Joe MacInnes Classic Auto Restorations Open House

Car shows, tech days, BBQs.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Joe MacInnes Classic Auto Restorations Open House

Post by kyle.bowker »

CDC organizer Joe MacInnes is hosting an open house to celebrate the opening of his new classic car restoration business. Joe has been doing classic car restorations for many years. I can't name all the cars he's worked on but I've seen him fix up a '72 BMW 2002 and a '68 Pontiac Firebird and he does really good work. He doesn't really do standard collision repair but I believe he is open to special projects if club members are interested. I'm planning on leaving my BMW 633CSi with him as soon as he finds space in his schedule.

When: Saturday December 1 from 11:00am to 3:00pm
Where: 4987 Winchester Blvd unit 2 Frederick Md. Click here for a map. It's out in the country so it might make a nice drive. It's near Point of Rocks on route 15.

If you have further questions Joe can be reached at 240-586-9568
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

I'm willing to lead a drive if there's interest

Post by kyle.bowker »

Ed Chan and I plan to carpool to Joe's open house. If anyone is interested I can lead the way taking "back" roads to get there. Click here to see my proposed route. It starts at the Starbucks at 10116 River Road in Potomac, MD and ends at Joe's shop taking River Road through Martinsburg, Dickerson, Tuscarora and Point of Rocks, MD. The plan is to depart Starbucks at 10:30am to arrive at Joe's around 11:30am. We'll probably stay at Joe's for about 1 hour before we return home. Unfortunately, I cannot continue to lead the drive at that point and every man/woman is for him/herself. However, there are some great roads to explore if you want to head up around Gambrill and Cunningham Falls State Parks. I can't remember which roads are the absolute "best" up there but you can't go wrong exploring any of them. I recall finding one road that was a steep downhill roller coaster for about 1.5 miles I just can't remember the name! Here is a sample route for those wishing for more seat time. It's hard to tell which roads are paved and which roads are not by looking at Google Maps. If anyone wishes to make suggestions for improvement I'm all ears.

PLEASE RSVP if you plan to do this drive by posting your response in this thread. If no one responds we'll probably take the faster, boring road most often traveled (I-270). If you don't RSVP we won't wait around for you!
DrSeuss

Re: Joe MacInnes Classic Auto Restorations Open House

Post by DrSeuss »

Kyle,

The stretch between New Design Road and Point of Rocks was closed about a month back and for at least several months before that. The detour will take you north on New Design Road and west again a couple miles north. I'm guessing its Oland or Adamstown Rod.

Also the stretch on River Road over to 107 was not the greatest road. It's been a while sinceI've been down that way. I normally turn right onto West Willard up to Poolesville.

Otherwise that route is great. I take my motorcyle and bicycles that way all the time.

Andy
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

DrSeuss wrote:The stretch between New Design Road and Point of Rocks was closed about a month back and for at least several months before that.
Thanks. My friend John also told me about the detour this afternoon as he discovered last month when planning a canoe trip. If it's a major roadwork project I'm sure it's still going on. I've now modified the route to account for this. I'm slightly disappointed as I've never been to Point of Rocks before and it probably won't happen this trip as I don't have much time for backtracking.
DrSeuss wrote:Also the stretch on River Road over to 107 was not the greatest road.
That's my favorite part of the route! It gets all narrow and bumpy and twisty with barely enough room for two cars to pass at the same time. Last time I drove it was a year or two ago. No doubt it could probably use new pavement. I just hope it hasn't turned into a dirt road!
DrSeuss

Post by DrSeuss »

I've never been on that section in a car. Just my motorcycle and it wasn't alot of fun. I don't like rapid undulations in the road. It makes the bike feel all squirrely. Hmm, maybe I should change the way my suspension is set up ...
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

If River is closed, why not turn right where it T's at Seneca Road. THen left onto 28 or earlier left onto Berryville to meet 28 West (left).

28 is a pretty nice drive. It's not real twisty but it's out in the country. It will take you right through point of Rocks where it meets 15. Turn right on 15 to Frederick (left takes you towards Leesbug)

Watch that along the way you on 28 you have to make a LEFT near Tuscarora, or you end up on another road ( Buckeytown pike 85)

On the way up you can stop at the Monacay River Aqueduct historic sight right off of 28. You may even be able to check out some of the roads near Sugarloaf MOuntain if you need to lenghten the ride. Beware, some of these (Mr Ephraim?) are gravel in sections.

you can check this out on the way back, even. Then drive up Sugar loaf mountain (Free), get out of the car at one of the overlooks and take in the view. On the exit make a left and take Comus Rd across to 355 (Frederick Road) . Make right on 355 South and this gives you easy acces to I-270 S to get you back home quickly.

Kyle is right that there are great roads everywhere, but I'm sure it's getting more and more suburban all the time. haven't driven around in several years.

Some other nice roads I recall, if you go beyond the meeting place: Rte 17, north of Middletown is nice, Rte 77 through the park is great (take it slow) and 550 is pretty awesome ( the section that briefly takes you to PA and back). NOw that's a roller coaster !

I was just up in Point of Rocks last Friday. Helped a friend and his wife move out there near 15 & 464. It's a great area. You can get a freaken mini mansion for the price of a townhouse :shock:

I might come out to the open house if the weather is OK.

Gonz.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Ed's dropped out but we've gained David and Stephanie so we're still planning to do the drive. We leave Starbucks around 10:30am.
jmac

Post by jmac »

Thanks Kyle, David and Stephanie for coming to the shop on Saturday. The open house went great. I hope you had a good time, there were some very interesting people there. The shop should be up and running by Tuesday. We can do a gathering or two anytime. The roads are great in both Maryland and Virgina so maybe we can start a rally there or use it for a lunch break. I will be charging by the hour so I can do newer cars, maybe install an air dam or something but I,m not doing any collision. Now that things have slowed down we can start on a rally
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I had a nice time. Dave and Stephanie and I drove up taking the back roads. It was a beautiful late autumn day to go for a drive. The roads were pleasant and the scenery was enjoyable. Lots of pretty farm country and traditional old farm houses. CDC member Fred Kelley joined us there, having made the short trek over to Joe's shop in his Factory Five Fauxbra.

Joe's shop is very nice - it's brand new inside and has room for about 5 cars. The lobby is decorated with framed race car prints and there were several photo albums that chronicle the fine work Joe has done during his career. On display inside the workshop area was a smart looking Lotus Europa that appeared to be in better than new condition. Joe's grandson showed off his soap box derby cars. There also was an old pickup truck and a Sprite in the process of being restored. It's nice to get together in the off-season for socializing and non-autocross related activities. Thank you Joe for inviting us to your open house and I wish you the best of luck with your new business!

Welcome!

Executive Parking

W114 Coupe

Lobby

Chocolate dounts were much appreciated!

Talking shop

Soap Box Derby Streamliner

Soapbox Derby Driver Controls

Click here to view the rest of the pictures.