Woodbridge Autocross Saturday 7/10/10

Parking lots and traffic cones.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Woodbridge Autocross Saturday 7/10/10

Post by echan »

The event is still on.

The school's Activity Director has retired and the new one has not yet come on. So, we don't really have a way to call a rain date to the school, even if we want one. We are on the hook no matter what for the lot.

Ed
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Re: Woodbridge Autocross Saturday 7/10/10

Post by FredK »

What was the question??
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

They are calling for potential T-storms.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

Short answer: bring you umbrella and your sunscreen! See y'all out there tomorrow! I can't wait! This is my first auto-x of the year. It'll be good to shake loose all those cobwebs.
BIG MINI
Car: 2007 MINI Cooper S JCW
CDC Member#: 787

Post by BIG MINI »

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hi...this will be my first autocross event ever, and I'm really looking forward to it. To bad the weather may be a problem. It will be awesome to really see what my MINI can do.

I wish I would have found out about autocross sooner, it looks like a blast. See you tomorrow.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

BIG MINI wrote:Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hi...this will be my first autocross event ever, and I'm really looking forward to it. To bad the weather may be a problem. It will be awesome to really see what my MINI can do.

I wish I would have found out about autocross sooner, it looks like a blast. See you tomorrow.
Welcome!

Should be fun tomorrow. Make sure and ask questions. The more you ask, the more you learn. There will be plenty of people willing to give ride-alongs or pointers.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

mla163 wrote:
BIG MINI wrote:Hi everyone. I just wanted to say hi...this will be my first autocross event ever, and I'm really looking forward to it. To bad the weather may be a problem. It will be awesome to really see what my MINI can do.

Welcome!

Should be fun tomorrow. Make sure and ask questions. The more you ask, the more you learn. There will be plenty of people willing to give ride-alongs or pointers.
yup!, I'll be the guy teaching people why you don't run racing slicks in the rain :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

eage8 wrote:
mla163 wrote:

Welcome!

yup!, I'll be the guy teaching people why you don't run racing slicks in the rain :)
I'll be right there with you. My dry tires are slicks with two small grooves. My rain tires are currently slicks with four small grooves. I need a couple more track events to cord the wet tires so I can get a new set at full depth. I predict a rain performance similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbVg6JQemM
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

david.valeri wrote:I'll be right there with you. My dry tires are slicks with two small grooves. My rain tires are currently slicks with four small grooves. I need a couple more track events to cord the wet tires so I can get a new set at full depth. I predict a rain performance similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbVg6JQemM
hehe, I'm glad I won't be the only one. It's either slicks or all-seasons for me... If it's really wet I might swtich/keep the all seasons on, but I think it would have to be pretty wet (aka, driving through puddles) for 205 width all-seasons to be better than 255 width A6s...
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
BIG MINI

Post by BIG MINI »

Well it's a good thing I have all-seasons then. They're actually the only tires I have at the moment. I'm new...

Good news is at least my helmet came today...
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

if you want a ride along, look for the purple fit with green wheels. :D it's my wife's car, but i'm "borrowing" it for the day to run some "errands". hehe.
BIG MINI

Post by BIG MINI »

NAautoxer wrote:if you want a ride along, look for the purple fit with green wheels. :D it's my wife's car, but i'm "borrowing" it for the day to run some "errands". hehe.
I'll have to do that. Thanks.

I like your errands...
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

Unless it is an utter deluge of rain when I get up at 5:30 with no dry air on the radar.....I'll be there. I'll get to see how the star specs do in the wet.
BIG MINI

Post by BIG MINI »

I had a great time today, even in the rain. Luckily, it started clearing up toward the afternoon. you'll definitely be seeing me out at future events. Thanks to everyone who helped me by offering advice, riding with me, and letting me ride with them.

I'll be back in the fall after my son is born.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Despite the white knuckled drive to the event and my potentially disastrous decision not to bring the v710s, I had a great time. I really liked the course even though I usually hate courses that have the dreaded slalom followed by decreasing radius turn feature.

For some reason, things seemed really foggy during my second run, but opening the passenger window and using the AC between runs seemed to clear that up.

Best clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkvrsNB3FX4
Best not so clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfvIZOoIouY
Best in the wet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtfHjln-6o

I just hope my clean run was enough to stay ahead of Frank in the afternoon.

I may put together a comparison of my two fastest to see where the time came off, but I have to go do non-car stuff for a bit today.

The videos were just uploaded so it will take them a couple minutes to show up in YouTube with any appreciable quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

^I know he ran a couple of 43's, and possibly a high 42 if my memory serves me correctly.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

well, didn't do as bad as i thought.. but meh. i didn't really have a good day.. coned way too many runs. i hit the same cone twice on the same run.. hit it once going down the slalom, was shagged and reset, and i hit it on the way back. hahahaa.

will be nice to be back in the civic next week.

thanks for running the event in terrible weather guys!
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

Wow Mike--Those are some fast results! Thanks!!

don't worry Dave-- The Fairy is waiting--even pining to be back in the Red Miata(22). That was a truly fun day even with the rain.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Had a great time and got some good run times in the afternoon. A big huzzah for the slalomfest! Thanks James for trial of the tires. I've added some photos to the club pool and a link to them and some vids are below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gohmchin/s ... 341934943/

http://www.youtube.com/user/gohmmie#gri ... AB09E7EC97

John
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

david.valeri wrote:Despite the white knuckled drive to the event and my potentially disastrous decision not to bring the v710s,
potentially? results are up so check the potential my fairy carrying cheating friend! :D
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

phranquelynn wrote:
david.valeri wrote:Despite the white knuckled drive to the event and my potentially disastrous decision not to bring the v710s,
potentially? results are up so check the potential my fairy carrying cheating friend! :D
Ah well. On the bright side, that cone didn't hurt me any overall. Let the battle continue next weekend.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I blew a steel brake line in the pick up truck on the way back from the autox, while towing the trailer. Fortunately, I was able to pull off it to a church off Miniville Rd, and Franklin D, Dan K, Mike G, and Joe S, helped me try to get the truck on the road enough to limp it back to the storage warehouse. Mehr P, turned around on 495 and came back to Woodbridge to tow the trailer back for me.

Thanks for everyone for helping me get back home! I realize it made you get home about 2 hours later than if you had not stopped.

Ed
03threefiftyz

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I had that happen on my Z a while back......scary feeling to say the least.

Thanks for getting the results up so quickly, Mike.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

Almost forgot to say Thanks so much to all the organizers for putting together another great event. The 11 runs made driving through the rain to get there not so bad.

Sorry Dave, you'll have to battle someone else to pass on the fairy next week. As long as it's not raining I'm doing a PDX at Shenandoah next week.