SLR camera

Funny jokes, home repair, politics, movies. Please keep it clean. PG-13
bugman1964

SLR camera

Post by bugman1964 »

Hey guys my wife and I are looking for a new camera, we have had point and shoots so far. Right now we have been using a cannon and my wife doesn't like how confusing the menus are and how fuzzy the pictures are. But that being said it doesn't mean that cannon's SLR's are bad. We're looking to stay under 700 any tips or tricks or recommendations? It will primarily be used to take pictures of people and scenery and used to take pictures while at the races.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
ferris

Re: SLR camera

Post by ferris »

I picked up a D60 kit for around 700 two years back. The best deals are on the entry level bodies that come with two lenses. I got my camera, a 18-55mm lense and a 55-200 mm lense for around $700 or so. I know that the D60 really isn't sold anymore, but there are still deals on similar newer cameras around.

I would check amazon because they seem to have good deals every once in awhile.

Good luck.

BTW, you don't need to stick with Nikon to get these starter kits, they are available for other manufacturers as well.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

bugman1964 wrote:...Right now we have been using a cannon...
Good lord. Be careful.
The_Bishop
Car: '08 E.R.A FIA / '04 STi
CDC Member#: 316

Post by The_Bishop »

^ :lol:
Claff
Car: many Miatas!
CDC Member#: 793

Post by Claff »

My stuff is getting up in years but I've always been a Nikon shooter (D100, D70s). So I am obligated to saying that if you go Nikon, you can't go wrong.

At the Pro Solo a couple months ago I shot a hundred or so frames using Newman's newish Canon and it worked fine and the results were very good as well.

So I'd say that going with either, you won't be disappointed. You'd probably have to go to a camera store and see how each fits in your hands, how quickly you can get through the switches/dials/menus to get it to bend to your will, and get whichever you prefer. I can't speak for brands other than the two mentioned above.
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

http://www.dpreview.com/

^^ lots of good info. And I suspect that's why you're asking here - there is so much good info out there it can be overwhelming!

I don't know that I'd want a SLR for $700. I mean, sure, you can get started for that much but for something really amazing you'll end up spending at least twice that. Don't forget different lenses, filters, polarizers, tripods, strobes, etc.

Like all camera shoppers, you are looking for the ideal intersection of price, performance, features and ease of use. SLRs are great but they require a commitment - they are bulky and work best when not in Auto mode but that also means lots of opportunities to screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. How much practicing are you willing to do to learn how to become a good photographer?

As this is a camera for you and your wife to share then your criteria are likely different than if it was just for you. If I was in your shoes I would strongly consider the Olympus PEN E-PL1 camera. It uses the Micro 4/3rds format that fits in between consumer point and shoot cameras and prosumer DSLRs. It is easier to carry than a DSLR and simpler for your wife to operate. It captures HD video and has the ability to interchange different lenses so you can get creative. If you don't mind losing certain functionality (like auto-focus) you can even use an adapter to mount certain Nikon or Canon lenses.
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Post by Gonz »

Any DSLR will be a huge improvement over your current "blurry" images.
Beyond the actual lens & sensor improvements, you will actually be able to see and choose your focus point, shutter speeds, etc. No more blurry shots.

I would get the basic kit that comes with the plasticky 18-55 or 18-70 lens. These lenses are far from great, but worth the $100 price difference to get you started. For the telephoto zoom lens, I would buy 2nd hand (aka used). Either from B&H photo or KEH.com or craigslist, etc. For about $200 you can pick up a lens that sold new for $600+ and is far better than the telephoto zoom lens that would come in the kit. This really will make a noticeable improvement in the image.

As for which make, stick to the big three. Canon, Nikon or Minolta ....... er Sony. They all are good products and will have the largest support network, as well as availability of lenses & accessories. I have a Sony alpha200. Pretty much entry level model. I went with Sony because when my Minolta film SLR died, this is the brand that allows me to use all my old lenses. It's also nice to have in-camera image stabilization on the entry level camera.

I've got some of my AutoX shots on the CDC Flickr page. I think for $700 you should be able to get something pretty good. Not professional; but you don't really need a full frame sensor, 32MP images, magnesium body, or $3000 price tag to take good pictures. Most of the "taking good pictures" will come from your eye for a good picture, and your ability to set up and frame the shot, rather than from the equipment.

mp923

Post by mp923 »

Have you found a camera yet?