TrackDaze weekend 2-3 Oct @ Summit point Shenandoah

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Re: TrackDaze weekend 2-3 Oct @ Summit point Shenandoah

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

hufflepuff wrote:
D_Eclipse9916 wrote:Could always get an e36 m3 ;) $40 rotors, bulletproof engine and great powerband. It has its typical faults, but all are 100% fixable/if you fix it before it doesnt happen. After a year and 2 months of owning this car, 18 autocrosses, 6 track days of 2 hours each day, daily driving, and pace car duty, a power steering hose went (typical, 20 bucks in new hose) and I just broke a rear diff bolt (another typical problem, putting in E46 diff bolt, $2.81 at the dealer) Both have permanent fixes and are a common thing on these cars. Mind you, the car has 152,000 miles.

That said, the s2000 is faster and better classed in SCCA.
How much do the e36 run though?
For a good condition M3 with 80K-145K, expect to spend 7.5K to 11K (11k on the way high end)
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
hufflepuff wrote:
D_Eclipse9916 wrote:Could always get an e36 m3 ;) $40 rotors, bulletproof engine and great powerband. It has its typical faults, but all are 100% fixable/if you fix it before it doesnt happen. After a year and 2 months of owning this car, 18 autocrosses, 6 track days of 2 hours each day, daily driving, and pace car duty, a power steering hose went (typical, 20 bucks in new hose) and I just broke a rear diff bolt (another typical problem, putting in E46 diff bolt, $2.81 at the dealer) Both have permanent fixes and are a common thing on these cars. Mind you, the car has 152,000 miles.

That said, the s2000 is faster and better classed in SCCA.
How much do the e36 run though?
For a good condition M3 with 80K-145K, expect to spend 7.5K to 11K (11k on the way high end)
Guess i need to drive both (s2k and m3). i'm also considering the miata...
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

hufflepuff wrote:i'm also considering the miata...
Bout time that was brought up. You won't find anything else come remotely close bang-for-the-buck-wise.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Claff wrote:
Bout time that was brought up. You won't find anything else come remotely close bang-for-the-buck-wise.
+1 Bang for the buck, fun for the buck, expanded opportunities if you decide to go racing (TTE, Spec Miata, etc).

I love miatas, I just came from a ~400 horsepower car before the M3, so I was already feeling like the M3 was underpowered, and just couldnt deal with the Miata on VIRs front straight or back straight.
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
Claff wrote:
+1 Bang for the buck, fun for the buck, expanded opportunities if you decide to go racing (TTE, Spec Miata, etc).

I love miatas, I just came from a ~400 horsepower car before the M3, so I was already feeling like the M3 was underpowered, and just couldnt deal with the Miata on VIRs front straight or back straight.
Are there many classes for the new miata?
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

hufflepuff wrote:Are there many classes for the new miata?
I think you lose some of the bang for your buck factor if you buy the last generation. They are still too new to be the best value. Even used they can be twice the price as a track ready NA or NB.

Miata SCCA classing options: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=397518
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

coming in a few months late here. both my wife and i were there. :) she was having eye troubles on saturday.. as in her contact scratched her entire eye!!! she was practically blind by the end of the day and we had to go to the hospital. she's fine now. we were tag-teaming our miata and it did great.. for saturday! since we went to the hospital i got about 2 hours of sleep and ran my first session then packed it in for the day on sunday. we're both glad that someone was able to take her student. she felt horrible about leaving a student out to dry. :(

saw the crx and the neon there. anyways, look for us this coming year. she'll be instructing again with NASA, some Track Daze and she's trying to get in on SCCA. i'll be there somewhere in novice group. :)
hufflepuff

Post by hufflepuff »

NAautoxer wrote:coming in a few months late here. both my wife and i were there. :) she was having eye troubles on saturday.. as in her contact scratched her entire eye!!! she was practically blind by the end of the day and we had to go to the hospital. she's fine now. we were tag-teaming our miata and it did great.. for saturday! since we went to the hospital i got about 2 hours of sleep and ran my first session then packed it in for the day on sunday. we're both glad that someone was able to take her student. she felt horrible about leaving a student out to dry. :(

saw the crx and the neon there. anyways, look for us this coming year. she'll be instructing again with NASA, some Track Daze and she's trying to get in on SCCA. i'll be there somewhere in novice group. :)
which run group were you in?
NAautoxer
Car: 1991 Honda Civic Si
CDC Member#: 0

Post by NAautoxer »

i'm a novice, she's an instructor..