FATT - June 5

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

FATT - June 5

Post by david.valeri »

Since CDC isn't running anything in June and FATT is group 2 only on the better tracks in June, I'll be running FATT on Saturday June 5 at the Jefferson Circuit in an attempt to get out of group 2i before the end of the summer.

After watching video of the Jefferson Circuit, it looks to be a little rough and lacking some safety features. It looks like the speeds don't get too high though.

Anybody been to this course before?
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Re: FATT - June 5

Post by DaveL20 »

To me it is like a big autocross. Very tight and not alot of speed if I remember correctly.

No one really has anything going on in June. EMRA is off in June, CDC is off. I think SCCA in DC is even light.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

SCCA in June light? What about the Pro Solo ;)

Hyperfest for NASA mid-Atlantic is also huge and Trackdaze is having an event at NJMP on the 12/13th.

Dont waste your time on Jefferson, its not nearly as much fun as shenandoah or summit.
eage8
Car: 89 RX7 TII 89 Corolla SR5
CDC Member#: 887

Post by eage8 »

DaveL20 wrote:To me it is like a big autocross. Very tight and not alot of speed if I remember correctly.

No one really has anything going on in June. EMRA is off in June, CDC is off. I think SCCA in DC is even light.
The local SCCA RallyCross National event is June 12-13 too :)
-Mike #887

'89 RX-7 TurboII - 270 rwhp - Megasquirt3
'89 Corolla SR5 - 4A-GE 20 Valve - Megasquirt2
'01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

I was thinking Hyperfest was in July.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
armitage
Car: '92 Galant VR4 / '93 RX7
CDC Member#: 0

Post by armitage »

Jefferson is pretty small and relatively slow. FWIW, iRacing has Summit Main and Jefferson circuits and you get them for free when joining, so you can check it out/learn the track ahead of time. They always have new sign-up promotions as well. This weekend it's 3 months + indy500 car/track for $32. http://www.iracing.com/indy-500-2010/
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

DaveL20 wrote:I was thinking Hyperfest was in July.

Hyperfest is June 19th. It is an event NOT TO MISS. I look forward to it every year, and even friends that are not into cars call me up being like when is hyperfest this year :lol:
armitage
Car: '92 Galant VR4 / '93 RX7
CDC Member#: 0

Post by armitage »

Hyperfest is gonna be bonkers this year. In addition to the NASA event + drifting + BSR stuff, they've got the arrive-and-drive karting, they're running a Rally Sprint (about a 2 mile long course I hear) and, oh yea, 24 Hours of LeMons on the Shenandoah. There's not even going to be enough space at the track for the competitors, much less all the spectator's cars. That being said, see you there! Stop by and root for our LeMons team, Booby Prize Racing (Nissan 200sx) :D
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Not a bad course. We ran clockwise, which I gather is the less commonly run direction. I had another good instructor who was a good teacher and helped work on the things I wanted to cover, noticing all worker stations and threashold / trail braking.

First session out was mildly moist and the second session out was wet. The third was drying to dry and the fourth session was completely dry. I mistakenly filmed an hour or more of the car sitting in the paddock so I completely missed getting my best driving on film. I'll be back though so not a huge deal.

Apparently people feel the skidpad is not a worthy use of their time so I ended up with a full 25 minutes on the pad alone with an instructor. That is time well spent. Especially considering that I wasn't 1/4 of the way into my first wet lap when I got to put it to good use. Wet track, slick tires, and a seam in the pavement coming out of turn 7 definitely got my attention.

I will say that watching other people on the skid pad makes you realize that if all of these car enthusiasts are that unprepared for skid recovery, your average commuter is a truly dangerous animal.

We did some braking exercises during the drying session to help me fully realize just how much grip there is with a well-worn set of RA-1s that are up to temp. During the fourth session, I started the session relatively hard and got a feel for the performance of the brakes and tires as they came up to temperature.

All-in-all a good day. I can't wait to get back. I'd go do 4 sessions at Hyperfest if I wasn't already busy and in fear of my life with being on track with the crowd that Hyperfest brings out. I'm planning to head back in July for the Shenandoah event.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

eage8 wrote:
DaveL20 wrote:To me it is like a big autocross. Very tight and not alot of speed if I remember correctly.

The local SCCA RallyCross National event is June 12-13 too :)
Club racing event at the end of the month too.