Ten Tips For New Auto-xers (Thanks to Ben L)

Parking lots and traffic cones.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Ten Tips For New Auto-xers (Thanks to Ben L)

Post by BugBomb »

The Scribe from Capital Area Cobra Club has some excellent words of wisdom for newcomers.

Read the original thread here.

Ben Lambiotte wrote:As the 2010 season draws to a close, I realize I have been cone dodging for five years now. I am not in the top tier of drivers, due to an unfortunate learning disability involving the neural pathways linking the right brain to the right foot, and an overall talent deficit. But I don’t want your pity. I am making slow and steady progress. As a fresh new crop of budding sproutling CACC autocrossers take the field, I thought I’d collect and pass on a few observations and tips I have gathered in my autocross adventure. Consider the source. These are not rules for how to beat Wade, Larry and Fred. They are tips for how to make progress and have fun doing it.

1. Showing up is Half the Battle – If you don’t come, strap in, and get out there, you won’t get seat time and you won’t get better. Period. Don’t stay home.

2. Don’t be Mr. Know it All. -- In every club, there are always instructors, and tons of grizzled veterans willing to offer advice. Take advantage of the opportunities. No matter how experienced a car guy you are, being a proficient autocrosser is a highly specialized art form. Pay attention to what people are trying to tell you. You will get a lot of perspectives (some good, some bad, and some just totally off the wall). You will have to figure out for yourself what works for you, but the key is to absorb, not repel, learned knowledge.

3. Play by the Rules – Autocross, like golf or any sport worth doing, has a certain etiquette. Working the course is part of the deal. Do it like you mean it. Crisp and efficient cone-shagging and calling makes the event go smoother and gets you back in the cockpit quicker. Don’t shirk work, and when you are out there, be alert and quick. Nothing will endear you to your fellow drivers faster. Corollary – don’t whine (publicly at least) about a bad call or a nitpicky tech guy. Petulance and yelling is a downer for everyone. Whatever it is, be a sport, shake it off and fix it.

4. Bring the Right Tools for the Job -- Face it. If you want to get good times, you are going to have to invest in tires, even in “street tire” classes. You don’t have to join the constant, ever escalating arms race that goes on at the top of the field, but you can’t expect to mow anybody down by bringing a knife to a gunfight, either. But be wary – most of the time, its not the equipment that is holding you back. It’s the meaty bits behind the wheel. Do not be the guy who blames his sway bars, shock settings, alignment, powertrain, everything but himself. Most of the time, its you, bub.

5. Find the Path -- Focus first on learning the course. The course walk is not the freakin’ social hour. Pay very close attention when walking. Do not try to remember every cone, gate and turn. Dice the course into a few sections, and look for key index cones marking transitions that you think you can pick up quickly at speed. Use your first run for recon purposes to “burn in” to your muscle memory and your thick skull a clean on course run. Drive that first one like a legally blind grandma if you have to. You can go for speed and more perfect lines on the next runs. Nothing causes frustration and despair faster than finishing a heat with no time at all.

6. Keep on Pushin’ Baby – When I first started, I thought I should sacrifice time for clean runs. So I’d try not to hit cones at all costs, and the price was slower times. Bad tradeoff. You will find yourself digging a rut, and its very hard to reinvent your whole driving style. From the beginning, push the car and yourself to go faster, brake harder, get on the gas earlier and stay in it longer. Watch how hard the really fast guys like Larry and Wade push and how close they come to the cones. That minimizes the distance covered, and the time it takes to cover it. Cones will die. C’est la guerre.

7. Look Ahead – Yes, it really works. There. I just saved you thousands of dollars in autocross and performance driving schools tuition. I have done lots, and the central teaching of all of them is that the car is going to go exactly where you look. Do not pick your way through the course gate by gate. As you enter one segment, already be looking ahead to the next one, it could be several gates ahead. Even at autocross speeds, the next gate or two is history even before you get there.

8. Be Silky Smooth -- Hanging the ass end way out and drifting looks cool, but all that friction is doing nothing for your times. Smooth is fast. Strive for nice smooth transitions. Fred Kelley is a master of this. His runs have an uncanny slowed down quality to them, until you hear the time. Bastard. Jim Harris, too.

9. I Like to Watch -- Speaking of the fast guys, watch closely the runs of the super fast guys who drive like you wish you could. Appraise their runs with a technician’s eye, not just a spectator. If they are dumb enough to let you ride along, do it. Notice when they turn in, accelerate and brake. Pay attention to where their heads and eyes are looking as they go around. Notice their car position as they approach and cross the key elements of the course. Do not compliment them. Their heads are too big already.

10. Don’t Give up the Ship – Above all, do not get frustrated and quit because you are not on the top shelf from git. Also, some autcross clubs are cliquey, sort of like high school. You may think people are laughing at you. You could be right. So what? F**k them. Unlike you, they have no other life, and are only big when they are making others small. This shit is not easy, especially in a high horsepower , short wheelbase, light Frankenstein English roadster mated to a massive V8. Plus, remember that they are just jealous because you have a cool car and they don’t. Your best revenge will be to improve. Plus, you will almost always have your CACC brothers to hang with, and several of our drivers command everyone’s respect. So never mind the bollocks, and keep at it. The way you must look at this is that the satisfaction is in the journey. With more seat time, more of the mysteries will be revealed, and you will improve.
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
mp923

Re: Ten Tips For New Auto-xers (Thanks to Ben L)

Post by mp923 »

Marvelous writing, a joy to read.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

BugBomb wrote:6. Keep on Pushin’ Baby – When I first started, I thought I should sacrifice time for clean runs. So I’d try not to hit cones at all costs, and the price was slower times. Bad tradeoff. You will find yourself digging a rut, and its very hard to reinvent your whole driving style. From the beginning, push the car and yourself to go faster, brake harder, get on the gas earlier and stay in it longer. Watch how hard the really fast guys like Larry and Wade push and how close they come to the cones. That minimizes the distance covered, and the time it takes to cover it. Cones will die. C’est la guerre.
I don't feel so bad about all the cones I've murdered now :)

That's a pretty good list Ben, I don't think I have anything to add.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

Thanks. And remember, those who can't, write about it.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Ben, that's an awesome write up, good job!

John
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Post by defylogik »

Points #6 and #8 are in conflict. :)
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
Ben L
Car: FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
CDC Member#: 20

Post by Ben L »

Not really conflicting. Push, and strive for smooth transitions.
Ben Lambiotte
FFR 65 Daytona Coupe
363 ci Ford Racing Boss Stroker
CDC No. 20
marklombard
Car: FFR - "Leroy"
CDC Member#: 813

Post by marklombard »

Thanks Ben for the tips. I was re-reading them again yesterday and also really liked the reference to Frankenstein. It surely describes my car well. Maybe a new nickname for The Patriot (our current nickname for our creation).
God is good-all the time!
Buda

Post by Buda »

Thanks for sharing such a helpful tips with us. I must say one thing, you are excellent writer and i like the way of your writing. I got impressed from it. :D
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Thanks for posting this, I went to my first event ever this last Saturday (March 17th at Grove Stadium) and I had read this post before I went. I employed this advice as much as i could and had a great first time! Everyone was very friendly and quick to supply any additional advice they had. That being said this write up seems very complete, especially to a novice like myself. Hope to see you all again next month, I'll bring the wife out too, she's got a '99 Miata, she would fit right in!
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

the 10 tips don't explicitly discourage hot pocket consumption while autocrossing, but i suppose it goes without saying that if you're going to eat a hot pocket out there, at least have it be room temperature! :D
BabyLFA

Post by BabyLFA »

Nathan Atkins wrote:the 10 tips don't explicitly discourage hot pocket consumption while autocrossing, but i suppose it goes without saying that if you're going to eat a hot pocket out there, at least have it be room temperature! :D
But then it would no longer be a hot pocket... it would just be a pocket. And that's weird!