Bowie 5/8

Parking lots and traffic cones.
bugman1964

Bowie 5/8

Post by bugman1964 »

Hey guys the registration is now open for the next bowie event on the 8th of May. which is next week :o . After a month off it's time to rev it up again.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: Bowie 5/8

Post by eage8 »

bugman1964 wrote:Hey guys the registration is now open for the next bowie event on the 8th of May. which is next week :o . After a month off it's time to rev it up again.
yay! I'm looking forward to it :)

my corolla currently has 1 rear disc brake and 1 rear drum brake.... I should probably finish that up...
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

depends....could be an advantage depending on which way the course turns the most. :mrgreen:
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
ferris

Post by ferris »

I went through all last season without knowing my rear calipers were seized ... my times havn't changed that much since last year

My conclusion, rear brakes aren't important, just disconnect the brake lines ... maybe my times will be closer to yours then
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

That's only cause most cars have the bias towards the front brakes from the factory casue that where the weight transfers too.. But ya still need the back ones they do help out.
ferris

Post by ferris »

bugman1964 wrote:That's only cause most cars have the bias towards the front brakes from the factory casue that where the weight transfers too.. But ya still need the back ones they do help out.
I was mostly joking (everything except my brakes being seized and my times)... especially about disconnecting the brake lines ...

I think my issue is that I do not know how to properly threshold brakes or know when the proper time to apply the brakes is ... rear brakes cannot help you if you do not use any of the brakes properly
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

I know you were joking but there is a valid reason why it may not have hurt your times as much, that and even seized brakes do still work some.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

ferris wrote:I went through all last season without knowing my rear calipers were seized ... my times havn't changed that much since last year

My conclusion, rear brakes aren't important, just disconnect the brake lines ... maybe my times will be closer to yours then
my rear drums haven't really been working for the past like 2 years :). The main reasons I'm going to rear discs is so I can put some decent pads back there and install some stainless steel brake lines. (the don't make them for my drums)

Also, drum brakes just seem annoying to work on.... (I never really bothered to learn how to change shoes...)

Does anyone know if drums or calipers take more pressure to work? I have both proportioning valves and I'm wondering which one I should use. I wouldn't mind putting a little bit of more rear bias than normal on.
-Mike #887

eage8

Post by eage8 »

ferris wrote:I went through all last season without knowing my rear calipers were seized ... my times havn't changed that much since last year

if I disconnected my rear brake lines, I could make brake fluid slicks in each braking zone and make everyone else spin out mario kart style :) I'd just have to do really good my first run...
-Mike #887

ferris

Post by ferris »

I thought drums took more pressure ... but I could be completely wrong. For some reason I thought that the piston area for the calipers was smaller than the area of the drum brakes. Again, I could be backwards.

I would think that a proportioning valve would be the way to go. They way you can dial in the exact front/rear bias you want for auto-x. I think most cars have too much front brake bias for auto-x. If I had thought of anything except getting my car running again I would have put a proportioning valve in when I had my entire brake system apart.
edfooliu
Car: 1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe
CDC Member#: 815

Post by edfooliu »

poor man's proportioning valve: raise the handbrake one or two clicks before you set off. Works for a lot of the civics; might be worth a try if pressed for time/money. Or different pads front/rear. Honestly, if you can lock up at will, you're fine..IMHO brakes have rapidly diminishing returns in autox.

alternatively, brake less. they just slow you down :mrgreen:
"Opinionated"
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Just a reminder guys this event is tomorrow we still have open space. Spread it around to your other forums. ;)
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

I wondered how that would work out with all that's going on this weekend. CDC...AI...Cumberland TNT all on the same day
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Like a bunch of roaches scattering in every direction when the lights turned on.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

yeah it is a busy weekend for a lot of clubs.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Worst case scenario: We get a small turnout; everyone gets extra runs & still goes home early

:)
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Are the scores up yet?? It's been 3 hours ;)

Good event today guys. Nice, tricky course and an extra run thrown in, and we still got out at a decent hour. My face hurts from the wind & sun.
eage8

Post by eage8 »

Gonz wrote:Are the scores up yet?? It's been 3 hours ;)

Good event today guys. Nice, tricky course and an extra run thrown in, and we still got out at a decent hour. My face hurts from the wind & sun.
yup, great event. I had a lot of fun as always and the course was challenging to say the least. I think this is the first time I was actually decently competitive at a bowie event. I've never seemed to find the speed there in the past.

looking forward the next woodbridge event :)
-Mike #887

pweishaupt

Post by pweishaupt »

thanks to ed chan and the other organizers whose names i didn't get. very well run and organized. my first autocross - and i sucked, but it was fun. maybe i'll have better luck at the woodbridge event. also many thanks to don and drake for letting the fng take a ride. it was nice to go to an event that wasn't sole marque. that morgan was the sweetest ride i've ever seen, and the corolla, wow man - that guy was fast!

pete
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Preliminary results are up on the CDC 2010 Results page. I do not have the smallbore data in there yet, but it will be there within 24 hours. If you find any problems with the results shown, please post in this thread or send me a PM.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

wow thats fast, thanks Mike!
Ryan P
FredK

Post by FredK »

That's great. I was registered in and drove the '95 miata not my Cobra. I'm smallbore. Thanks
FredK
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

FredK wrote:That's great. I was registered in and drove the '95 miata not my Cobra. I'm smallbore. Thanks
FredK
Funny, I corrected your info in the timing computer in the morning. I am guessing that Mike used the time sheets and not the computer data to do the results.

Also, my index numbers are incorrect. My tire multiplier should put me further down in the results.
FredK

Post by FredK »

I'm having more fun in smallbore than I've had in a while autocrossing, fun bunch and great competition. Everyones really going after it.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

pweishaupt wrote:thanks to ed chan and the other organizers whose names i didn't get. very well run and organized. my first autocross - and i sucked, but it was fun. maybe i'll have better luck at the woodbridge event. also many thanks to don and drake for letting the fng take a ride. it was nice to go to an event that wasn't sole marque. that morgan was the sweetest ride i've ever seen, and the corolla, wow man - that guy was fast!

pete
I am sorry I forget names, but were you the driver of the Porsche or M Roadster? Both of you did very well for your first autocross and I do have to apologize for the one ride I gave. First run, first corner absolutely mangled a cone straight on after I tell you to take it very easy on the first run :lol: I did end up playing with pressures, but that didnt even help, those tires were just gone. I am going to suck it up and finally buy brand new non-close out tires....now the decision....RS3s, XS, or Star Specs....

I noticed AJ was on RE11s but I think they are just out of my price range for how fast I go through tires. I wish I had more reviews when I bought the rs2s on closeout, didnt realize everybody complained about them heat-cycling out so quickly. Only got 8-9 autocrosses and one track weekend outta them. I think daily driving on them didnt help either. This next set I wont daily drive on them and hopefully get the rest of 2010 out of em without heat-cycling out.

Soo...anybody got any suggestions to what has worked for them?

PS- Thanks for quick results! Ouch for me though lol