EMRA @ Summit Point November 14th

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
defylogik
Car: Subaru STi / Miata Rat
CDC Member#: 352

Re: EMRA @ Summit Point November 14th

Post by defylogik »

Dave -

EMRA is like the wild west of motorsports :)

Lap times are posted at mylaps. -
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=614309

Congrats on your 1:31.4 (and 1st place finish)

-Scott
going balls out
http://www.racedayvinyl.com
Yep, we do numbers, and graphics, and unicorns.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

I have seen less stuff torn up at an EMRA time trial than I ever have at a NASA event.

Since EMRA travels so much there are never enough instructors. They also don't pay the instructors so alot of people won't show up just because of that to instruct.

The class results are posted also on the EMRA site.

http://www.emraracing.org/RESULTS/resul ... _setup.htm
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Great time out there on Sunday, Dave took 1st in Miata Challenge while I took 3rd, and James Newman took 2nd in ST-5.

My video from the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq6-oKMdWI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA3zkYGqJ2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNr1f7mh0JE
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

defylogik wrote:Dave -

-Scott
Can you give me some feedback on the Wild West comment? I am not offended by it but just trying to help EMRA with image and attandance and wanted to get feedback on this for them.

Dave
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

DaveL20 wrote:

-Scott
Can you give me some feedback on the Wild West comment? I am not offended by it but just trying to help EMRA with image and attandance and wanted to get feedback on this for them.

Dave
Since I share the same sentiment, I'll add my 2 cents. EMRA is one of my favorite clubs, but I feel like the general safety level is significantly lower than other organizations I have run with (Trackdaze, Mercedes-Benz, etc). Last year at Summit they had 2 cars roll over, 1 in the very first session of the day! At the event in Pocono this year, at least 3 cars broke down in the first session of the advanced group, creating several dangerous situations on track. Numerous black flags every event for late or aggressive passes. Just on Sunday I had a guy pass me in the braking zone of turn 1 with 4 wheels locked up, AFTER THE CHECKERED FLAG, in the first session of the day.

I love running with EMRA because its affordable, competitive, fun, and a great atmosphere. But I'm aware that some of the drivers have a little too much red-mist, or could stand to give their car an inspection before rolling out on track.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

The guy in the Bimmer that wrecked last year at Summit was not a regular with EMRA.

As far as safety goes tech is the only thing I wish was a little stronger. The black flags for late passes and the crazy stuff the guys get talked to. I have been in on those conversations. You can also talk to the organizers if you feel someone is unsafe and they will observe and talk to them if neccesary. I think part of the red mist with EMRA comes from every lap is a hot lap. We talked about that at the beginning of the year as a possible concern. They used to do like the SCCA and run a Hot session where they were the only time that laps were timed but you usually lost 1 whole session doing it because it was 2 laps at the end of the day. I like the current situation much better.

As far as stuff breaking there was alot of stuff at Pocono that broke. Most of it was motors and transmissions though. Tech is not going to catch that at all in any organization.

I will pass it along though so the powers that be know.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

milkmandan wrote: Since I share the same sentiment, I'll add my 2 cents. EMRA is one of my favorite clubs, but I feel like the general safety level is significantly lower than other organizations I have run with (Trackdaze, Mercedes-Benz, etc). Last year at Summit they had 2 cars roll over, 1 in the very first session of the day! At the event in Pocono this year, at least 3 cars broke down in the first session of the advanced group, creating several dangerous situations on track. Numerous black flags every event for late or aggressive passes. Just on Sunday I had a guy pass me in the braking zone of turn 1 with 4 wheels locked up, AFTER THE CHECKERED FLAG, in the first session of the day.

I love running with EMRA because its affordable, competitive, fun, and a great atmosphere. But I'm aware that some of the drivers have a little too much red-mist, or could stand to give their car an inspection before rolling out on track.

You do have to remember this is a time trial situation where people with no experience/little experience get to go out and time. The red mist is a large part of what NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA trains people out of before they ever even get out of HPDEs and into time trial. (Takes a lot longer than just a few events to get check ride in those groups for competition/time trials).

So getting red mist, bad situations is going to be a lot more likely. I knew from the second he said "unless your a basketcase you will get soloed after a few sessions" that your just more likely to get into something even though there is less traffic. NASA/SCCA/BMWCCA run between 40-60 cars at the same time on track, and have a stellar record, even more when you compare it to other organizations that typically have ~20 cars on track at the same time.
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

It was a very long day from getting up early, getting the trailer and such, but I had a blast. I was really happy that the weather was nice and that the track wasn't ice cold.
defylogik

Post by defylogik »

milkmandan wrote:
DaveL20 wrote:

-Scott

Dave
Since I share the same sentiment, I'll add my 2 cents. EMRA is one of my favorite clubs, but I feel like the general safety level is significantly lower than other organizations I have run with (Trackdaze, Mercedes-Benz, etc). Last year at Summit they had 2 cars roll over, 1 in the very first session of the day! At the event in Pocono this year, at least 3 cars broke down in the first session of the advanced group, creating several dangerous situations on track. Numerous black flags every event for late or aggressive passes. Just on Sunday I had a guy pass me in the braking zone of turn 1 with 4 wheels locked up, AFTER THE CHECKERED FLAG, in the first session of the day.

^what Josh said. I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Well actually the video i have from this last event of a dirt track car driving backwards on the track pretty much sums it up.... but i haven't posted that video yet. lol. Guy dropped all his coolant, full course black flag, then decided to take a parade lap around the track while everyone was waiting in the pits, potentially leaking anti-freeze all over the track. (turns out he only had water, so incident avoided, but still). This was the guys first time on a road course, was driving like a maniac, but for some reason they put him in the advanced group, when he should have been in the student group. Because you have oval racing experience does not mean you aren't a hazard for the REST OF US. You may have a full cage and all that safety gear, which might make you think you can drive like an idiot, but a lot of us out there don't have that gear, and we don't want to die due to YOUR negligence.

Ok rant over.

I always have a good time with EMRA, the crowd is great and friendly and i really like the laid back atmosphere, but some of the drivers haven't got a clue, and get solo'd off almost immediately. A few idiots aren't going to stop me from showing up and having fun. :)
going balls out
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

Yea the late model guys were figure 8 guys. The brown car was a hazzard the guy in the green car was not bad when I was running with him. He was pretty courteous. The other guy was a hazard though.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

defylogik

Post by defylogik »

Dave, you beat me by .3 seconds for the day :) hit my personal best out at summit main that day with a 1.29. As Josh predicted, I found the limit of HP+ brake pads in under 5 laps. There were a few moments when i was questioning the ability to bring this 3600lb couch on wheels to a stop hahahah

After watching your video, i will have to try your line in 5, 7 and 10 to see if it adds some time. I'm not sure i can get away with apexing that early in 10 though. Too chicken sh*t. lol
going balls out
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

That was my personal best also out there. I have run 1.30s on the stop watches but never been on timer.

I moved to the blue group after 1st session due to catching the back half in 2 laps in white group.

I love hanging it out through 10. That is the corner I am most comfortable with. I think I have more time in 1 and 2 and then the 5, 6, and 7 section. I think there might be another second or so in the car.
defylogik

Post by defylogik »

Shot from the rear facing camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqV4Bhi4gmQ

Youtube made me replace my sweet zz top music :(
going balls out
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

defylogik wrote:Dave, you beat me by .3 seconds for the day :) hit my personal best out at summit main that day with a 1.29. As Josh predicted, I found the limit of HP+ brake pads in under 5 laps. There were a few moments when i was questioning the ability to bring this 3600lb couch on wheels to a stop hahahah

After watching your video, i will have to try your line in 5, 7 and 10 to see if it adds some time. I'm not sure i can get away with apexing that early in 10 though. Too chicken sh*t. lol
Ditch the HP+ for real track work. At summit, not being chickenshit can bring down a lot of time with no real effort.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
defylogik wrote:Dave, you beat me by .3 seconds for the day :) hit my personal best out at summit main that day with a 1.29. As Josh predicted, I found the limit of HP+ brake pads in under 5 laps. There were a few moments when i was questioning the ability to bring this 3600lb couch on wheels to a stop hahahah

Ditch the HP+ for real track work. At summit, not being chickenshit can bring down a lot of time with no real effort.
I was thinking the same thing. I run stock Ford pads for normal duty and switch them the day before the event to CarboTech XP10s. I can run them to and from and event if need be and the switch back. Switch brake fluid also. I run Motul all year round in my car. Flush it out once a year and start all over fresh the next year.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

A couple laps in traffic until a red MR2 decides to spray some fluids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGd0zNgnVdo

My fastest lap. Approximately 1:32. Reading taken from camera. Far from accurate.

Still learning so would love some feedback. I know I'm not hitting some of the apexes as cleanly as I should. Aside from that, would love to get your input.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

Get into turn 1 deeper. You lifted and coasted a long way in. Also into 5 you need to be wider to drivers right. That way instead of trying to fight it off the outside curb and run back into 6 you can apex it a little later and then setup for 6, 7, 8.
D_Eclipse9916

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

phranquelynn wrote:A couple laps in traffic until a red MR2 decides to spray some fluids

My fastest lap. Approximately 1:32. Reading taken from camera. Far from accurate.

Still learning so would love some feedback. I know I'm not hitting some of the apexes as cleanly as I should. Aside from that, would love to get your input.

Your braking too much....everwhere. :lol: With a miata at Summit you shouldnt be braking much, certainly nowhere between 1-5. Also your "turning" too much in 3 and 4 especially. Road racing you need to smooth it out a bit more than autocrossing. Is this on your slicks or street tires? You definitely need moar agressive braking deep into turn 1 and 5. Not bad for your first time on summit tho, looks like your having fun.
phranquelynn
Car: Tic Tac
CDC Member#: 733

Post by phranquelynn »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
phranquelynn wrote:A couple laps in traffic until a red MR2 decides to spray some fluids

Your braking too much....everwhere. :lol: With a miata at Summit you shouldnt be braking much, certainly nowhere between 1-5. Also your "turning" too much in 3 and 4 especially. Road racing you need to smooth it out a bit more than autocrossing. Is this on your slicks or street tires? You definitely need moar agressive braking deep into turn 1 and 5. Not bad for your first time on summit tho, looks like your having fun.
running on older RA1s. yeah, i know i'm braking more than i should. didn't know it was a lot. good to know. i'm scared. lol

this is me at the long straight from 10 to 1 :D
after passing pit out :)
thinking about braking :roll:
glancing up to see tire wall at end of straight :cry:
back concentrating :x
looking at markers to wonder if i should brake :?
starting to brake :shock:
waiting for the brakes to slow me down :o
making it through the turn :mrgreen:
repeat process :D

between 1 and 5, i'm lightly braking at 3 and lifting before 4. hard brake before 5. you really think i can make it through 1-5 without brakes at all? not that i'm going to try anytime soon (see above). but good to know where i should aim for.

when you say turning too much in 3 and 4. i need to turn earlier to straighten it out?

yeah, i've been told by every instructor that i need to smooth things out. good to hear it again though.

it was my second time at summit. yeap, definitely having fun!
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

The Miata is all about momentum as you know.

I would say you could get into 3 much harder. 3 is an uphill turn so you will naturally lose speed. In the Focus I start braking at about the road and am back to the gas hard mid corner. I would say in the Miata (less power) you should be able to run farther up the hill before braking. Not hard braking but kind of enough to set the nose then back to the gas. I have seen too many cars in the tire walls in 4 to not brake through there.

In watching the video again you do need to be farther to the right through 4. Closer to the gator. I actual hit it from time to time.

Definate get farther right into 5 and late apex it a little bit. When you apex it as early as you are it is harder to get to the gas through the corner and up the hill to 6. I am by no means an expert but just in watching and running the 8 - 10 times I have been there that is what I have been told and experienced.