What was your winter project?

Discuss all things auto related.
BugBomb
Car: '02 Whorevette
CDC Member#: 33

What was your winter project?

Post by BugBomb »

We're down to the last few weeks before CDC starts up again.

We have made quite a few changes to the SUXASS, and a few changes are still in the works for these last couple weeks. For instance, the car has received new Impreza STi axles, hubs, wheel bearings, rear brakes, and rear differential. We have also upgraded the front brakes, eliminated those pesky JIC coil-overs that have a tendency to snap in half, and put in a new steering column quickener (2 turns lock-to-lock). The new hubs are a different bolt pattern than most Imprezas, so we were forced to buy all new wheels.

Unfortunately, all these new parts won't do much to make the car faster at the moment. The new wheel bearings are stronger, as are the new axles and rear diff. It's really just preparation for future modifications, and to avoid destroying more axles at the starting line. The new bolt pattern has a much broader wheel selection, which will make it easier to get wider wheels/tires later.

So what did you change over the winter?
Mike M
"There’s no way you can eat a hot pocket and do this." -Ed Chan
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Gonz
CDC Member#: 12

Re: What was your winter project?

Post by Gonz »

BugBomb wrote:
Unfortunately, all these new parts won't do much to make the car faster at the moment.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, right !

SOunds like you guys got quite a bit done! It's nice to have acces to a lift and an expert Subaru mechanic in the family !

let's see....... preparations. Well, I put another 3 or 4000 miles on the car. Running it up to 92K. This will definitely not make it faster.

what else? oh, I did some work on the Mustang to prep it for the track season. It's going to be waaaaaaaaay slower than the WRX, but i'll probably use it for AutoX, just to get the seat time. Plus, we need some more American cars at our events AND it makes nice V8 noises.

I added some camber, picked up a used set of Victoracerse, put in a new set of springs, changed the rear LCA & added a Panhard bar.

Francois helped me with all this stuff, and you know how dang fast his car is, so Watch OUT :shock:

:lol:
haha. I crack me up. The only thing the car really does fast is burn fuel 8-)

see you guys on March 30.
mla163
Car: 2006 WRX
CDC Member#: 29

Post by mla163 »

My winter project was putting on 5 pounds, drinking beer and playing too much playstation.

Mission accomplished

As far as the car goes, new swaybars and endlinks.
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

Gonz,
Let me know if you would like to trade some seat time at one of the Test&Tunes. I would love to try that Stang. Sometimes I miss mine.
Mike M
The views expressed herein are my own and are not intended to sound like a "dick."
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

BugBomb wrote:Gonz,
Let me know if you would like to trade some seat time at one of the Test&Tunes. I would love to try that Stang. Sometimes I miss mine.
sure, we can do that some time. 8-)
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

My little kit car got a few minor tweeks. I gradually went from 450# springs to 900#'s last year, I kept the same stock shocks, well, they went on a little trip to California this winter and got some attention at the Bilstein revalve center. I also always hated all the bushings in my suspension and steering rack, all the bushings were cut out and replace with big sperical bearings,or solid aluminum, nice. I also had a Detroit Locker posi, not good, it made the car impossible to turn under power without throwing it sideways. It now has a nice geared, torque biased posi, should turn with the power on. The other Cobras are completely dissasembled to their frames throughout the region in a sad attempt to keep up. Can't wait to get going.

FredK
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

-new wheels
-2 new sets of tires
-smaller front bar
-stiffer springs
-new exhaust for ST* category rules
-new tunes

Nothing tooo serious...
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page
Imprezive_04
Car: 99 FRC\EvoX
CDC Member#: 317

Post by Imprezive_04 »

Ground control coilover sleeves, 325lb springs in the front and 300lb springs in the rear. With ground control caster/camber plates. Can't wait for the season to start.
Ryan P
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

FredK wrote:The other Cobras are completely dissasembled to their frames throughout the region in a sad attempt to keep up.
...blah, blah, blah....I told you, I'm just changing the oil. It's easier with the body off and drivetrain removed. :mrgreen:
FamilyTruckster
Car: 89&90 Country Squire
CDC Member#: 206

Post by FamilyTruckster »

I upgraded the front swaybar to a 1 1/4" addco. Bodymounts are in the works. I did the first set on a friends car recently. Got an insane B&M cooler for the trans, just need to get the fittings and mount it. And I made the radiator leak again, so a new rad is needed before anymore racing. :cry:

My "other" moneypit er... racer...got a set of lightwieght wheels and victoracers. Too bad the complete suspension, brakes, and drivetrain need to be replaced.

I have a feeling my Protege5 will be autocrossing a bit this year.

Fred, Torsen? Or something better?
Mike, the guy with the big woody wagon #206
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FamilyTruckster
FredK

Post by FredK »

I was planning on a Torsen, then I read about many problems with the newer ones. I ended up getting a DPI Platinum track dif, ahh, kind of made to my specs. I kept it on a granite counter over the winter it was so pretty. The guys who made it put them in 750 hp asphalt modifieds, so I think I'll be alright. It is a geared torque biased unit. I haven't put it in the car yet, but it's all togeather and ready.
ProDarwin
Car: Who knows?
CDC Member#: 242

Post by ProDarwin »

I did 2 major overhauls last year during the season (new bushings, bearings, balljoints and tie rod ends... then used engine, coil overs, front swaybar), so for the winter there wasn't a tremendous amount of work to do.

Done:

-oil pan that doesn't leak
-an abundance of used tires
-a single set of new tires
-replaced blown transmission mount, torque axis mount

In progress:

-new swaybar brackets
-new exhaust that doesn't leak
-custom seat bracket for sparco sprint (I need headroom)
-5 pt. harness
-hood/roof swap with new windshield :(
Travis
DrSeuss

Post by DrSeuss »

Hmm, not too much on my car. I swapped in an Acura Integra power steering system (rack, subframe, pump, lines, etc) and bumped up the spring rates to 500 and 450 lbs/in front and rear respectively. I'm starting a nice collection of Eibach ERS springs. Picked up some used Hoosiers but I'll put them on much later in the season.
TubeDriver

Post by TubeDriver »

Nothing. I think I have a bad axle (judging by the clicking noise). I suppose I should fix this.
Tie your shoes, Drive your car, Love your girl!
--
WideSpread Panic
Gonz

Post by Gonz »

TubeDriver wrote:Nothing. I think I have a bad axle (judging by the clicking noise). I suppose I should fix this.
you had better hope I'm not teching when your jalopy shows up with a blown axle :twisted: :shock: :D

unless you want to go for FTD in the "rental MG midget......." :lol:
sti robot

Post by sti robot »

-2nd set of wheels with RE040's :)
-Spent to much time on the digital gauge project (http://www.robotmeter.com/dokuwiki)
-Camber plates and real alignment (as in, not done by me in my garage)
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

We're getting down to the wire here. We managed to mock up our front suspension using a spare OEM strut from an '05 STi. That let us try out our new wheels and check tire clearances. However, we have not received the parts that we ordered from Megan Racing almost 4 weeks ago. If we are lucky, the parts will show up tomorrow, just in time to get the car together this weekend and do some testing/alignment next week.
Mike M
kyle.bowker
Site Admin
Car: 1991 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 91

Post by kyle.bowker »

BugBomb wrote:we have not received the parts that we ordered from Megan Racing almost 4 weeks ago
Good luck. My friend Nicki has waited over 4 months for her coilovers to arrive from Megan Racing.
BugBomb

The L has emerged.

Post by BugBomb »

We finally got our parts from Megan Racing today. Jake and I just finished the car and took it for a test drive. Now it's off to get aligned and figure out why the new intake is causing the engine to stall occasionally when the car is in neutral. So far there is a noticeable improvement in the feel of the car, but not necessarily the overall ability.
Mike M
EvoLex
Car: Galant VR4 (796/1000)
CDC Member#: 463

Post by EvoLex »

I actually got rid of my Evolution VIII and picked up a MINT 1992 Galant VR4. Hopefully she will be road worthy enough, for our first event.
Wade Chamberlain
Car: FFR Cobra, Vortech-blown
CDC Member#: 193

Post by Wade Chamberlain »

Holy crap...I started reading all the mods that Fred had done and was getting worried.....then I realized this was LAST year. Phew. 8-)
Wade Chamberlain
FFR Cobra, CDC# 193
FredK

Post by FredK »

I've grown a lot. Last year I was cocky, and thought it was fun to throw down, well that really didn't work out for me. This year I just wish all my brothers and sisters in the autocross world happiness and tranquility. I'm going to meditate now.

I believe my car will fulfill it's destiny in this world. Bless you all.
DaveL20
Car: 2001 Ford Focus
CDC Member#: 189

Post by DaveL20 »

FredK wrote:I've grown a lot. Last year I was cocky, and thought it was fun to throw down, well that really didn't work out for me. This year I just wish all my brothers and sisters in the autocross world happiness and tranquility. I'm going to meditate now.

I believe my car will fulfill it's destiny in this world. Bless you all.
Until you get beat the first time.
Ourisman Chrysler Dodge Jeep
2009 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Under Champion
2010 EMRA Time Trial Tuner Over Champion
Money can't buy you love but it can buy lots and lots of horsepower.
BugBomb

Post by BugBomb »

Mike M
ButtDyno
Car: 2006 Evo MR | 1999 ///M3
CDC Member#: 199

Post by ButtDyno »

Same project as every year:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1594875

With the bonus of starting to fix all the stuff on the M3 that needed fixing :)
Autocross. Serious business.
project:BDR
Unofficial CDC PAX Results page