RSS Feed

Forum feedback, suggestions, report glitches.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

RSS Feed

Post by kyle.bowker »

phpBB3.0 doesn't offer a built-in RSS feed. There are some MODs which might work but nothing is officially supported by the developers our forum software. This seems kind of ridiculous given the availability of RSS feeds for their old phpBB2.0. I'll do some more digging and see what I can find. This seems to be the #1 complaint about phpBB3.0 right now.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Re: RSS Feed

Post by kyle.bowker »

I've updated the forum software to include both Atom and RSS feed capability. I've tested it with IE7.0 and it works fine but there is a problem with Firefox. Apparently, Firefox doesn't support the Atom feed natively. When I attempt to subscribe I get a blank live bookmark page. Unfortunately, when I click on the RSS icon in the address bar, Firefox chooses the atom over the RSS2 feed. Reversing the order in the template gives the same result. Some forum administrators have chosen to remove the atom feed from the template completely, leaving only the RSS feed. I may end up going this route, although what effect it will have with users is unknown. Anybody use Google's feed viewer?

I'll keep working on a solution to the FIrefox issue and also so that the link takes you directly to the relevant post instead of the first post in the thread. For now, here are the direct links:
syndication.php?type=rss
syndication.php?type=atom
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

kyle.bowker wrote:I'll keep working on a solution... so that the link takes you directly to the relevant post instead of the first post in the thread.
Fixed.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

RSS feed now works with both Firefox 2.0+ and IE7.0. I just went ahead and removed the atom feed from the script since that was tripping up Firefox. Sorry if you prefer atom over RSS. You'll have to live with it until someone releases something better for phpBB3.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin

Post by kyle.bowker »

I've fixed the feed so that it can now handle posts that have no subject title.