EMRA @ Summit Point November 14th

Summit Point, VIR, Nürburgring
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

EMRA @ Summit Point November 14th

Post by DaveL20 »

EMRA has an event at Summit Point in November.

This one of the last events of the year at Summit if I am not mistaken. Come out and Time Trial with us or just come and run for fun.

We have beginners group with instructors, Intermediate and Advanced groups that will be running also.

I know Fred has run with us in the past at this event. Come on out and see what the track is all about.

Sunday - Nov. 14th Summit Point (Main Circuit)

http://www.emraracing.org/index.html
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Re: EMRA @ Summit Point November 14th

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

Sweet no way to register/know the price.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

Summit is usually in the $200.00 range for Time Trials.

Registration probably won't open until mid October. I will keep you updated on that. Should get 4 - 5 20 minute sessions per group. They are running transponders now so every lap on the track is timed and you best lap of the day counts.

Makes for a very fun and exciting day.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

DaveL20 wrote:Summit is usually in the $200.00 range for Time Trials.

Registration probably won't open until mid October. I will keep you updated on that. Should get 4 - 5 20 minute sessions per group. They are running transponders now so every lap on the track is timed and you best lap of the day counts.

Makes for a very fun and exciting day.
How much is transponder rental and what is involved in attaching it to the car?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

I'll be there competing in Miata Challenge.

Transponder rental is $35 + refundable deposit. Most people bolt the transponder to their front licence plate, or zip tie to a tow hook/tie down point.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

the other racedayvinyl.com guy
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

milkmandan wrote:I'll be there competing in Miata Challenge.

Transponder rental is $35 + refundable deposit. Most people bolt the transponder to their front licence plate, or zip tie to a tow hook/tie down point.
You mean I zip-tie my $300 deposit to my tow hook and go racing. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I looked over the classing for the Miata and also looked at all of the rules. The NA lands in ST-4, but I run 15x7 wheels which are outside of the allowed range. Seems like tire width isn't listed anywhere in the allowable exceptions so I have no idea what class that puts me in under EMRA.

I think I end up with 9 points in MC, but my tires force me into modified where I would be heavily under prepared. I need some NT-01s. They are about as sticky as RA-1s but have a higher tread wear rating that would keep me in the street class.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

david.valeri wrote:
milkmandan wrote:I'll be there competing in Miata Challenge.

You mean I zip-tie my $300 deposit to my tow hook and go racing. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I looked over the classing for the Miata and also looked at all of the rules. The NA lands in ST-4, but I run 15x7 wheels which are outside of the allowed range. Seems like tire width isn't listed anywhere in the allowable exceptions so I have no idea what class that puts me in under EMRA.

I think I end up with 9 points in MC, but my tires force me into modified where I would be heavily under prepared. I need some NT-01s. They are about as sticky as RA-1s but have a higher tread wear rating that would keep me in the street class.
You can bolt it to the inside of your wheel-well like a lot of SM guys do, but you'd have to bring your own appropriate bolts for that. I personally ziptie mine (my own, not a rental) to a towhook. Its never come off, or even moved. If your nose ends up in a tirewall you've got bigger problems than a busted transponder. As long as there is no metal between the transponder and the road surface, you're good to go. I've also seen plenty of people just tape their transponder to the outside of their car.

EMRA is very casual, nobody would care if you ran ST-4. MC is running a single catch-all class until there's more entrants. Run MC with all the cool kids.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

If you have classing question email them and they will tell you exactly which class you should be in. They are very laid back about it.

They are really chasing the race numbers this year. We usually have between 50 and 60 Time Trialers show up but they have been struggling to get more than 20 or 30 racers per weekend to show up.

I think it is because they travel so much and are not as local as like NASA or the Summit Point crowd.

I have run with them for like 4 or 5 years now and have never had a problem with anyone in the group. Everyone gets it. We are not running for money it is trophies and fun.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Sounds like I could have fun with these guys and not sweat about the details too much.

200 (reg) + 30 (transponder) + 40 (school) + 30 (license) = 300

That isn't too far off from what I normally pay for a day plus I get accurate timed laps instead of estimating based on video.

Am I required to do the school if I am solo'd with BSR (the FATT guys) but not competition licensed?
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

Forgot the best part about EMRA:

$100 discount for first time drivers (first time with EMRA, not overall)

http://www.emraracing.org/first_timers.html
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

david.valeri wrote:Sounds like I could have fun with these guys and not sweat about the details too much.

200 (reg) + 30 (transponder) + 40 (school) + 30 (license) = 300

That isn't too far off from what I normally pay for a day plus I get accurate timed laps instead of estimating based on video.

Am I required to do the school if I am solo'd with BSR (the FATT guys) but not competition licensed?
I think your price would be 200 (reg) + 30 (transponder) + 40 (school) - 100 (discount) = $170. You earn your licence from taking the school, the $30 fee is if you've already got a licence from another organization.
2001 Mazda Miata
1991 Mazda Miata

FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

These guys are alot of fun. I did the TT last November. I didn't do a school, and don't think I got charged for a license. I was in the fast group, which was small and everyone was pretty good. I actually had to ask the lady at registration if she was going to charge me, she handed me my stuff and told me I was all set. You can't beat the $100.00 off first time deal.
Fred
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

If you can prove you have run with NASA, or FATTs, ect you don't have to do the school.

If you want an instructor they will provide one for you. Usually unless you are a complete basket case most guys are signed off and solo after 2 or 3 sessions. I have seen them check ride some guys after one session and let them move to the red group.

Blue is the fastest group/experts.

White is intermediate group or the guys that are slower that the fast group. I run about a 1.30 around Summit and am usually the slowest guy in the Blue group or one of the fastest in the white. I am more comfortable in White so they let me run there. The group is laid back and as long as you follow the rules and are respectful of others there are no problems.

All passing is on front stretch and usually between 9 and 10 on the main course with point by. Blue group is a little lax on point bys and if the White group guys know each other sometimes we forget.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

I'd probably have more fun in white group since I wouldn't have to have my arm sticking out the window the entire time and with passing only in the designated areas, I'd just be holding the higher HP cars up for 3/4 of the lap.

I think I am going to put this on my calendar and make a point to get some more seat time on main before November.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

So it would appear that EMRA is going to try and have 2 or 3 "practice" or "test and tune" session on Saturday as well at Summit Point along with the Time Trials on Sunday.

Anyone interested I think they should have the website updated by the end of the week.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

DaveL20 wrote:So it would appear that EMRA is going to try and have 2 or 3 "practice" or "test and tune" session on Saturday as well at Summit Point along with the Time Trials on Sunday.

Anyone interested I think they should have the website updated by the end of the week.
Damn. York Automotive is having a dyno day on that Sat. Now I don't know what to do.
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

Registration is up and open currently.

Price is $200 Saturday, $200 Sunday or $300 for both days.

Also if you are a first time competitor with EMRA there is a coupon to take an additional $100 off.

For the first timers with us that would be a hell of a deal at $200 for both days.

Hope to see you all there.

Dave
Racer X
Car: Crossfire SRT-6

Post by Racer X »

What tires do most participants use during this event? Thanks
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

People run a little of everything. When you see what kind of cars show up it is the same way.

I have seen street tires all the way up to Goodyear slicks on old Craftsman series trucks run.

At the last event at Pocono a guy showed up with an old Gurney Eagle with a 350 small block in it with racing slicks on it.

It don't matter. If you show up with a car we will figure out what class it goes in and get you on track.
Racer X

Post by Racer X »

DaveL20 wrote:People run a little of everything. When you see what kind of cars show up it is the same way.

I have seen street tires all the way up to Goodyear slicks on old Craftsman series trucks run.

At the last event at Pocono a guy showed up with an old Gurney Eagle with a 350 small block in it with racing slicks on it.

It don't matter. If you show up with a car we will figure out what class it goes in and get you on track.
I have a nearly new set of Hoosier A6's on my SRT-6. Do you think that they will last through the 2 days of hot laps or would it be better to complete the event on my street PS2's?
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Lots of people run A6's on the track, including me occassionally. It does depend a little on the car and how you are driving, but they should be fine especially in November.
FredK
Racer X

Post by Racer X »

FredK wrote:Lots of people run A6's on the track, including me occassionally. It does depend a little on the car and how you are driving, but they should be fine especially in November.
FredK
Thanks,
DaveL20

Post by DaveL20 »

Just talked to powers that be at EMRA

Saturday will be 4 20 minute practice sessions for Time Trialers. No instructors on Saturday. All groups will run together.

Sunday will be 4 groups, Students, Red, White, and Blue. Each group will get 5 20 minute sessions. If time permits and it is not too dark they may try and squeeze in an extra session.
Tim.R

Post by Tim.R »

So who is going to the EMRA at Summit Point Sunday?

I will be there!
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Well that was a blast. Lots of track time for not a lot of money. The run groups were small so there was practically no traffic. Having a transponder to get accurate lap times was also a nice to have (too bad Franklin wouldn't pony up the $35 to rent one). Everyone was really nice and I got to chase a spec Miata around the track for a bunch of laps which was really educational.

I would not recommend these guys for a complete track novice. Their instructors weren't bad, but they were a little disorganized and they had too few of them. They also had students who were doing lead-follow because they didn't have a passenger seat. My first session was spent in the lead with another car that was running 15-30 second slower laps than me in tow. That was resolved after the first session and the remainder of the day went well. I wasn't too keen on the student group having folks of all skill levels in one bucket but the students all behaved well for the most part. Outside of the student group, things seem to run pretty smoothly.

I definitely plan to go back next season.