Post by mp923 »

:shock:
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: AIG anyone?

Post by kyle.bowker »

I'm not a day trader nor am I a big investor in stocks so I don't pay much attention to day to day fluctuations in stock prices. Personally, I think the stock market is a sham for small time investors who feel they have to be a part of it to diversify their portfolio because rich people do it therefore it must be good. But for those with money to gamble it looks like AIG is on a roll. I already own enough AIG for my tastes thanks to the taxpayer's generous donations. I don't need/want anymore. I generally only invest in businesses that I "believe in". While I might not make as much money I feel much better about what I'm doing with my money. Don't even get me started on insurance companies....
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Post by echan »

I still think PWE is the best stock to hold for the dividends (about 13% APR that is paid monthly rather than quarterly).

In addition, I think oil in the long run won't go down. So overall, I think the stock price won't go further down (although it's about half of the price it was last year), but the dividends help mitigate the stock price. Recently, PWE's price seems pretty stable.

If you look at the chart for PWE, the stock drops sharply on the ex-dividend date. What I've seen is that the dividend is typically about $0.15 per share but the stock drops about $0.35 then rebounds over the month. So if you going to buy the stock, I'd buy it on the ex-dividend date.
JoeTR6
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 44

Post by JoeTR6 »

The Apple stock I bought a year ago for 95 is looking pretty good at 165. Then again, if Steve Jobs coughs funny, it'll tank in a day. But I'm with Kyle. I hate when greedy bastards like AIG win. At least Apple is making something besides money.