Hyperfest

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Re: Hyperfest

Post by ericw »

Nathan Atkins wrote:I'm interested in the enduro but all the slots are full! If anyone is in need of a teammate I'd love to get in on that! I'm SPK Elite, a fine addition to any team!
If you go to hyperfest you can dl a voucher for free session of karting or something... did you get that e-mail? Scherpf will be there Saturday I'm sure he'd kart with you for free.

http://summitpointkart.com/wp-content/u ... E_2013.pdf

And if you go, look us up in the paddock.
silver 681
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

What kind of weak sauce wing is that?! It's not even on stilts!

Exhibit 1:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Post by Nathan Atkins »

I think I'd only make the trek on Saturday if I could do the enduro, since I'm doing Winchester in the morning and I'd have to sleep locally, I hadn't really planned it out yet :P I was just going to look at local hotels like silver surfer was saying! Thanks though Eric, I'd love to do some legit wheel to wheel stuff, maybe someone still wants an extra teammate still so here's hoping! :D
Silver_Surfer
Car: 2006 Exige
CDC Member#: 682

Post by Silver_Surfer »

Nathan Atkins wrote:I think I'd only make the trek on Saturday if I could do the enduro, since I'm doing Winchester in the morning and I'd have to sleep locally, I hadn't really planned it out yet :P I was just going to look at local hotels like silver surfer was saying! Thanks though Eric, I'd love to do some legit wheel to wheel stuff, maybe someone still wants an extra teammate still so here's hoping! :D
I've already got a room, it was $70 if you want to split the cost I have two beds....I'm not a serial killer :twisted:
dscherpf
Car: 98 BMW 318ti
CDC Member#: 723

Post by dscherpf »

ericw wrote:Scherpf will be there Saturday I'm sure he'd kart with you for free.
Yeah, I usually charge a flat hourly rate but Saturday I'll provide free kart competition. :shock:

I signed up for a Hyperdrive, so my day won't just be sitting around adjusting the AOA of Eric's wing.
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

Sorry I didn't get to see you all. I spent the majority of my hyperfest time in the lemons arena. Which was pretty freaking awesome BTW!

Anyways, I was only able to try the last 2 hyperdrives on Saturday due to the time crunch. I saw Erik and Kessic while I was there. How did you guys do? I thought it was pretty cool being able to drive the Jefferson circuit. That one is rarely open for track events.
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtBn9L3JgM

Optimal lap was 1:34.75 in the last session.. Wayyy better than anything I was able to string together :(

Next time I'm at Summit I'm going to test with and without the wing and see what my lap times are... I do feel like I was going faster on the straights in the spring when I didn't have it. Not sure if the extra speed I was carrying from the chute on was because of the wing or just getting more experience.
silver 681
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

ericw wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtBn9L3JgM

Optimal lap was 1:34.75 in the last session.. Wayyy better than anything I was able to string together :(

Next time I'm at Summit I'm going to test with and without the wing and see what my lap times are... I do feel like I was going faster on the straights in the spring when I didn't have it. Not sure if the extra speed I was carrying from the chute on was because of the wing or just getting more experience.
a properly set up naturally aspirated Miata (with the right driver) can be flat out through the chute. I think the wing is slowing you down.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

ericw wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtBn9L3JgM

a properly set up naturally aspirated Miata (with the right driver) can be flat out through the chute. I think the wing is slowing you down.
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

Not as cool as the main circuit that you were playing on Eric... Here is my playtime over on jefferson

Session 2
http://youtu.be/cu7afGofT-g
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

v10climber wrote:The Ohlins R&T is definitely a nice setup but oriented more towards street driving than all out track performance. The TC Kline Double Adjustables we got for Caitlin's mini were recommended at 450f/190r with a big rear bar and essentially running on the bumpstops. I didn't really like that option so we went with 450f/350r at the recommendation of the guy that sold us the setup. We ran it like that for about 2 auto-x events and quickly ditched the 450 front springs. It made the ride really rough and the car wouldn't really turn all that well. Once we went to the 350 square setup we're actually able to control the rotation of the car very well depending on the camber/toe we're running in the rear of the car. I think at the moment we're at -2.5f and -1.2 rear. The car is pretty stable at the higher speeds we run at Fed Ex field but you're still only talking like 60mph :lol:

I'd be surprised if that setup doesn't understeer between the big front bar AND the stiff front springs AND the large amounts of negative camber in the rear. Getting rid of that big front bar should help a bunch with inside wheelspin. We don't get much in our mini and that's at auto-x which is worse for inside wheelspin than the track (I think). But I'm not a really a big bar person so maybe my opinion is biased :D Actually I think the next step for us is to go to a smaller front bar to try and get rid of some of the inside wheelspin we are getting and hopefully get a little more grip out of the front end.

The rear suspension on these cars toes out and the camber goes more negative under compression. We backed down the rear camber in our car to get the car to rotate more but with -2 degrees I would bet your car will be very planted mid-corner and might even have trouble rotating. It really sucks because the camber curves go in opposite directions from front to rear so under compression the front loses camber while the rear gains it. Talk about understeer!

If you have any questions just let us know. We've done a LOT of testing of various ride heights/alignments/tire pressures/compression/rebound.

I was actually looking at that kit too. The reason I went with the Ohlins was the OTS spring rates were closer to what I wanted and I figured I was less likely to need a re-valve if I wanted to go to square rates. The shop I go to is a dealer for both and as I am not 100% sure if the mini will go full track mode yet I went with the more streetable choice. I agree that autoX and track setups will end up being pretty different. One of my buddies goes to nationals etc with his R50 and his alignment is pretty different than mine and springs are way stiffer. I don’t pretend to be the expert but from what I have heard talking to others is a track setup will end up softer and tighter than an autoX one especially if the local tracks have usable curbs.

I do get some steady state understeer but it is still corrected with a bit of throttle feathering. I haven’t played around with the bar or shock settings yet. I am still looking at the tires and their temps tweaking the pressures and alignment given I changed compounds at the same time. It looks like I will end up around ~37F/36R psi hot and I might need a touch more camber. It is just personal preference, but I like to first get the tires working at their best and then work on the other adjustments.

I keep on missing autoXs due to ramping up the track schedule this year, but definitely interested to hear about all the different things you tried when I finally make it out to one.
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(