This Is How Not To Drive A Porsche On A Race Track

Funny jokes, home repair, politics, movies. Please keep it clean. PG-13
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

This Is How Not To Drive A Porsche On A Race Track

Post by ACoopeR »

This reminds me of the time a gt3-cup car came out to summit point and spun in the pit lane entering the track and mounted the tire wall.... in the dry...... black flagged the session and everyone had to come in, many a 'cold tire' joke was told that day. A bit tough to get sympathy when you bring a 6 figure car to your 2nd ever track day lol

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-how-not-to- ... -129701947
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
Kinickie
Car: 2013 Toyobaru
CDC Member#: 569

Re: This Is How Not To Drive A Porsche On A Race Track

Post by Kinickie »

Yikes!

I'm doing my first real track day in March (FATT). I did the Ariel Atom Experience at VIR, but that doesn't really count.

I haven't done any events in the new car (which is also my first RWD), so I'll be at the Harry Grove event to get some low-speed experience before taking it to Summit Point. Hopefully that will keep me from getting too slideways at FATT :lol:
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

ACoopeR wrote:This reminds me of the time a gt3-cup car came out to summit point and spun in the pit lane entering the track and mounted the tire wall.... in the dry...... black flagged the session and everyone had to come in, many a 'cold tire' joke was told that day. A bit tough to get sympathy when you bring a 6 figure car to your 2nd ever track day lol

To be fair enough, he was told by his Porsche "buddies" that it was the best track car to get. He brought it out and quicky realized before the accident he was a bit over his head with that car. Turned out to be a nice guy, expect to see him out with a little less crazy race car soon.

(I dont know him but talked to him a while in the paddock).
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

To be honest, every event I have gone to at Summit point provides an instructor for new folks and stuff like what was in the video doesn't really happen....

That Atom experience sounds like a blast, I am very jealous!!!!

Both FATT and CDC have bunches of experienced folks happy to help from what i have seen so I wouldn't worry :)
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

D_Eclipse9916 wrote:
ACoopeR wrote:This reminds me of the time a gt3-cup car came out to summit point and spun in the pit lane entering the track and mounted the tire wall.... in the dry...... black flagged the session and everyone had to come in, many a 'cold tire' joke was told that day. A bit tough to get sympathy when you bring a 6 figure car to your 2nd ever track day lol

To be fair enough, he was told by his Porsche "buddies" that it was the best track car to get. He brought it out and quicky realized before the accident he was a bit over his head with that car. Turned out to be a nice guy, expect to see him out with a little less crazy race car soon.

(I dont know him but talked to him a while in the paddock).

The best advice I got, excluding look as far ahead as you eyes can manage, was to start with a slow car. So my first 2 years was a car with 100 hp. No way to know for sure but I think that helped me out and kept the costs down. Glad to hear it didn't ruin his enthusiasm. To be honest I am jealous I can't afford it, hence poking fun :oops:
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

I'm not exactly a track fiend but from what I've heard it's not uncommon for a car or two to get stuffed over the course of the weekend. People trying to be heroes :roll:

Oh and the video was taken down :(
--Nick D
ACoopeR

Post by ACoopeR »

Someone made a gif of one the best parts before it was taken down: http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18emls8 ... xlarge.gif

The old, I am about to slide off best take one hand off the wheel and grab the a-pillar trick :shock:

Can't say i have seen more than a couple of cars car get badly damaged at a track day, one was due to brake failure. I have seen a number of folks take the 'green' line so to speak and the occasional break down, but usually light damage, my events are the pdx/trackdaze/hpde type not w2w, although even in the lemons races i have driven in, there is rarely a bad crash probably because we are going so slow lolol