Rally May 24

Road rallies, poker runs, group drives.
jmac

Rally May 24

Post by jmac »

Cathie and I are doing a rally in Washington County on May 24th. I think it will be a joint effort between the Clusterd Spires British Car Club and CDC. We are still working on a flyer, start times (10:00?), etc.. But we will keep everyone posted.
mf44

Re: Rally May 24

Post by mf44 »

Just saw it added to the calendar. Sounds like fun. I've never done a rally before and I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for the heads up!
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I've also been interested in exploring this, if I can convince the mrs. to navigate or find someone else.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I just opened up the reservations for this event.

Below is information that Joe provided:

The Capital Driving Club and the British Car Club of Frederick, Md will hold The Bridges of Washington County Road Rally, Sunday, May 24, 2009

This event should be fund for both the experienced, novice rally participants, and for those just interested in taking a fun drive in the country.

The rally is a straight forward fun run with no traps. There will be two classes, experienced and novice. The experienced class is for those drivers and navigators who have a combined total of 10 rallies or more. Novice class is for those drivers and navigators who have less than 10 rallies combined.

Trophies will be presented in each class for first and second place. Rally Headquarters: Registration, Start and Finish will be held at:

Red Byrd Restaurant
19409 Shepherdstown Pike
Keedysville, MD 21756

Registration opens at 9:00 am. First car off will be at 10:30 am.

Directions can be found at http://www.mapquest.com or via e-mail to cathiemac@comcast.com or (301) 663-5723.

The cost for this event is $30

Rallymaster/Registrar: Joe MacInnes
5644 Singletree Dr
Frederick, MD 21703
e-mail: joemacinnes@yahoo.com
phone: (301) 663-5723

We recommend that you make your reservation using the on-line reservation system on the CDC website (http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com) under the “Schedule” Section.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

I am interested in either driving or navigating. My preference is to drive but if I can't find a navigator then I'd be willing to be one for someone else. By the way, I'm a total rookie. But I can read directions in a moving car without getting sick and I have good critical thinking skills.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

I am interested, but have NO idea what this will be like. I have read a few articles on road rally, but I still don't fully understand it.

In autocross, the challenge is finding the fastest way from the start to the finish. What is the challenge in road rally?
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

The challenge is getting there at all. If you can get that far, then the next challenge is getting there when you're supposed to be there.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

yeah, one of these days I need to partner up with someone else with 0 RR experience and give it a try. Either that or hire a prefessional orator to convince the mrs. to get involved!
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
jmac

Post by jmac »

There many types of rallys. This one should be simple. The directions are straight forward. You will have to match some pictures and answer a few questions. Most rallys do the speed limit or less, sometimes you have to catch up if you get lost. This is not a timed event so there should be no speeding. (darn)
Electronchick
Car: 2006 Acura RSX Type S
CDC Member#: 453

Post by Electronchick »

Well it sounds like fun...my folks do poker runs on the harleys...is this rally like that?

About what time would you expect the rally to finish up for the day?

I am interested in doing this, but I am also a TOTAL rookie! I am; however, an excellent navigator!

Right now I am on the fence for signing up-do we need partners already when we sign up for the event? I don't know if Chris will be joining me for the event if I do go...
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Joe, what is the ratio of "roads I would want to take the Integra on" to "roads I would not want to take the Integra on" in this event? Stephanie and I took the "scenic" route out to Paeonian Springs this weekend and I don't think I ever want to go that slow and be that uncomfortable again.

Kyle, I think I can make this one. You can be my Niki Grist if Stephanie won't come (she has to work the next day).
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

david.valeri wrote:Kyle, I think I can make this one. You can be my Niki Grist if Stephanie won't come (she has to work the next day).
Thanks but it looks like Mike (mf44) and I will be doing this in the Miata provided I resolve my leaking rear diff seal issue that I discovered yesterday. My diff is now making a whining noise due to the low fluid levels and I need to decide how best to proceed. If worst comes to worst maybe Mike will drive in his Mini and I will co-drive for him.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Here is a link to the rally starting point on Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 78906&z=11
dmitts
CDC Member#: 43

Post by dmitts »

Joe and Kathy are meeting with Angie and I tomorrow evening for a run through. Angie and I haven't seen it yet, and we're pretty excited to check it out. Joe and Kathy are good at finding the interesting roads, so I'm sure it's gonna be a blast.

I would highly recommend that people bring their cameras for this event, 'cause I expect there to be some beautiful scenery along the way. If you don't have a camera, buy one or borrow one :) .
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

One of these days I'll join these rallys. Never experienced it but like to see what its about.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I am really excited about the rally! I pulled an all-nighter Friday night to get my LSD installed (yes I am officially the world's slowest mechanic) and all I need to do is clean the car, install a passenger seat, check the motor oil and tire pressures, change the transmission fluid and fill up the gas tank!
dmitts
CDC Member#: 43

Post by dmitts »

david.valeri wrote:Joe, what is the ratio of "roads I would want to take the Integra on" to "roads I would not want to take the Integra on" in this event? Stephanie and I took the "scenic" route out to Paeonian Springs this weekend and I don't think I ever want to go that slow and be that uncomfortable again.

Kyle, I think I can make this one. You can be my Niki Grist if Stephanie won't come (she has to work the next day).

Your car will be fine on these roads Dave. There are some bumpy sections, but you won't have to worry about scraping. Angie and I drove the route in the MINI and I didn't notice any scraping on the little guard under the front bumper(it's pretty low to the ground).
jmac

Post by jmac »

We have some extra directions so if anyone wants to register on sunday that would be ok. All you need is a clipboard, some pencils or pens and a caculator to do some simple math. This should be a good rally for beginners so come on out. This one is not timed so you don't have to go fast. Just enjoy the ride.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Pics from the rally are now uploaded to Flickr. See them at http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/media or click here to view them as a slideshow.

I'll have a complete summary of the event up later today. Thanks again to Joe and Cathie and Denny and Angie and everyone else for helping and for coming out to participate or just say hi. It was a fantastic event and everyone had a lot of fun. Congratulations to all the winners!
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Nice job guys. That looks like it was a fun event.
I'll have to take my Miata out to one of those in the future.

Gonzalo.