Back to Winchester 7-17-10

Parking lots and traffic cones.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Re: Back to Winchester 7-17-10

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

I didn't like the option box thing until I figured out that the low side was WAY faster through the middle one...then it flowed much nicer for me. I had a little trouble with the visuals on the last option box going toward the finish....but that's probably just me. Nice job keeping the water flowing. Man, it was HOT!

Apologies to the course-workers in heat's 1 & 2...I think I hit every cone out there...twice. I don't know how many I got in the afternoon, but in the morning I was able to beat Larry with my 11 cone total to his 9. :D

It was nice to see Fred in the FFR again...I forgot he had one.
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

I loved the course and had a great day.

Video from my new bumper level tow hook mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkqyrGHY1s

Video of my fastest run, over 0.5 seconds faster than my best clean run. It was going great until I came into the last Mike Moran super special gate too fast and couldn't get it back together before the finish gate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGZRH26OAE
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

david.valeri wrote:I loved the course and had a great day.

Video from my new bumper level tow hook mount: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpkqyrGHY1s

Video of my fastest run, over 0.5 seconds faster than my best clean run. It was going great until I came into the last Mike Moran super special gate too fast and couldn't get it back together before the finish gate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGZRH26OAE

Wow the sound in that video is reallllllllly nice, im jealous. I have been trying out different positions for my camera as I just got it this month.

Overall though this was an amazing course!! Although I got 3 Off courses in the morning out of my 4 runs in the morning (only got one off course in the afternoon). It was a damn good challenge and good to be on an autocross course that just flowed soooooo welll. I still have yet to figure out pressures in my tires but im getting there I think. Ive gotten the right balance I think to keep the rear end stable, but making sure there is grip up front has been troublesome. I neeeeeeeeed to get a ride in Wade's Cobra, seeing him roll through that course made me green wtih envy :mrgreen:

-Don
LaurenceC
Car: 2007, Subaru, STI
CDC Member#: 228

Post by LaurenceC »

I really enjoyed the course too. Max speed was 55mph! Here is my only clean run:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRMQawBhzo
--Laurence #28 (a.k.a Bear) @20sqfab
2019 Shadow Gray, Chevrolet, Corvette
1993 Gray, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Autocross)
1993 White, Toyota, SW20 MR2 (Time Trial)
1965 Silver, Factory Five Roadster
Bigbacon
Car: 2006 RX8 GT/87 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 611

Post by Bigbacon »

very awesome course! Sucks I ended up having to leave in between the heats (work called :( )
can't wait for the next event here.

now if it wasn't so damn hot.....
JuanDecaf
Car: '90 E30, '08 STi
CDC Member#: 630

Post by JuanDecaf »

+1
Great venue (lots o shade, big lot, grippy pavement)

And great course. I really liked the option boxes. The slalom was really nice too the changeup in the middle really made you think about it.

-John
karunski
Car: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT

Post by karunski »

This was my first autocross event, and I must say it was a really positive experience. It was great fun, and I hope I can come back to another event soon.

I do think something is amiss in the results spreadsheet. I don't remember breaking below 60 seconds on any of my runs.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

karunski wrote:This was my first autocross event, and I must say it was a really positive experience. It was great fun, and I hope I can come back to another event soon.

I do think something is amiss in the results spreadsheet. I don't remember breaking below 60 seconds on any of my runs.
Welcome, but I was just about to ask if that was an error. I had seen you in the 60-61 area most of the day.
Wade Chamberlain

D_Eclipse9916 wrote: I neeeeeeeeed to get a ride in Wade's Cobra, seeing him roll through that course made me green wtih envy :mrgreen:

-Don
Any time...just ask! (unless one of my kids is riding shotgun...they don't like to share)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
bugman1964

Post by bugman1964 »

Dave you need more of the bumper cam footage. The sound is great and it really shows the speed. Any footage of your fastest run? I think it was your second run.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
matt.baird
Car: 09 Hyundai Accent SE
CDC Member#: 276

Post by matt.baird »

I dropped 5 tenths on my final run but clipped a cone with my rear tire. ****!

Really fun doing a faster course, even though it may not have been ideal for my car.
Matt
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

bugman1964 wrote:Dave you need more of the bumper cam footage. The sound is great and it really shows the speed. Any footage of your fastest run? I think it was your second run.
I put up my fourth run and later realized that my second run was my fastest clean run. I think my second and fourth run were within hundredths or thousandths of each other so the video won't be any different. I'll look through the raw video again and see if there is any worthwhile difference in the footage.

Since it seemed likely to rain, I moved the camera inside for the afternoon.
earl998
Car: 92 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 998

Post by earl998 »

I had a great time at Winchester. Really liked the lot and the course. Won't be able to make the next one but will make Aug.21. Thanks to the club for providing the cold drinks.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

Also, big thanks to Larry, Jacob, Franklin, and Mike for letting me drive your cars. They were all a lot of fun.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
DriftSS
CDC Member#: 126

Post by DriftSS »

I loved this lot and layout. Only rans morning, but had a blast. Course flowed well, even though it may have been challenging to newbies because of the doubling and tripling up of cone usage. However, this gave the layout more speed. I particularly liked the broken up slaloms on the back straight. They were fun and challenging with the different offsets and spacing. Nice job Mike. Most fun CDC course to date. :mrgreen:
Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06 :)
saint_foo

Post by saint_foo »

Wade Chamberlain wrote:
D_Eclipse9916 wrote: I neeeeeeeeed to get a ride in Wade's Cobra, seeing him roll through that course made me green wtih envy :mrgreen:

-Don
Any time...just ask! (unless one of my kids is riding shotgun...they don't like to share)
Hey, how old was the cutey you brought? Legal age? ;)

I'd like to thank Lare Bear for the advice. Lately I've been just showing up, working, not paying attention to anything. Not even studying the course. He really helped out w/ a lot of good criticism/advice. I need to start to get back into the driving portion of autocrossing. I know Dave Valeri (red Miata - organizer) has signed up and paid to run...not work as an organizer. I think that sometimes people like me need to do that and focus on the event as a participant. I try to give neutral feedback to the organizers: the good, bad, etc.

Laurence - thanks! And yes, if you want, I'll drive your Cobra any time. Oh, the same goes for my car as well. :D
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

[quote="DriftSS Course flowed well, even though it may have been challenging to newbies because of the doubling and tripling up of cone usage. [/quote]

:lol: I think its plenty difficult for experienced people as well, which IS a good thing. Im glad we didnt have many newbies cause for me, if I was a newbie, it would of been overwhelming without an instructor. I have been autocrossing steadily for 7 years and still got 4 off course runs in the entire day (3 of being just stupid and going wrong way, 1 was taking out 3 cones).

I know everybody hates elongating the driver's meeting, but maybe having the person doing the safety meeting call for the "instructors" or willing "experienced" people raise their hand for 15 seconds so that new or even moderately experienced people know the faces of those they can go to for help. Even professional race drivers seek instructors, so I know I would benefit from a second pair of eyes telling me what im doing wrong.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

Really enjoyed the course. Didn't find it hard to follow because i took my time walking and had two ride-alongs. I like the longer courses.

A big thanks to everyone who helped with setup, cooking, and water supply!!
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
DriftSS
CDC Member#: 126

Post by DriftSS »

I think you are right D_Eclipse. In prior years, there was more emphasis on pointing out club members who could help with instruction. I'm not as regular as i once was, but am more than willing to help out with instruction and ride alongs when I'm there. Look for the loud Black Camaro. There are many other seasoned autoxers who could step up and volunteer to assist with newbies.

Think it might be good to have a driver's school too on one of the test & tune days (with guided instruction on walking the course, visualization, looking ahead, and driving techniques). You learn alot more when you ride along with others and then see how they handle the course and to compare with how you attack the course. However, every autox can be a driver's school. People should take the opportunity and ride along with others as much as possible, even with peers instead of experienced drivers. You should also walk the course with others and discuss how various tricky sections should be driven. You can even learn alot from newbie drivers by seeing where they make mistakes and where they make good corners. By teaming up, people can critique each other and see where there is agreement and disagreement as to whether a run was good (or not) and where improvements can be made.

Stephen Catlin
99 Camaro SS

P.S. I also thought the course difficult in that there was not 1 defined courseline, but the course was open enough to force chosing from several lines to take, requiring split second decisions as to go tight or wide, inside or outside. The varied slaloms were also nice because you could not get into a rhythm and had to look ahead several gates.
Stephen Catlin
#126 2008 Black Corvette Z06 :)
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Here are videos of some of my runs including my fastest run. Again I forgot to record in 1080p. Wish freaking go-pro would come out with their wireless controller and wireless micrphone soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeRmymg_lAE
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

^^ great video. Do you use a mic inside the cabin? Because there was little/no wind noise. The roof mount provides a great point of view.
Wade Chamberlain

saint_foo wrote: Hey, how old was the cutey you brought? Legal age? ;)
LOL...I'll pass along your compliment. Kids are out of town w/ their grandparents, so Beth was able to come along for the day. Come Friday, she'll have been legal age for 22 years. The fact that she's been with me for those 22 years and married to me for over 17 years still amazes me every day. ;)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Actually its an internal mic to the gopro. I just used the "open" cover instead of the waterproof cover for this event. Cleaned up the sound a bit. I heard the gopro HD (what I have), was a huge sound quality increase over the others if anyone is looking at getting one. However I wish there was still an external mic option (they say they are coming out with one), so that when I rooftop/hood/bumper mount I can still have the mic on the back of the bumper catching the sound without wind.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

The official results have been posted to the CDC website Results page.
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

i stopped by to watch a few runs in the am.. looked awesome. i was so jealous. i wanted to take my wifes' Fit out again, but it was loaded with cinder blocks and car parts. so i just left all sad andheaded home to do housework. i will try and make it out again, but i know it may be a while..

and as long as i have the course down, anyone can ride with me. it will be just a little slow..