Policy on Multiple Timesheets

Parking lots and traffic cones.
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Policy on Multiple Timesheets

Post by echan »

At CDC we allow participants to register more than one slot (as space allows).

1. If a participants registers for two sessions in two different cars, both times in both cars count along with the points from the best index time. So if a participant registers a fast car and a small bore car, they could get small bore points from the small bore car and index points from the faster of the two index times for the index points.

2. If a participants registers two sessions with the same car, only the first 6 (or the number of runs that day) will count for points. The other runs are considered fun runs.
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Re: Policy on Multiple Timesheets

Post by ButtDyno »

If I were angling to win the overall, I'd try to get 6 morning runs in a small bore car and then run 6 runs in the afternoon in my "top index" fast car. Or 3 small / 3 fast / 3 small / 3 fast - either way you get a lot more looks at the course than someone who only registered once.

So doesn't this policy favor the few folks who can somehow get a ride in both?

I dunno if you are still doing prizes (free registration, etc) for overall winners or whatever - but it seems like if there are free events on the line (since those are functionally cash) that the folks who don't have the money/time/carS plural to run twice should not be unfairly disadvantaged. People should have to pick which series they want to run for points and their first six runs should count to that series.

Just a random opinion from someone with no dog in the fight...
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

Post by BugBomb »

IMO, I would be surprised if someone with the means would actually go thru with it just to win a couple free passes. You have to buy extra sessions to do that, which offsets the free passes you might win.

And I am the expert here because I used to "game" CDC's points system all the time. :) When I did it, the reward was an entire season and the effort required was minimal (and free).
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

BugBomb wrote:IMO, I would be surprised if someone with the means would actually go thru with it just to win a couple free passes. You have to buy extra sessions to do that, which offsets the free passes you might win.

And I am the expert here because I used to "game" CDC's points system all the time. :) When I did it, the reward was an entire season and the effort required was minimal (and free).
I think right now CDC is like GTS3 in NASA. Good group, fairly relaxed. But it could turn just like Spec E30 that is supposed to be even cars, people go spend 12k for a built "stock" engine, and get two or three a season so they have the best possible chance to win......a 10 dollar plastic trophy. Hopefully that wont happen here, but I think he expresses a legitimate concern that somebody would game the system with an unfair advantage by driving both cars. I dont think its happened yet, and hopefully we can just keep on going with the rules we have now and change them up if somebody does come and "purposely game the points with two cars".

For me, CDC is fun, has a good group of people, and has just enough of a competitive edge to make it fun. No offense to CDC, but if you were out there to "prove" yourself as an amazing driver or something, SCCA Tour, Pro Solo, or Nationals is where you should go. But thank god we arent them, cause this is way more fun (I hate SCCA driver's "attitude", why I rarely compete with them unless its Blue Ridge Region, and why I do NASA for open track stuff).
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:For me, CDC is fun, has a good group of people, and has just enough of a competitive edge to make it fun.
That's what we're aiming for. We have some really good drivers that come out and show the lesser ones how to be better. Whatever rules we establish, they shouldn't interfere with allowing driver instruction. To be completely fair, we shouldn't allow a driver to ride along until they've finished their runs. This isn't going to happen because it would severely limit the ability to instruct (and dampen the fun). So far we've been about having fun and learning how to drive better, not cater to the ultra-competitive. As pointed out, there are other places better suited for that.

As for multiple timesheets, Not counting anything after the first 6 runs in any car seems most fair. This doesn't interfere with anyone's instructing, tuning, etc. It does keep them from gaming the system to their advantage. The order in which they run should be open to the driver, so that they could drive car A in the morning and car B in the afternoon, or let someone take some of their morning runs.

At least that's my opinion.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

I think if someone is going to go through that much effort (working twice, driving twice, bringing 2 cars, possibly change tires on both cars, having both cars teched, etc...) they deserve the slight advantage they get from driving the course a few more times...

And they'd be in different cars, so it's not like they wouldn't have to change their driving style and probably their lines anyway.
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

Post by Dan133 »

I have to agree with Joe on this one--- have as many runs as you buy but only the first 6 count. I personally have a very shallow learning curve(not proud) and typically will be at least a little faster with each successive run. But, Mike, if I traded Miatas with someone else and took 6 additional runs I would be able to perfect(Ha) my line without having to learn a completely new car and change driving styles to acommodate it.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran