Image Resize

Forum feedback, suggestions, report glitches.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Image Resize

Post by kyle.bowker »

The forum allows you to post images up to 1600x1200 pixels using the bbcode [img] tag. Not everyone has their monitor display resolution set to 1600x1200. Accordingly, I've installed a mod that automatically resizes large images so they are fully displayed in the message body. If you see an image that has been resized, click the image to view at full resolution. The image will be displayed in a pop up window at full resolution. If it doesn't display at a higher resolution then the image wasn't automatically resized to fit the forum or perhaps your pop up blocker is preventing the javascript window from opening.

Currently, when you click on a resized image to display at full resolution, you may not be able to see the entire image if the image size exceeds your monitor's display resolution. I plan to improve this "off the shelf" mod so that when you click on the image to display at full resolution the pop up window will have scroll bars so that you can see everything. Alternatively, I may code it so that the pop up window allows you to zoom in to display at maximum resolution with scroll bars or zoom out to show the image at your monitor's display resolution.

You may notice that the forum used to be a fixed width so that it was compatible with the CDC banner image in the forum header. I've since switched to a fluid width that changes depending on your particular monitor display resolution. Unfortunately, the image resize mod is fixed width. I've set it to proportionally resize any large images so that they display no wider than 600px. Unfortunately, this may still result in some cropping of images if you are running a screen resolution of 800x600 (maybe time to think about upgrading to a newer, larger monitor if this is the case?) I hope to eventually fix this mod so that it only resizes images if necessary depending on your monitor's display resolution.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Re: Image Resize

Post by kyle.bowker »

I realize most users have their monitor display resolution set at 1024x768. I plan to modify the forum so that user profiles are on the left hand side of the screen instead of on the right and I will make it more narrow. This may result in some word wrapping if you list more than 1 car in your profile. However, I think it may permit me to change the settings so that images 800x600px (a very popular standard) won't need to be automatically resized to fit.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

kyle.bowker wrote:I plan to improve this "off the shelf" mod so that when you click on the image to display at full resolution the pop up window will have scroll bars so that you can see everything.
Done. You may need to maximize the window to see both scrollbars.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

One artifact of all this messing around with software code is that the "Post Reply" button is overlaid with "Post a reply" text. Hopefully I can find this glitch and fix it.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Sorry folks. I just tested it with Internet Explorer and it doesn't work (proof that Firefox is the better web browser). I'll keep plugging away at this later. It's 4am for Pete's sake! Design is always a matter of compromise.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

Okay, I got the automatic image resize code to work with Internet Explorer 7. Everything functions as it should with IE7 including scrollbars. Unfortunately, the scrollbars don't work with Firefox.