Lexus RXh (the h stands for hypocrite)

Funny jokes, home repair, politics, movies. Please keep it clean. PG-13
ScoobyDoo
Car: 1972 Mystery Machine
CDC Member#: 499

Lexus RXh (the h stands for hypocrite)

Post by ScoobyDoo »

If any of you commute from VA to DC you are probably aware of the the HOV lanes, which allow cars with 3 or more occupants, motorcycles, and hybrid vehicles (regardless of the number of passengers). Hybrid cars must be registered as "clean fuel" vehicles and they get a special license plate that has CF at the end. I recently commuted from Stafford and noticed along the way that a Lexus RXh SUV had clean fuel tags on it and had only a driver in the car. When I got to work I looked up the fuel economy. 28 mpg highway!! Any small displacement, low weight car gets more than that on the highway! Shoot, even the Audi A6 gets better gas mileage than that, and they're not allowed on the HOV unless they've got 3+ people in them. I couldn't believe those smug bastards. It reminds me of the South Park episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HJxVM9-07g
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Re: Lexus RXh (the h stands for hypocrite)

Post by kyle.bowker »

I don't think it's only about highway fuel economy. The VA HOV lane exemption for hybrid vehicles is just one of many incentives for people to purchase hybrid vehicles. Government is encouraging people to seek out these new technology vehicles in hopes that greater hybrid sales will lower costs thus making the technology more prevalent amongst all vehicles. This is good because hybrids typically have fewer tailpipe emissions (a good thing especially in/ around cities where the air pollution is worst and the idle start/stop feature of hybrids helps a great deal) and they have better fuel economy and/or more power than their standard gasoline ICE peers.

Just because people need/want utility doesn't mean they have to drive a 12mpg pig. A hyrbid SUV gets better fuel economy and has fewer tailpipe emissions than a comparable gasoline ICE non-hybrid. There are other environmental costs associated with hybrids as well (most people gripe about the batteries) but the hope is that technology and research will address those issues, too.

It is clear that something must be done and most see hybrids as a step in the right direction (although certainly not a final stop). Right about now hybrid haters will mention diesels but their tailpipes aren't that clean and although they are very efficient for an ICE (both on the refining end and when burning the fuel) but they don't move the game ahead much in terms of technological advancement. Diesels will play an important role as vehicles become more energy diverse but they are not the savior for our energy issues.

The VA HOV lane exemption for certain hybrid vehicles was extended to June 30, 2010 but it is unlikely to remain in effect indefinitely.
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I don't disagree with your points, but let's think about it logically. The HOV lane is by definition for commuting. What kind of vehicle is an SUV for commuting? I can understand that people need cargo space, but this was an empty hybrid SUV on its way to work with only one person in it. I'm not trying to knock the RXh, I'm just knockin the system that allows it to take the same advantages as vehicles that gets twice the mileage and rejects other vehicles that still get better fuel economy but have regular ICEs.

Also, hybrids still have ICEs in them, so advancements in the fuel consumption still favorably affect hybrids and non-hybrids alike. The real push, I would say, is for battery technology and is looking at full electric vehicles down the road. Now that plug-ins are becoming available, perhaps the gov'ment should restrict "clean fuel" tags to only those vehicles with an electrical outlet and not psuedo-efficient hybrid gas guzzlers.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

I totally get where you are coming from, however I think Kyle hit the nail on the head. It will take baby steps for the mass populous to get there. Also, by your first statement you are suggesting then that people have multiple vehicles each to suit a definate purpose? That wouldn't be very environmentally friendly or help in reduction of petroleum dependance (due to manufacturing) even if they all were hybrids.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
ScoobyDoo

Post by ScoobyDoo »

I agree, at this rate it will take forever to see cleaner vehicles (how long has GM been advertising the Volt?). People don't need to have multiple vehicles for different purposes. The point I'm trying to make is that if these people with an RXh are truly concerned about the environment, then they would carpool with all that extra space that they aren't using. You can comfortably fit at least 3 passengers in addition to the driver, but instead, these clowns are tooling around by themselves. Furthermore, simply by the fact that they own a Lexus, I would be willing to bet that they have more cars in their driveway than the average Joe.
hepcatz
Car: '86 AE86 MillenniumFalcon
CDC Member#: 434

Post by hepcatz »

good point, they obviously did not stop off at an area slug lot.
Vegan Powered Racing
'08 Mazda MX5 "Slowe Azz" /'86 Toyota AE86 "Millennium Falcon"
52 ax =)
http://www.cafepress.com/autocrossr
moto-ufo
Car: 2006 Mazda MX-5
CDC Member#: 492

Post by moto-ufo »

I'll jump on the gripe-wagon. Like Scooby said, the HOV lane is for rush-hour traffic mitigation by encouraging car-pooling, thereby potentially removing 2 to 4 cars (maybe 5 or more if you have a big car and make use of the extra seating) from rush-hour traffic. How does a hybrid carrying just the driver accomplish this!? To me, this is idiotic.

Yes, HOV also has a positive environmental impact due to less tailpipe emissions and fossil fuel consumption through removal of 3 or 4 cars. While at highway speeds the hybrid is also employing its combustion engine full time - is this engine 3 or 4 times more efficient than even a modern v6 to justify zero passengers? Heck no.