Post by ericw »

Anybody driving at hyperfest?
silver 681
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Re: Hyperfest

Post by ACoopeR »

i haven't registered yet, but that is the plan... i think the real question is how big will the end plates on jared's car be by then! :lol:
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

I'm registered. :D
silver 681
Apexcarver

Post by Apexcarver »

Jenn and I will be there, but we are going to be on station flagging Lemons all day. If your camping there look for us in flaggertown by the tower on main at night.
(╯°□°)╯︵|> ____________________ Joseph O.
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

They will be sprint car sized!!!

I am doing lemons during hyperfest, so i am thinking that i should skip on tracking the miata.
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

I am registered too now, i was going to do 3 this time but it was full so i am in 2 again, they weren't kidding about it filling up fast!
jrgoldbach

Post by jrgoldbach »

i entered 2 of them... i will just have to work out the scheduling
ericw

Post by ericw »

Apexcarver wrote:Jenn and I will be there, but we are going to be on station flagging Lemons all day. If your camping there look for us in flaggertown by the tower on main at night.
Cool. I'm not sure who you are though... :oops: Looks like there will be a decent CDC group there!
silver 681
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

I have ordered nt01s (in 225/45/15 of course) for the mini and a aim solo :D a bit early on the tires but discount tires had a $50 rebate so they are only 600 shipped, might have to mount them up even if the rs-3 aren't all the way gone yet....
jrgoldbach

Post by jrgoldbach »

silly boy! you need -CAMBER not tires
ericw

Post by ericw »

ACoopeR wrote:aim solo
sick
silver 681
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

jrgoldbach wrote:silly boy! you need -CAMBER not tires
haha yeah, i was using the logic, tires are a wear item and my stock suspension only has 50k on it, also 600<<3000 i did realize my front sway has a stiffer setting so will give that a shot at the next track day / autoX i end up at
next up is the better intercooler, then suspension etc as i want to do a bit more research before picking my setup and get everything at once (already did the intercooler research)
ericw wrote:
ACoopeR wrote:aim solo
sick
yeah i am pretty excited after borrowing one my last 2 session at the nasa event, being able to look through the data and get the lap deltas live really helped when tweaking the rain line, pretty sure it will work in the dry too :P
jrgoldbach

Post by jrgoldbach »

how long is that rebate on the Nittos going to last?
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

i think it is if you order by may 13th

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... o?pgid=773
Silver_Surfer
Car: 2006 Exige
CDC Member#: 682

Post by Silver_Surfer »

I'll be there, but I plan on running the enduro karting event. I'll be crashing at a hotel and then drive to the Winchester event the next day.
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

The new suspension is in and the tires are on!

~1" lower
60N/mm ~340lb/in front rate
50N/mm ~285lb/in rear rate
corner weighted at ~2824lbs with 5/8 tank + 180lb driver ballast
and most importantly half a degree more camber! now it is -2.8 in the front :mrgreen:

this will be my first time driving a car with fancy suspension, should be fun!
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

btw does anyone know what nitto recommends for psi for the nt-01? i figure that would be a good starting point but i can't seem to find it.

I found the following for the ra-1 which is close i guess...

Toyo Tires recommends the following general set-up guidelines for the Proxes RA1:

Operating Temperature: 160°F to 220°F
Hot Inflation Pressures: High 30s to Low 40s (psi)
Camber: -2.5° to -5.0°
Caster: As much positive as possible
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

ACoopeR wrote:~1" lower
60N/mm ~340lb/in front rate
50N/mm ~285lb/in rear rate
corner weighted at ~2824lbs with 5/8 tank + 180lb driver ballast
and most importantly half a degree more camber! now it is -2.8 in the front :mrgreen:

this will be my first time driving a car with fancy suspension, should be fun!
Yay new suspension! Why the stiffer front spring? We're running 350 square on Caitlin's JCW. Do you have adjustable camber arms in the rear?
--Nick D
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

v10climber wrote:Yay new suspension! Why the stiffer front spring? We're running 350 square on Caitlin's JCW. Do you have adjustable camber arms in the rear?
A couple of things. One being those are what came with the kit... I know not the best reason, but I figured would be a good starting point and I can always get different ones later. I assume the ohlins guys aren't completely useless (it is a road/track kit so is compromised somewhat). I know most folks end up with square rates from what I hear on full track cars and stiffer rear than front springs on autoX cars, I still street drive the car so didn't really want to jump straight to 110N/mm square lol. I have heard a bit softer on the rear helps the street ride quality without compromising the track handling too much, but I haven't had a chance to push the car yet, only driven it slowly in the storms so far.

I use the mini mostly for track events now where I want a bit slower rotation than with AutoX, with the oem spring and shocks I had before I would get a bit of understeer coming out of corners on power and some wheelspin on the insides front (no LSD) but no real steady state understeer (on the track anyway), it would quickly rotate if i feathered the throttle. I do have camber plates and bigger sway bars already though (27mm f 19mm r), I got them because the stock body roll was destroying tires at an alarming rates.

At AutoX with the stock stuff i would definite agree that i would be fighting a lot of understeer but i guess the high speeds and larger radii turns on the track affect the car differently. I know it won't autoX as well but I was basically looking to keep the same balance, increase camber, and decrease body roll compared to my old setup. I will be coming to a couple of autoX later in the year but I expect to get thrashed as I will be saving my 225 tires for track and be on my 205 street tires and a setup I know will understeer at low speed.

I only have the stock rear camber adjustment range so it is over -2 in the rear too which is probably more than I want, but I will be using a tire pyrometer (thanks for reminding me eric!) this weekend to check that as well as pressure.
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

ACoopeR wrote:A couple of things. One being those are what came with the kit... I know not the best reason, but I figured would be a good starting point and I can always get different ones later. I assume the ohlins guys aren't completely useless (it is a road/track kit so is compromised somewhat). I know most folks end up with square rates from what I hear on full track cars and stiffer rear than front springs on autoX cars, I still street drive the car so didn't really want to jump straight to 110N/mm square lol. I have heard a bit softer on the rear helps the street ride quality without compromising the track handling too much, but I haven't had a chance to push the car yet, only driven it slowly in the storms so far.

I use the mini mostly for track events now where I want a bit slower rotation than with AutoX, with the oem spring and shocks I had before I would get a bit of understeer coming out of corners on power and some wheelspin on the insides front (no LSD) but no real steady state understeer (on the track anyway), it would quickly rotate if i feathered the throttle. I do have camber plates and bigger sway bars already though (27mm f 19mm r), I got them because the stock body roll was destroying tires at an alarming rates.

At AutoX with the stock stuff i would definite agree that i would be fighting a lot of understeer but i guess the high speeds and larger radii turns on the track affect the car differently. I know it won't autoX as well but I was basically looking to keep the same balance, increase camber, and decrease body roll compared to my old setup. I will be coming to a couple of autoX later in the year but I expect to get thrashed as I will be saving my 225 tires for track and be on my 205 street tires and a setup I know will understeer at low speed.

I only have the stock rear camber adjustment range so it is over -2 in the rear too which is probably more than I want, but I will be using a tire pyrometer (thanks for reminding me eric!) this weekend to check that as well as pressure.
The Ohlins R&T is definitely a nice setup but oriented more towards street driving than all out track performance. The TC Kline Double Adjustables we got for Caitlin's mini were recommended at 450f/190r with a big rear bar and essentially running on the bumpstops. I didn't really like that option so we went with 450f/350r at the recommendation of the guy that sold us the setup. We ran it like that for about 2 auto-x events and quickly ditched the 450 front springs. It made the ride really rough and the car wouldn't really turn all that well. Once we went to the 350 square setup we're actually able to control the rotation of the car very well depending on the camber/toe we're running in the rear of the car. I think at the moment we're at -2.5f and -1.2 rear. The car is pretty stable at the higher speeds we run at Fed Ex field but you're still only talking like 60mph :lol:

I'd be surprised if that setup doesn't understeer between the big front bar AND the stiff front springs AND the large amounts of negative camber in the rear. Getting rid of that big front bar should help a bunch with inside wheelspin. We don't get much in our mini and that's at auto-x which is worse for inside wheelspin than the track (I think). But I'm not a really a big bar person so maybe my opinion is biased :D Actually I think the next step for us is to go to a smaller front bar to try and get rid of some of the inside wheelspin we are getting and hopefully get a little more grip out of the front end.

The rear suspension on these cars toes out and the camber goes more negative under compression. We backed down the rear camber in our car to get the car to rotate more but with -2 degrees I would bet your car will be very planted mid-corner and might even have trouble rotating. It really sucks because the camber curves go in opposite directions from front to rear so under compression the front loses camber while the rear gains it. Talk about understeer!

If you have any questions just let us know. We've done a LOT of testing of various ride heights/alignments/tire pressures/compression/rebound.
--Nick D
ericw

Post by ericw »

if understeer, then front wang.
silver 681
v10climber

Post by v10climber »

But it needs to be on a mini...

--Nick D
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I'm interested in the enduro but all the slots are full! If anyone is in need of a teammate I'd love to get in on that! I'm SPK Elite, a fine addition to any team!
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

v10climber wrote:But it needs to be on a mini...

Wait what? lolz
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
ericw

Post by ericw »

v10climber wrote:But it needs to be on a mini...

yeahhhh buddy!!!
silver 681