TrackDaze Shenandoah 6-7 Oct

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

TrackDaze Shenandoah 6-7 Oct

Post by hufflepuff »

I signed up in intermediate group with my new autocross/rallycross/track car, 1992 Acura Integra RS. It is black & almost bone stock. It will be fun to compare to my former E36 M3 (sold)! I hope to see some CDC'ers out there. i will be camping, likely along the back straightaway.

-Matt
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
ferris

Re: TrackDaze Shenandoah 6-7 Oct

Post by ferris »

how do you qualify for the intermediate group.

I have never done an HPDE before ...
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

I would say three or more track days with demonstrated safe driving, awareness and understanding of flags and passing etiquitte, and a solid roadcourse driving skill set.

everyone has their own definition. Trackdaze.com probably has some guidelines as well.
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

i saw a green R53 mini cooper S there that i think i've seen at CDC events. "LOL APEX" license plate i think? They looked good out there in blue intermediate.
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

That was me! This month has been pretty crazy so I was behind on checking the forums. Missed a few recent autoXs but should be at the harry grove ones later, at the lemons race in Chicago this weekend so will miss this week, tonight will be the inevitable rush of replacing a caliper that seized while taking the race car for alignment >.< better here then on track though…

Sunday was pretty rough with the low temps and changing weather, I left my track tires at home which I was lamenting during the early sessions but that pour down in the last session made me glad I had the street tires on! Saw quite a few cars sliding around, and I was struggling to get even street tires warm having a couple of slide-ly moments myself.

As for what group, each program has their own guidelines but in the beginner and most intermediate groups they provide instructors who will help make sure you are in the right group and the ones who will sign you off to go solo. If you are passing practically everyone in your group and have good car control they will move you.

I did autoX before track events and found some fun facts. Track driving rewards smoothness signifcantly more autoX. If I drove on the track like I do at autoX I would likely end up in a wall, but when I drove at the autoX how I did on track I was well off the pace and needed to ramp up the agression to get good times. The car control you learn in autoX definitely helps start you ahead of the curve track-wise as correcting for under/over steer is more challeging to learn when going 100 haha.
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

How was the Integra? Handle the rain well?
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

ACoopeR wrote:How was the Integra? Handle the rain well?
I never got passed in the rain but got passed quite a bit in the dry. I actually lapped a porsche race car that usually passed me in the dry. I am running almost new kumho xs and they felt very good during the slick sessions. The integra was pretty fun and quick for stock. best lap was 1'52.464"