clue how successful their auto-x program is or whether they actually do run at a profit or loss). I can't remember all the details of the Waldorf lot but I think it was a combination of availability, cost, and head organizer willing to host the event.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

The HG event was odd because of how dirty the lot was. I consider the Bowie event a fluke. I really don't expect to take Index anymore. Although this year I may have a shot at placing higher due to Fred breathing down my neck and pushing me harder than ever before. We are really improving eachothers driving, Fred mentioned he's drivig his cobra harder after running his miata. The only thing that helps me score high in Index is running street tires. If anyone wants to give me a nice new set of r-comps to bump me down in rankngs I'll gladly take them :D
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

We usually set up tighter courses early in the season, especially at Bowie with the limited run-off room and loose surface. Plus, everyone's a little rusty at first. I expect the courses will open up a bit more later. I'd like to rent a jack hammer and remove the divider to that lower lot at Bowie.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I'll pay for the jack hammer.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
thehammer
Car: 1994 miata MX-5
CDC Member#: 800

Post by thehammer »

look we have raised $0 so far in renting what ever costs a million dollars WHOO!!!!! Image
CDC member # 800
1991 Mercury Capri White(gone)
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 Red(gone)
1994 Mazda Miata White
2008 Volkswagon Eos Silver
http://www.facebook.com/steven.hamrick
or twitter @stevenhamrick
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

I think you would get lots of donations for that jack hammer, If only we could.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
gimp
Car: 1981 Camaro
CDC Member#: 0

Post by gimp »

JoeTR6 wrote:We usually set up tighter courses early in the season, especially at Bowie with the limited run-off room and loose surface. Plus, everyone's a little rusty at first. I expect the courses will open up a bit more later. I'd like to rent a jack hammer and remove the divider to that lower lot at Bowie.
I've run on the lower lot. It's dirty, and the pavement is worse. You aren't missing much.
--Paul Przyborski
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

gimp wrote:
JoeTR6 wrote:We usually set up tighter courses early in the season, especially at Bowie with the limited run-off room and loose surface. Plus, everyone's a little rusty at first. I expect the courses will open up a bit more later. I'd like to rent a jack hammer and remove the divider to that lower lot at Bowie.
I've run on the lower lot. It's dirty, and the pavement is worse. You aren't missing much.
I think there is a you're mom joke some where in there. :oops:
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

gimp wrote:
I've run it once, and agree. The AWD guys might like it (until they see all the gravel chips on their fenders). For the rest of us, it's an old, disintegrating surface, heavy sloped and didn't add much to the event, IMO.
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I've run it a couple times and it's not that bad as long as you avoid the third of the lot that is closest to the BJs. BMW ran there last month and it wasn't bad; and having a 50+ second course at Bowie is not necessarily a bad thing.