Sugarloaf Mountain Rally Sun. May 30th

Road rallies, poker runs, group drives.
jmac

Sugarloaf Mountain Rally Sun. May 30th

Post by jmac »

Things are underway for the third annual rally presented by the Capital Driving Club and the Clustered Spires British Car Club. It will be on Sunday, May 30th and start at the park and ride in Urbana, Md. It will end at Sugarloaf Mountian Vineyard in Comus, Md. Both locations are not far from route 270 in Frederick county.

Date: May 30, 2010
Time: Registration opens at 9:00 am. Participant meeting at 10:00 am. First car off will be at 10:30 am.
Rally Headquarters: Registration and Start will be held at Urbana Park & Ride, Exit 26 off Route 270, Urbana, Maryland
Cost: $30.00 / car
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Rally

Post by kyle.bowker »

Sounds awesome. CDC rallies are always a blast. Sorry I won't be able to make this one as I will be out of town that weekend in WV to attend a graduation ceremony (hopefully I will find some fun twisties near Greenbrier). Good luck and enjoy.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Re: Sugarloaf Mountain Rally Sun. May 30th

Post by kyle.bowker »

I updated Joe's post to include the official event flyer in PDF format. Be sure to click the link to download the flyer and sign up soon!
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Very nice area for a drive.
Is this all paved roads ?
evolicious
Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution
CDC Member#: 452

Post by evolicious »

whats the deal with these rally's? Are they a "serious balls out race"? Or is it more of a cruise type of thing? Are the roads closed off? How long do they take? Etc.
High on PSI
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

evolicious wrote:whats the deal with these rally's? Are they a "serious balls out race"? Or is it more of a cruise type of thing? Are the roads closed off? How long do they take? Etc.
It's not a race, it's a rally. This is not a TSD event and it is not a cruise. We ask all participants to obey all traffic laws including speed limits but ultimately it's up to you what speed you choose to drive. CDC and the event organizers will not be held responsible for your illicit behavior. You will be challenged mentally. The roads will be fun to drive. It takes place on open public roads, not a closed course. In the past CDC rallies have taken about 3-4 hours including driver's meeting and lunch.
jmac

Post by jmac »

Ther are no dirt roads. There is less than a mile of a "half" paved road but it's not bad. This rally is about 3 hours long. You will have some simple questions to answer and there will 4 times, to be used as a tie breaker. You will be given the average speed, which usualy is the speed limit, and you try to get there at the exact time as the rallymaster. This is a speed event where you can go fast and slow. Some roads have a 30 mph speed but there are some 15 mph turns you have to go around. So to maintain the average speed you have to haul ass arond the turn. Try driving on a straight, smooth road at 25 mph. Rallys are good fun and it takes 2 to run.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

Joe, any events coming up soon? James & I are interested in trying some of these events as rally noobs.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
jmac

Post by jmac »

Yes. I think there is a big one on the last weekend of October. I'll keep you posted