NASA Summer Breeeeeze

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

NASA Summer Breeeeeze

Post by ericw »

I expect it will be a warm breeze. Maybe in the 100* range. Who's with me? My last instructor said my point-bys were exemplary so, Goldbach, if you want to join me in group 2 I am ready.
silver 681
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Re: NASA Summer Breeeeeze

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Will be there, now for the rush tog et the car ready. :lol:
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

I just signed up for 3

Planning on bringing twice as much water as normal and depending on how much the cooling upgrades to the car end up totaling out to, might cave and buy a canopy and electric impact wrench...
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

I need to get back in to do a couple of track days with you boys... I seem to be missing out on all of the fun.

When are you planning on your next event?
ericw

Post by ericw »

Summer breeze in August and then I think I'm doing SCCA PDX in September. NASA NE is at Watkins Glen in September though, I could do that one instead if anyone wants to go... :)
silver 681
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

Here is my plan:

August 9/10/11 VIR Chump Car
August 17/18 Main Circuit NASA
September 14/15 Main Circuit SCCA
October 5/6 Shenandoah Trackdaze
October 19/20 Frederick CDC
November 2/3 Main Circuit NASA
November 16/17 Frederick CDC

My sister is starting to like driving/cars so i sent her the cdc schedule as i think starting with atuoX before trackdays is a safer route, so those events might be in her jetta inside of the mini. i thought about bring the wagon to the autoX yesterday as the mini is still mid oil cooler install but had to stay way late at work on Friday :(
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

Via an email from SCCA I discovered another event! September 1st (looks like it is advanced only but has club racing and proceeds go to charity which is cool)
ericw

Post by ericw »

Phil bringing some goodies for me next weekend... :D
silver 681
ericw

Post by ericw »

silver 681
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

Nice! i really need to get a camera....

Looking at the data off my low 1:27.XX laps I still have plenty of room to improve all over... lol a mixed blessing i suppose. The big one to work on now is through turn 10, slowing down to high 70s through it right now which seems excessive :-/

Max Gs:
Lateral 1.43
Braking 1.12
Accel: 0.46 <- ouch lol esp as our chump car does: 0.73
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

Just had a potential brain wave about why my speeds through 10 were lower. This event was the first time I was gaining enough out of 9 to need to require a shift to 5th before 10. So instead of just tapping the brakes I had to downshift to 4th as well which meant I was on the breaks for a smidge longer. I can’t think of what else todo other than be better at downshifts… any ideas?

Bizarrely enough my speeds into turn 1 were higher… I was topping out 5th for the first time before braking into 1 :D
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

ACoopeR wrote:Just had a potential brain wave about why my speeds through 10 were lower. This event was the first time I was gaining enough out of 9 to need to require a shift to 5th before 10. So instead of just tapping the brakes I had to downshift to 4th as well which meant I was on the breaks for a smidge longer. I can’t think of what else todo other than be better at downshifts… any ideas?

Bizarrely enough my speeds into turn 1 were higher… I was topping out 5th for the first time before braking into 1 :D
Change gearing, make more power or exit speed higher so you are in 5th longer, bouncing off the limiter in 4th, or just work on heel/toe into turn 10.

I am limited on gearing/power, so I just bounce off 4th a bunch when I want my absolutel fastest lap to the 1/10th. If I am just doing laps or can spare a couple tenths, I work on my heel/toe through 10.
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:Change gearing, make more power or exit speed higher so you are in 5th longer, bouncing off the limiter in 4th, or just work on heel/toe into turn 10.

I am limited on gearing/power, so I just bounce off 4th a bunch when I want my absolutel fastest lap to the 1/10th. If I am just doing laps or can spare a couple tenths, I work on my heel/toe through 10.
Thanks for your thoughts! That is useful to know that you get your fast laps banging off the rev limiter, where between 9 and 10 do you run out of gear? I know you GTS guys crush my lap times lol maybe in a couple years I can strip and cage the mini and have the skills to join in, will want to have at least a year in TTD before making that leap though.

I simplified my experience a bit in that usually I would hit the limiter in 4th after the bridge and just feather the throttle for a second but that day I was hitting it before the bridge and felt due to the length of time on the limiter it would be faster to try 5th but that was just a guess. HPDE3 was pretty crowded on Saturday so didn’t get that many clean laps back to back to compare, and on Sunday the rain meant I was going slower.

To be honest I think the cooler temps must have helped the car’s power quite a bit as despite exiting 10 slower I was hit 5-7mph faster than ever before into 1 which make no sense unless I found some extra horses. That might explain why I was hitting the limiter out of 9 earlier, though as I get to be a better driver even the 90+F days I will start running out of gear.
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

I was back at main this Sunday running between the MARRS events. It was pretty hot and my times were ~.5-1 second slower, but there were very few cars so I got chance to try alternating approaches into 10 and riding the limiter was quantitatively faster. Thanks a lot for the suggestion dude!!!