Racedaze

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Racedaze

Post by ericw »

Anybody have an eligible vehicle and interest for racedaze? Looks like we can do their precomp school at an earlier hpde event in a hpde car.

https://www.trackdaze.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=120

http://www.racedaze.com
silver 681
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Re: Racedaze

Post by jrgoldbach »

I am extremely interested! I do not have a raceprepped car though... :cry:
jrgoldbach
Car: 2000 green miata
CDC Member#: 578

Post by jrgoldbach »

Precomp should not be an issue...

Any ideas on a cheap to buy, cheap to run, stupidly reliable race car?
jadams1217
Car: Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 688

Post by jadams1217 »

Best bet would probably to buy a spec miata or maybe spec e30. Probably going to cost around $10k

That said, I have a 94 miata in decent condition that I wouldn't mind getting caged. I don't have the money for it this year though, dumping it all into the FR-S. It hasn't seen a track day, but it would probably be pretty reliable with a few common sense mods.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

jadams1217 wrote:Best bet would probably to buy a spec miata or maybe spec e30. Probably going to cost around $10k

That said, I have a 94 miata in decent condition that I wouldn't mind getting caged. I don't have the money for it this year though, dumping it all into the FR-S. It hasn't seen a track day, but it would probably be pretty reliable with a few common sense mods.
Wait... I thought you sold the FRS?

Jared you can pick up IT cars for pretty cheap. Lots of ITA miatas and even more ITB VWs. A sorted ITB VW Golf is probably like $6k.
--Nick D
jadams1217

Post by jadams1217 »

v10climber wrote:
jadams1217 wrote:Best bet would probably to buy a spec miata or maybe spec e30. Probably going to cost around $10k

Wait... I thought you sold the FRS?

Jared you can pick up IT cars for pretty cheap. Lots of ITA miatas and even more ITB VWs. A sorted ITB VW Golf is probably like $6k.
No, I definitely still have my FR-S. Just had a lightweight clutch/flywheel, CF driveshaft, engine and diff mounts installed yesterday and have a 5lbs battery ready to install once it gets warmer out. Getting it ready for some time trialing later this year. You might have been thinking about Chad. I know he mentioned that he was considering selling his BRZ last year.

While it's definitely easier to buy a ready-to-go racecar, my offer still stands for using my miata. I certainly don't mind sharing. I did a little research last night, a bolt in cage (that would pass tech) is around $1k, I figure a proper seat and harness would be around another $1k. That would cover the bare minimum, assuming we can borrow someone's hard top. And since its a miata, I'm sure someone here has some spare wheels we could borrow as well (assuming we would need to change tires at least once for a 9 hour race). Its hard to say what else it would need since it hasn't been to a track before, maybe an oil cooler. Most of you guys would know better than me, since this is my first Miata. I'll probably be bringing it to the CDC awards lunch, so if anyone wants to check it out, go ahead. I figure someone used to driving a Miata would be able to give it a quick shakedown to see if my car would be worth considering.
ericw

Post by ericw »

jadams1217 wrote:While it's definitely easier to buy a ready-to-go racecar, my offer still stands for using my miata. I certainly don't mind sharing. I did a little research last night, a bolt in cage (that would pass tech) is around $1k, I figure a proper seat and harness would be around another $1k. That would cover the bare minimum, assuming we can borrow someone's hard top. And since its a miata, I'm sure someone here has some spare wheels we could borrow as well (assuming we would need to change tires at least once for a 9 hour race). Its hard to say what else it would need since it hasn't been to a track before, maybe an oil cooler. Most of you guys would know better than me, since this is my first Miata. I'll probably be bringing it to the CDC awards lunch, so if anyone wants to check it out, go ahead. I figure someone used to driving a Miata would be able to give it a quick shakedown to see if my car would be worth considering.
You might want to check around on a weld-in cage. York or Chris Windsor would be more than the bolt-in but should be a lot cheaper than Piper. What bolt-in cage are you looking at?

You'd also need a window net, fire extinguisher, numbers...

TB/WP
Shocks
Ball Joints/Boots
Rod Ends
Hoses
Plugs/wires
Fluids
Clutch + related
front hubs wouldn't be a bad idea
Alignment

Shouldn't need an oil cooler.

Plus your suit and underwear and neck device. It would cost you a lot of money.

I was planning on caging mine like next winter so I'm not eager to put money into another car.

Should totally use the star specs on daisy wheels I have. 9 hours would be like 3 or 4 track weekends they should easily last the whole thing.
silver 681
ericw

Post by ericw »

I would cage mine and volunteer but I don't have tow rig for track days and autocross.
silver 681
jadams1217

Post by jadams1217 »

ericw wrote:I would cage mine and volunteer but I don't have tow rig for track days and autocross.
Just because its caged doesn't mean you cant drive it on the road. You just may want to wear a helmet and HANS device while you do so. Plus I'm pretty sure your car is old enough to register as historic (if it isn't already) meaning no inspections.
ericw

Post by ericw »

jadams1217 wrote: Just because its caged doesn't mean you cant drive it on the road. You just may want to wear a helmet and HANS device while you do so...
can't tell if serious.
silver 681
jadams1217

Post by jadams1217 »

Semi-serious. If your only trying to get it to events, that wouldn't be all that bad. I certainly wouldn't want to do it to a daily driver though.
crashmaxx
Car: 2010 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 172

Post by crashmaxx »

I have a spec miata that I'm getting prepped for SCCA club racing this spring. I might be willing to do this if a couple people are willing to join my team. You would have to provide your own safety gear (helmet, suit, HANS, etc) and maybe chip in to pay for a set of tires. It would be sweet if someone has an extra set of wheels we could put some R6 tires on.
- Andrew Stowell
ericw

Post by ericw »

Word? At your house? I can come see it?
silver 681
Pheonix335

Post by Pheonix335 »

crashmaxx wrote:I have a spec miata that I'm getting prepped for SCCA club racing this spring. I might be willing to do this if a couple people are willing to join my team. You would have to provide your own safety gear (helmet, suit, HANS, etc) and maybe chip in to pay for a set of tires. It would be sweet if someone has an extra set of wheels we could put some R6 tires on.

I'd be interested in joining your team, Larry and I just finished up my Miata (almost SM) for track days and time trials so I have a set of wheels we could use (assuming the same bolt pattern as a 1990). We are doing the PDX at Summit this weekend, can't wait.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

Old SCCA improved touring cars go for cheap, as do spec rx7s.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
crashmaxx
Car: 2010 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 172

Post by crashmaxx »

Pheonix335 wrote: I'd be interested in joining your team, Larry and I just finished up my Miata (almost SM) for track days and time trials so I have a set of wheels we could use (assuming the same bolt pattern as a 1990). We are doing the PDX at Summit this weekend, can't wait.
Hey, I saw you at that PDX, right? Yeah, the wheels would fit, not sure what we are doing for tires yet. If you have your safety gear and can get a racedaze license, you can join. Sounds like Eric is in, so if we just get one or two more people we will be good to go.
- Andrew Stowell
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

FYI,

We have a perfect car for Racedaze. An FC RX7 with a fresh motor in it. Fully prepped in safety and ready to go. Comes with 3 sets of wheels/tires, tons of spare pads/rotors/plugs/ancillaries. Extremely reliable, custom lines for oil cooler and a MASSIVE radiator means we do not have any overheating issues. (turbo brakes/tokico shocks etc.)

$6k and local. Meet our asking price and we can deliver it within 120 miles.
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4798_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6656_n.jpg
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

FYI,

We have a perfect car for Racedaze. An FC RX7 with a fresh motor in it. Fully prepped in safety and ready to go. Comes with 3 sets of wheels/tires, tons of spare pads/rotors/plugs/ancillaries. Extremely reliable, custom lines for oil cooler and a MASSIVE radiator means we do not have any overheating issues. (turbo brakes/tokico shocks etc.)

$6k and local. Meet our asking price and we can deliver it within 120 miles.
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 4798_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6656_n.jpg