Autumn Scenic Drive

Road rallies, poker runs, group drives.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Autumn Scenic Drive

Post by kyle.bowker »

Anybody interested in going for a scenic drive? A few years ago Toby and I went for a nice drive in MD through Montgomery and Frederick counties. I don't remember the exact route but we took River Road to Dickerson and around Sugarloaf Mt. up to Gambrills State Park and Cunningham Falls and the Catoctin Mountains near Camp David. The entire drive took 4+ hours but it can be amended. If we printed a route sheet with a lunch stop someplace nice you could drive at your own pace which would reduce stress and the temptation to push limits in order to keep up with the group. Or maybe we could use the November 10th auto-x as a launch point for a shorter 1.5 hour drive you could easily accomplish between heats?

MicaCeli
Car: 1987 Toyota MR2
CDC Member#: 231

Re: Autumn Scenic Drive

Post by MicaCeli »

This sounds like a very good Idea. I think that Mei and I would deff be in. (Esp if you do it in Frederick)
WRX11

Post by WRX11 »

Kyle,

Are the leaves in the back ground photoshopped? If not, they really match the car colors well.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

No photoshop, just luck. That's why we took the picture there. Joe Mac Innes mentioned possibly doing a test rally this Saturday, November 17 leaving Frederick around 9am and getting done around lunch time. We're planning to do either gimmick or TSD rallies next year (depending on volunteer effort) so this drive will give us a chance to test the route for fun and mileage accuracy. Hopefully Joe makes a formal announcement soon.
PGT
Car: bone stock '06 Cooper S
CDC Member#: 345

Post by PGT »

I'd be interested.

I run a rally every August starting in Leesburg, heading west on Rt7 then south down Mt Weather, across 211 to Luray and north to Ft Royal for burgers. Lots of fun roads and great food. Ed/saint_foo went last year....we didn't get to do it this year due to my wife being 8mos pregnant at the time. I can post the route notes if there's any interest (now or later, doesn't matter...I'm just keen to get out and drive :D )
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I guess Joe never got around to organizing this. I can't do it tomorrow as I'll be a busy beaver rebuilding the front suspension on my 6er.
jmac

Post by jmac »

Sorry I haven't gotten back to any one about a tour. Last weekend would have been a nice one. I'm in the process of opening my shop so I have been very busy. I am having an open house on Dec 1 from 11:00 to 3:00. It's out in the country so it might make a nice drive. The address is 4987 Winchester Blvd unit 2 Frederick Md. It's near Point of Rocks on route 15. Once things settle down I 'll have some more time and we can get started on a rally. It would be nice to do one in January or Febuary.
purplepeopleeater

Post by purplepeopleeater »

There is a book I don't recall the name, something like "50 great rides in suburban DC". A friend has a copy I'll see if I can get my hands on it.
Rallies can be a lot of fun. A few years back Jim Merrilees with the SCCA was putting on a rally almost every month during the season. Jim passed on, & nobody @ SCCA picked up the torch. Len Picton who did a lot of rallys with MGOB has retired & they seem to be down to one or two a year. National Road Rally LLC out in Cumberland used to do one or two a year but they've stopped due to lack of participation. TRAC does a Poker run, usually in Augest but it tends to start about 45 minutes north of Baltimore. Then too, it's a POKER RUN no chance for your inner engineer to come out.Rallying used to be very popular but it's very labor intensive & requires a lot of people to man checkpoints etc. The only active rally group in the area that I'm aware of is in southern New Jersey. If anyone wants the info I'll post it come spring when they start e-mailing me again.