Nasa Mid-Atlantic Events?

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
DIABOLIC8
Car: 96 Civic
CDC Member#: 475

Nasa Mid-Atlantic Events?

Post by DIABOLIC8 »

Has anyone done any of these events? I'm thinking of making it out to do some hpde events but haven't been able to get in contact with anyone on the pricing? Just wondering if anyone has experienced these events and what your feedback was on it? Was it worth it to you? Thanks
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Re: Nasa Mid-Atlantic Events?

Post by flohtingPoint »

Ill be doing both hpde and their nasa autox's this season. I did one earlier this year and it was very good.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Pricing varies a little by location (which track)

Here's the VIR pricing
https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1061

Summit Point events are cheaper. NJMP is about the same. If you are new, and don't want to commit to the expense of a full weekend you can do a "Hyperdrive" for $40 or $50. It's basicaly a one session of HPDE1 ( about 25 minutes) with an instructor and a class room session.

Their events are very professionally run. You may get 5 or 10 minutes fewer track time per day than some other organizing groups, but you get good classroom instruction and you get to watch some real racing during your down time.
DIABOLIC8

Post by DIABOLIC8 »

Well in that case then I might try a hyperdrive first and then maybe decide to join and do hpde. Thanks Gonz for the link. Hey flothing point are the auto-x events there goo as well? Thanks.
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

Another good group to run with is Trackdaze
http://www.trackdaze.com

Lots of track time. More relazed atmosphere than NASA because it's just HPDE and there is not a race weekend happening at the same time.
DIABOLIC8

Post by DIABOLIC8 »

Oh nice, I never heard of trackdaze before. I think I will check them out aswell, thanks.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

Another group to try is come run with EMRA at Summit Point. You can run with an instructor and if you get signed off you can run the time trials.

http://www.emraracing.org/

A couple of the guys have come out and run with us. Fred Kelley has been to 2 or 3 events. Great group. Very laid back. Inexpensive as far as track time goes compared to others.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
DIABOLIC8

Post by DIABOLIC8 »

Oh I never heard of emra either, looks like I might have to do a couple of events this year. I'm tired of always missing out on track days.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

I have run with 3 different groups over the years.

Redline Time Attack - Man the 1st couple of years with these guys was a little nuts. Very loose on rules, drivers were crazy, ect.

NASA - Have run 2 Hyperfests. Everyone says what a pain it is and a nightmare, blah, blah, blah. Other than them forcing you to run through the HPDE soup no matter what anyone says, or does. Gets super expensive real quick to be able to run Time Trials.

EMRA - I ran 2 events with htem as a rookie with an instructor and proved that I was capable of not crashing or killing myself and could follow a line and was signed off to run in their novice group. Next season got a check ride and was moved to intermediate. This year I still run intermediate due to speed of the cars in expert and walked away with a Time Trial class championship.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Gonz wrote:Another good group to run with is Trackdaze
http://www.trackdaze.com

Lots of track time. More relazed atmosphere than NASA because it's just HPDE and there is not a race weekend happening at the same time.
I sent them an email about their no R-comps in novice class rule since I run on RA-1s. I haven't heard back from them. Do you have any experience with what they define as an R-comp tire?
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

Try to talk to the guy in charge ( Jeremy Jens? John Felton?) and tell them about your autoX experience etc.
If you know anyone who instructs with TrackDaze or NASA, and they can vouch for your driving skill/experience, mention that to them as well.

RA1 would be considered an R-comp, but rules are made to be bent ;)
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

I will be attending the hyperdrive at summit point on april 17th. hope to see some of you there.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

I was at the SPR hyperdrive saturday april 17th. Were any of you all there?
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

That's cool. Which course did it run on ?
How'd you like it.

G
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

NASA is excellent and one of the most organized groups to run with. They are actually relatively inexpensive compared to everyone else, but that is because of a small reduction in run time. You still get 3 sessions a day (over an hour of track time a day, which is a lot if youve never done this stuff before).

TRackdaze has MUCH more track time for an HPDE person and is focused specifically on that. Moar track time, but none of the side stuff that NASA Mid-A has (karting enduros at night, saturday night party, real racing during the day, etc etc.) I LOVE both groups and they are awesome.

NASA MA Autoxing is on a large lot with VMP and has tons of runs, about 6-8 official runs. They also have circuitcrosses held on VIR's Patriot circuit which is a mix between road racing and autoxing and counts for double points for their championship.

I do every single NASA Mid-A event there is. I drove NASA Road racing weekends till I blew up my gsx, now I work NASA Mid-Atlantic Road Racing weekends (announcer and pace car driver), and drive the NASA-MA autocrosses and circuitcrosses. Ill be back to NASA Road Racing once I prep the M3 right.

For the person that said "hassle of going through stick HPDE groups". That is because NASA firmly beleives in educating drivers. Everyone thinks their god's gift to driving when the start. This just makes sure you dont advance too quickly and get caught up in a bad situation. It is my firm beleif NASA HPDE 3/4 drivers would run circles around *I cant stop chuckling* Redline time attack yoooo...

NASA is also extremely fun and tons of great friendly people. If your ever there say hi to me, the guy in the white E36 m3.