FATT - May 14

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

FATT - May 14

Post by david.valeri »

I'm going. Anyone else going to be there?
ferris

Re: FATT - May 14

Post by ferris »

What is it ... would my car pass tech inspection?

And I am picking up a helmet tomorrow, so no one can make fun of me for having to borrow one again
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

If you like FATT, then you'll love some of the other events there. SCCA PDX, Nasa HPDE, EMRA, and some timed club events are really fun.
Fred
ferris

Post by ferris »

3-pt belts are acceptable, but then it states that 4,5,6 pt belts may be used provided the same is available for the passenger .... that means I don't pass tech.

I also don't have roll bar padding or an FIA passengers seat so I don't know that the "safety for the driver is equivalent for the passenger" rule applies to me either

Looks like I will have to miss this eitherway
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

im going to april 14th hyperdrive but i might also consider the may 14th fatt.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
KanosWRX

Post by KanosWRX »

I think I may be coming out to this. Want to get a FATT in before the hot summer :)
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

ferris wrote:3-pt belts are acceptable, but then it states that 4,5,6 pt belts may be used provided the same is available for the passenger .... that means I don't pass tech.

I also don't have roll bar padding or an FIA passengers seat so I don't know that the "safety for the driver is equivalent for the passenger" rule applies to me either

Looks like I will have to miss this eitherway
It's pretty self-explanatory. Driver and passenger must have same level of equipment. If you have stock seat and 3-point belts then that is okay for the instructor sitting next to you (although is barely adequate IMO). If you have a race bucket seat and 5-point harness then your passenger side must also have a race bucket seat and 5-point harness.
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

I'll most likely be there.
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

I'll be there in a Red SRT-4. Anyone else? I plan on going to as many summit events as i can. Way fun!
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Bring your rain gear :x
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

david.valeri wrote:Bring your rain gear :x
gosh i know, the weather is really aggravating me... :cry:
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

The weather cooperated wonderfully except for the 110% humidity. I had concerns about my hands slipping on the wheel from sweat even when air drying my hands down the main straight.

The skid pad was a great teaching tool and I had a blast. There were lots of open spaces in the afternoon so I just kept going back. Their skid pad cars have the steering feedback of a jello loaf, but it was fun to drift a land yacht around the pad.

My first session was pretty horrible and I think my instructor was dreading the remainder of the day with me. By the second session I got my act together and felt comfortable with the car. I got promoted out of group 1 at the end of the day. I still need work on my line, but I have apparently been deemed safe and aware of my surroundings.

My best times were about 10 seconds off the leaders in Spec Miata. I'm going to blame some of that on the extra 400 pounds in my car. Based on video of faster drivers, I am thinking it is my line and/or entry speed (especially in turns 1, 5-6, and 10) and gear selection in turns 1, 5, and 10.

I firmly beleive the second instructor who rode with me during the final session was insane. He was good at getting me to push the car harder where I could, but he was also very excitable and I could see where he could get somebody in over their head if they got caught up in the moment. Observe last lap where instructor is ecstatic that I managed to hold off the GT-R behind me since the driver must have been babying it around the turns. If my car cost that much I probably wouldn't be bombing around the track either.

Anyway, video attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zASXrC5RBGw
ferris

Post by ferris »

damn ... that looks like a ton of fun

I guess I need to upgrade my passengers safety equipment so I can do these in the future

What wheels/tires did you run ... I am assuming a day like that would eat your hoosiers in one day
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

ferris wrote:damn ... that looks like a ton of fun

I guess I need to upgrade my passengers safety equipment so I can do these in the future

What wheels/tires did you run ... I am assuming a day like that would eat your hoosiers in one day
I ran my RA-1s on Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels. The day probably took off 1-2/32s of tire. I think I went from around 4/32 to a solid 3/32. I don't think an a6 or v710 would survive the day with much life left. It seems they are OK for 20 minute stints but can easily overheat in that time.
ferris

Post by ferris »

my take away is to make the next one I need...

better passengers seat
6-pt harness
FIA padding on my roll bar
another set of wheels
another set of tires

this cheap miata isn't looking so cheap ... and I didn't win the powerball last night

I think I am going to have to wait until at least next year to be able to do something like this ... auto-x is much cheaper for me right now
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

ferris wrote:my take away is to make the next one I need...

better passengers seat
6-pt harness
FIA padding on my roll bar
another set of wheels
another set of tires

this cheap miata isn't looking so cheap ... and I didn't win the powerball last night

I think I am going to have to wait until at least next year to be able to do something like this ... auto-x is much cheaper for me right now
To get started you need to put your OE seat back in, put some padding on the roll bar, bleed the brakes, upgrade to a better brake pad such as an Axxis Ultimate, AX6/XP8/XP10, or HP+, rotors, and run your Azenis.

To be safer, you need a drivers seat without a busted mounting point, similar passenger seat, and a set of harnesses.

Total initial cost: $25 + $45 + $12 + $200 (if you get the good pads) + $60 = $342
Entry fee: $250
Optional supplemental insurance for one weekend: ~$100

So you are at $5-700 to get out there. Then there are the ongoing costs such as fluids, broken parts, and your next set of tires.

To be fair, I got more seat time in one track day than I do in an entire auto-x season. About 80 minutes at the track vs 80-90 minutes in 20 auto-x events. A season of auto-x costs around $5-600 in entry fees plus consumables.

On street tires you won't use up all of your rubber or pads during an auto-x season nor will you do the same at one track day.

In the end, the cost is close. The risk at the track is far higher and the wear on your car is likely greater.

It just depends on how you want to spend your seat time. All at once or spread over 20 Saturdays.

I happen to like a little of both, but the track is calling.
ferris

Post by ferris »

I sold my OE seat for $25 ... I probably can find another OE seat for the same price to throw in the car

I have Axxis Ultimates on the car (I seriously love these pads ... I used them exclusively on my passat and they are probably the only pad I will ever spend more than $10 on)

The rotors are in good shape ... I have some brand new slotted rotors in the closet that I decided not to put on since the ones on the car were in such good shape and the slot won't do a damn thing unless its raining out

Honestly (besides an OE seat) I think I would need to get new rubber on my daisy wheels ... the azenis have seen better days. Denises car handles much better than mine and she is on a stock suspension (I have 550/375 on koni sports with GC sleves an auto-x only alignment and a RB hollow front bar with brace kit) I just have zero traction with these tires ... I guess my suspension might be too much for these tires, but I really think its just that they are old and past there usefullness on the track/auto-x.

But I think with the roll bar and those speeds, I really would want a real seat and a real harness (even at auto-x I was moving around a lot because the belt won't retract at all with the rollbar) and I would want the same for anyone riding in my car on the track at those speeds. I have never been on a track like that before and I don't want to find out what the wall feels like in an OE seat and the stock shitty belt that is 14 years old and isn't as strong as it was new and the design of the "load limiter" is just terrifying to me.

and my busted side mount won't affect anything unless I am hit from the rear ... and I am supose to have a rear seat brace to the roll bar anyway ... and I'm "fixing" that before the next auto-x

If the 6-pt harness cannot support myself and a 12 lb seat then it won't support someone who is 175 lbs either.