Bowie 5/8

Parking lots and traffic cones.
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Re: Bowie 5/8

Post by evolicious »

^^^ Star Specs are the best tire for the money, I believe.... but there are better ones out there. If you're that good of a driver and can eek out that tenth or two, then get a different one. :) I personally will only run star specs from here on out...maybe slicks once I get better...but that's many moons from now.
High on PSI
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Another great CDC event, still picking sand out of my eyes and nose. Can't figure out why AM seemed better than PM. Also, there were two other vegetarians present so we are indeed taking over with our soy sausages... muwhahaha :lol: I have some suspension parts on the way, can't wait. See everyone at Woodbridge.

John
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

david.valeri wrote:Funny, I corrected your info in the timing computer in the morning. I am guessing that Mike used the time sheets and not the computer data to do the results.
That was my bad. I forgot to use the corrected registration data when I dumped the results from the timing computer. Another thing you may notice is that the individual tire/weight/hp indices may be wrong, but the total multiplier should be right. Basically, the original index bar-code only had the final index, not the components. For those, I pick a set of index components that gets the right total index. The newer index bar-code has the tire/weight/hp index as a code, which is really better. I'll get the PDF for the newer ones up on the website this week. While we're at it, this can also fix another problem; we can identify whether a car is in small-bore by it's index bar-code.

The only problem we had with timing (besides the wireless bar-code scanner running out of charge) were the sensors blowing around. I have some used Lexus brake rotors to use as a base, but those might just be a bit of overkill (they weight about as much as my Miata's wheels). We can probably scrounge up some Sprite or Miata rotors to use the next time the wind howls like that.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Actually, I did not use the calculated index from the barcode data. The GDocs spreadsheet calculates the index by multiplying the 3 categories together, so I only copy the 3 categories and let it calculate the total. That way, if anyone asks to change their tire index or whatever, I don't have to recalculate their index. Unfortunately, this might cause some index issues until everyone starts using the new barcode style.

This event's results are 95% from the barcode system. I only used the timesheets to double-check the data and make a couple, small changes, so we are getting closer to not needing the timesheets. Even if we didn't need them, they still make a nice emergency backup.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

JoeTR6 wrote:
david.valeri wrote:Funny, I corrected your info in the timing computer in the morning. I am guessing that Mike used the time sheets and not the computer data to do the results.
That was my bad. I forgot to use the corrected registration data when I dumped the results from the timing computer. Another thing you may notice is that the individual tire/weight/hp indices may be wrong, but the total multiplier should be right. Basically, the original index bar-code only had the final index, not the components. For those, I pick a set of index components that gets the right total index. The newer index bar-code has the tire/weight/hp index as a code, which is really better. I'll get the PDF for the newer ones up on the website this week. While we're at it, this can also fix another problem; we can identify whether a car is in small-bore by it's index bar-code.

The only problem we had with timing (besides the wireless bar-code scanner running out of charge) were the sensors blowing around. I have some used Lexus brake rotors to use as a base, but those might just be a bit of overkill (they weight about as much as my Miata's wheels). We can probably scrounge up some Sprite or Miata rotors to use the next time the wind howls like that.
I've got two Civic rotors banging around in Stephanie's trunk. The club can have them.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

FredK wrote:I'm having more fun in smallbore than I've had in a while autocrossing, fun bunch and great competition. Everyones really going after it.
Agreed! That's the worst I've placed in SB but I'm not complaining. Great runs by everyone! I think I was just out tire'd/miata'd this event. I couldn't carry much momentum throughout the course which is what I rely on in my car. My car even drove better than the last few(non-cdc) event's now that I got my alignment where it needed to be. I hope everyone keeps on their A game. I need this pressure to push me hard to get ready for the infamous '89 Civic SI's I'm up against for ProSolo ;). If I can beat or get close to CSP Miata's, I'll feel more confident going against those pesky '89's.
hepcatz wrote:Another great CDC event, still picking sand out of my eyes and nose. Can't figure out why AM seemed better than PM. Also, there were two other vegetarians present so we are indeed taking over with our soy sausages... muwhahaha :lol: I have some suspension parts on the way, can't wait. See everyone at Woodbridge.

John
Yeah I'm puzzled, maybe the dust? I drove just as smooth and hard, if not better in the afternoon but I was very consistently slower in the afternoon. My morning runs were 35.65, 35.43(+1), 35.54 and my afternoon were 36.22, 35.69(+2), 35.69, 35.64. With the extra run there was a bit more heat in the tires but still not close to my best raw morning run...

I should have my video up tomorrow hopefully..
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdvq-NoNSL0

Let me know if it crops the video on your computer as well. If you can't see the A pillars, it was cropped. For some reason, YouTube's playback is messed up on this video. If you switch to full screen, the cropping goes away.
AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Decided to do the video tonight...3rd run in the video was my best, 2nd was my best raw time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFl-sB6r_Gs

After watching David's, definitely seems like tire/car combo. Pretty similar line and I'm sure everyone else was the same too. Maybe I'll prep for FSP next year :twisted: That hatch at WDCR kills in that class, if I could get near him I think I'd be set... Just need some money :|
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

BugBomb wrote:Actually, I did not use the calculated index from the barcode data. The GDocs spreadsheet calculates the index by multiplying the 3 categories together, so I only copy the 3 categories and let it calculate the total. That way, if anyone asks to change their tire index or whatever, I don't have to recalculate their index. Unfortunately, this might cause some index issues until everyone starts using the new barcode style.

This event's results are 95% from the barcode system. I only used the timesheets to double-check the data and make a couple, small changes, so we are getting closer to not needing the timesheets. Even if we didn't need them, they still make a nice emergency backup.
Awesome, thanks Mike for the fast results.

Could you double check my sheet? I could have sworn I had a 35.1 but it could have had a cone. I know they were having issues with my bar codes though...

yeah, I definitely felt like it was slower in the afternoon too. It might have been the dust or it might have just been my tires overheating a bit. They were getting pretty hot.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Yeah this was most def. a miata course. Normally I can hang with ya guys near the front but I had no hope on this course. Looks like small bore might need some tire rules though.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

eage8 wrote:Could you double check my sheet? I could have sworn I had a 35.1 but it could have had a cone. I know they were having issues with my bar codes though...
You did have a 35.17, but it wasn't a +1...it was a +2. Sorry, man. :)

Good showing regardless. Less than a second from FTD.
Mike M
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

Here's in car of my best, for what its worth (not much).

Not too many opportunities to unleash the beast on that tight Ted J special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc0jHyQj1Lk
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

Smallbore results are complete.

I like how AJ and Fred are splitting SB and Index championship right now.
Mike M
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Ben L wrote:Here's in car of my best, for what its worth (not much).
wow! ~1.3G lateral acceleration is pretty darn good!
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

kyle.bowker wrote:
Ben L wrote:Here's in car of my best, for what its worth (not much).
wow! ~1.3G lateral acceleration is pretty darn good!
The BDC was turning pretty well, and yet, good only for seventh place in Saturday's tight mix.

Its amazing how close the fast times were.

A few scant tenths made the difference between a podium finish and a Milk Bone.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

BugBomb wrote:
eage8 wrote:Could you double check my sheet? I could have sworn I had a 35.1 but it could have had a cone. I know they were having issues with my bar codes though...

haha, man! One day I'll beat Fred...

It was fun having FTD for all of about 5 minutes until Frank ran :P

congrats Frank on the FTD :)

I need to start watching my back to hold on to my 4th place in small lol
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

drum brakes usually provide a greater mechanical advantage which means more stopping force for any given petal pressure. they're usually lighter too. some autox lovers have converter discs to drums to save weight. not good for mountain downhill or roadcoursing though.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
drakedeming
Car: EVO RS
CDC Member#: 666

Post by drakedeming »

Could someone check ali deming's times? She thought she ran a clean 37.3x in the morning and she is listed as a 38.2x for her time. Thanks!
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Mike,

That was a great run!

John
eage8 wrote:
BugBomb wrote:

haha, man! One day I'll beat Fred...

It was fun having FTD for all of about 5 minutes until Frank ran :P

congrats Frank on the FTD :)

I need to start watching my back to hold on to my 4th place in small lol
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

The reason it was a Miata course is because smallbore is fun and getting really competitive, everyone's going alot faster. If Wade, Larry, and I had showed up it would have been a Cobra course.

Their were several sections where the underpowered cars lost all momentum and didn't have the power to get it back any time soon.

If your time was slower than you thought think back to that thwack sound you may have heard and don't make Mike go through all the results, it's CDC. Or better yet check your timesheet before you leave.

I told everyone I was FTD one time...then the results came out on Wed. oops. Lesson learned.

Fred
drakedeming
Car: EVO RS
CDC Member#: 666

Post by drakedeming »

drakedeming wrote:Could someone check ali deming's times? She thought she ran a clean 37.3x in the morning and she is listed as a 38.2x for her time. Thanks!

She remembers seeing her morning runs on the time sheet with no +1 next to the time
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

drakedeming wrote:
drakedeming wrote:Could someone check ali deming's times? She thought she ran a clean 37.3x in the morning and she is listed as a 38.2x for her time. Thanks!
She remembers seeing her morning runs on the time sheet with no +1 next to the time
Before I answer your question, I just want to say one thing. This new barcode system is really neat. Between all the tools I have available from registration to the detailed output from the timing laptop, I can practically reconstruct specific moments of the event. Plus, I can contact people who may have witnessed an event under scrutiny. But sometimes all the data isn't quite enough.

This data shows me that Scott was on course in his STi at the same time as Ali. One of them hit a cone. This cone was attributed to Ali on the timing computer, but it was given to Scott on the timesheets. The cone doesn't affect Scott since it wasn't his best run. The cone did not delay the next driver, so that doesn't help narrow it down. In this case, the data does not help me determine the owner of the cone. I don't want to penalize anyone for our mistake, so I will give Ali the benefit of the doubt.
Mike M
kcook

Post by kcook »

Hey Mike, when does the Driver Championship Points get updated? I placed 5th saturday with 97 pts but it has not updated.
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

kcook wrote:Hey Mike, when does the Driver Championship Points get updated? I placed 5th saturday with 97 pts but it has not updated.
Sorry, for some reason you were given a temporary number at the last event (903). I don't know how that happened, but I changed the results to reflect your actual number (256). The championship points rely on fixed driver numbers, so that's why it had not updated for you.
Mike M
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Was Bryan Rut driving a 2010 Sti? Hes got 100-150hp ;)

I compare cars to estimate where I am, wondering if he was in a miata which would make total sense.