New CDC Location

Parking lots and traffic cones.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

New CDC Location

Post by echan »

We will be adding additional events soon on our schedule near Winchester. Stay Tuned!
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Re: New CDC Location

Post by eage8 »

Winchester MD or VA? :P

EDIT: there may or may not be a winchester MD... google maps is being oddly cryptic haha.

I'm assuming it's VA which is far :(. what's the lot like?
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Winchester, VA. Large lot that can likely accommodate 60 second courses. The surface is in decent shape. More info to follow... but I will let you all speculate for now.

I remember when I was a young whippersnapper, we had to drive 2-3 hours to get to an Auto-X, each way, in the dark, uphill, in the rain, on bald tires... :roll:

I'm serious about the the 2-3 hours and the in the dark part since we had to get up and leave at 4:30 in the morning and you didn't get home until after dinner. People don't realize how lucky we are in this area to have 4+ clubs running events that are all within an hour or so of DC.
draxcaliber
Car: 2005 Turbo Scion tC
CDC Member#: 428

Post by draxcaliber »

super, how many events do you think we'll have there this year? about what weekends do you think we'll have them? this month, next month? november?
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

It is indeed a far drive for many of us, but the lot size and the potential it has may make you want to go there for the prices CDC charges.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Where is the thumbs up button :)
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
echan

Post by echan »

draxcaliber wrote:super, how many events do you think we'll have there this year? about what weekends do you think we'll have them? this month, next month? november?
We plan on scheduling 2 or 3 events there. We are not sure if we have enough time to get a date in June. If the venue works out, we will schedule additional events there. I think a lot depends on our participants - if they like the lot, location, and if we can generate enough interest there. It gets a little tricky because we have to estimate the "potential" of this venue.

CDC use to have over 50% of their membership come from VA, but when we lot the Osbourn site, our membership started to shifting more in the Frederick and Bowie areas. Now that we have Woodbridge, we have retrived some of our VA membership, but it takes time. So as we go to Winchester, VA, it will take time to attract participants that live in area (like Manassas, Centerville, etc).

Our goal is to provide fun safe events in various locations, so that everyone has at least some events where they don't have to drive too far. When everything works out correctly, we even try to adjust the number of events that participants can drop so that it is not too much effort making people drive too far to stay in the points running. The problem is that trying to get the lots, knowing the number of events, and finalizing the schedule makes the number events to be dropped difficult. That's the reason why we can't offer a season pass because we never know the final schedule until the season is almost over.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Here is some video of a short course from an Auto-X school that I attended out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhlU1mRo_1M
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

eage8 wrote:Winchester MD or VA? :P

EDIT: there may or may not be a winchester MD... google maps is being oddly cryptic haha.

I'm assuming it's VA which is far :(. what's the lot like?
The lot is big. It's not too far from Nova. It is pretty far from Columbia. Figure 15 minutes further than the Summit Point lot. I drove out there in May, for an event, and yeah, it was about 90 miles from Columbia. That's not bad in a modern car. In an older, louder, short geared car, it feels longer. I use ear plugs. I would do it once and see if you like it.

When I was out there in May , FTD was around 69 seconds, and average around 75, with almost no circling back. I hit the rev limiter in second gear in my six speed Miata. Very, very fun courses can be designed there.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

sounds like a great location! can't wait. hope that when you schedule it doesn't conflict with the other clubs. there's a few of us that try to autox every chance we get. so if this new spot fills a few of those empty weekends, it's an extra bonus.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

phranquelynn wrote:sounds like a great location! can't wait. hope that when you schedule it doesn't conflict with the other clubs. there's a few of us that try to autox every chance we get. so if this new spot fills a few of those empty weekends, it's an extra bonus.
If you would be kind enough to post a list of all of the other events you will be attending. I will personally ensure that we hold events on those days. Er... I mean don't hold events on those days.
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

I made up a Google calendar with pretty much every local-ish AX date in it: WDCR, AI, CDC, BMW, PCA.... can't think off the top of my head if I skipped any, maybe Cumberland? But I doubt I'd go to Cumberland for AX anyway.

I have that calendar embedded at the bottom of the front page of our little Parsimonious Racing site: http://www.claffie.com/pr
Bigbacon
Car: 2006 RX8 GT/87 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 611

Post by Bigbacon »

odd that VA people left because Frederick MD and Bowie are not really that far for us people in northern VA. I don't think I spent more than maybe 60 minutes to get to any event so far.

Any chance of making this a possible fast course for all the non miata people? So those with the muscle can get their motors going? (this is a suggestion from a GTO owner)
echan

Post by echan »

Bigbacon wrote:odd that VA people left because Frederick MD and Bowie are not really that far for us people in northern VA. I don't think I spent more than maybe 60 minutes to get to any event so far.

Any chance of making this a possible fast course for all the non miata people? So those with the muscle can get their motors going? (this is a suggestion from a GTO owner)
CDC typically designs courses at all locations with speeds below 60 mph.
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Bigbacon wrote:odd that VA people left because Frederick MD and Bowie are not really that far for us people in northern VA. I don't think I spent more than maybe 60 minutes to get to any event so far.

Good thing you added you own a gto, your car part of the screen name says rx8. There aint no muscle there :lol: .
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

NO muscle in a RX8, i beg to differ :)
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

earl998 wrote:NO muscle in a RX8, i beg to differ :)
compared to a civic possibly :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

earl998 wrote:NO muscle in a RX8, i beg to differ :)
Muscle implies tq, and tq is the one thing the rx8 struggles with. It's great at speed and it's great at handling but it could use some more grunt.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Can't wait, I'm always happy to have more events to attend, specially if it is with CDC!
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
echan

Post by echan »

The first event at the new lot will be Saturday July 3rd at James Wood HS, 161 Apple Pie Ridge Road
Winchester, VA 22603-4309.

We will add the event to the reservation system shortly.

More events at James Wood will follow.

Ed
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Awesome! :D
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
JuanDecaf
Car: '90 E30, '08 STi
CDC Member#: 630

Post by JuanDecaf »

Damn, I love apple pie! I'm out of town that weekend. Let us know how the lot works out
Bigbacon
Car: 2006 RX8 GT/87 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 611

Post by Bigbacon »

bugman1964 wrote:

Good thing you added you own a gto, your car part of the screen name says rx8. There aint no muscle there :lol: .
Actually, this was a suggestion from another member who owns a GTO but was too afraid to post his suggestion because he feared for his life from the miata crowd :)

I could care less what kind of course it is, I just want to have fun.
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

This is Stupendous! Good work echan and others!

- Allen.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

Winchester lot looks great and only 45 miles from hagerstown. Hate i have to miss the 1st one( will be at the beach) but anxiously awaiting the other dates. Thanks CDC !!!!