121-125whp
10%

Total votes: 10

AJ_RDR_Civic
Car: '95 Honda Civic EX
CDC Member#: 0

Going to dyno on Thursday, HP guesses?

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

I'm asking on some other forums and figure why not ask here especially since my car falls right into SB class for this club..

Earlier in the year I won an hour of free dyno time with a local shop from the SCCA Washington D.C. Region AutoX club. I'm finally going to put it to use and get some numbers from my car. Anyone care to make some guesses? I'll give you a nice hairy, dirty, sticky, moldy cookie if you're right! lol

Engine info:
Original D16Z6 with 210k miles (Manual trans), runs great.
AEM Short Ram Intake
DC Sports 4-2-1 ceramic header
Magnaflow 2.25" cat-back exhaust

If my research is correct, these motors stock put out around 105whp. With the higher mileage, abuse and the minor mods I'll make a somewhat conservative guess that it'll make 110whp. I think I'd be happy with that. Anything under that and I'll definitely end up rebuilding the motor this winter to original stock specs and new parts.

I've come up with an average with what everyone's been saying(I'm asking outside of this forum too) and the average is 103.7whp so far.

I'm still staying confident in my motor. A buddy of mine that has a national competitive hatch Si with the same motor/mods but rebuilt and ECU tune made 125whp with 10k miles on it. He's also said he's seen other similar motor/mod cars with ~200k miles go as high as 114whp. A fellow moderator on another forum said he's always seen stock D16's pull around 105whp. I'm reeeally hoping mine's kinda up there(not 115whp+ but still high for what it is), it does feel real good when I'm racing but only the dyno will tell...

Now I don't know anything about dyno's but a buddy of mine said the dyno I'm running on is a Dyno Dynamics which he calls, and I quote, "the heartbreaker" lol. He actually guessed I'll make 96whp/78wtq on it. Don't know if that dyno will change any of your opinions.
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Re: Going to dyno on Thursday, HP guesses?

Post by 03threefiftyz »

I'll guess in the 105-110whp area. Uncorrected dyno dynamics tend to read about 7-10% less than a dynojet. My car makes 260whp on a dynodynamics (uncorrected) and 282whp on a dynojet SAE for comparison.
D_Eclipse9916
Car: 1999 BMW M3
CDC Member#: 486

Post by D_Eclipse9916 »

03threefiftyz wrote:I'll guess in the 105-110whp area. Uncorrected dyno dynamics tend to read about 7-10% less than a dynojet. My car makes 260whp on a dynodynamics (uncorrected) and 282whp on a dynojet SAE for comparison.

Lol is it PTuning you got the free session from? I ran mine on the dyno dynamics and made 223WHP, then after found out it wasnt NASA legal, so I need to get dynoed again this time on a legal dyno. Kinda scared what ill put down, but I know im down on power simply from videos on track with other m3s catching me hard on the second half of the straight.

Im guessing on the heartbreaker dyno 101.6whp.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Nah I got the dyno time from York Automotive Inc in Mt. Airy.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:Nah I got the dyno time from York Automotive Inc in Mt. Airy.
So now I have to deal with the fact that you kick my butt with street tires and less horsepower.

For the record, my Miata put down 105 on Ed York's dyno in mid November.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Now can you see why I made a big fuss about allowing the little sohc v-takks in SB? Fairly low hp and I'm sure I'll make even less tq :?

It sounds like a freshly built prepped SCCA ST motor can make around 125whp. Since SB is technically open to anything but swaps and boost, in theory I could make a significant amount more HP doing an all out motor build. But, I'm looking to stay within ST specs so don't worry about that. Plus, I'm sure a well built Miata can make a decent amount of power and more tq than a civic. Not that it really makes a big difference on the small lots. Tire still > than power...
FredK
Car: Factory Five Cobra

Post by FredK »

Tire pressure and temp will make a difference too. I'm guessing 1 hp more than my Miata. What time are you going?
Fred
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

FredK wrote:Tire pressure and temp will make a difference too. I'm guessing 1 hp more than my Miata. What time are you going?
Fred
3pm tomorrow. Why? You down for a dyno race? :mrgreen: I wonder if I could get them to dyno another car too...I mean I don't think getting numbers for my car will really take an hour since I'm not tuning anything...
FredK

Post by FredK »

They like Miatas, I'll do it if they'll let us. I'll give them a free alignment @ Andrewtech.(kidding)
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

FredK wrote:They like Miatas, I'll do it if they'll let us. I'll give them a free alignment @ Andrewtech.(kidding)
If you're serious I'll call them tomorrow morning and see if they'll let me use 2 cars for the dyno time. I can call you and let you know what they say, I still have your number unless you changed it recently..
03threefiftyz
Car: Nissan 350Z
CDC Member#: 533

Post by 03threefiftyz »

FredK wrote:They like Miatas, I'll do it if they'll let us. I'll give them a free alignment @ Andrewtech.(kidding)
You sure you remember how to put the top up on the Miata? A bit of chilly drive with it down :lol:
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

You didn't put an option for my pick AJ =P I thinking 85 whp.

If you want to do it Friday, I can bring the MR2 (if they have time that day, I'll throw down for my dyno time) and you, Fred and I can battle it out for the lowest hp.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

flohtingPoint wrote:You didn't put an option for my pick AJ =P I thinking 85 whp.

If you want to do it Friday, I can bring the MR2 (if they have time that day, I'll throw down for my dyno time) and you, Fred and I can battle it out for the lowest hp.
haha well I didn't even think of running 2 cars until now. I set up an appointment with them for tomorrow at 3 which works best for me. Lowest HP war would be fun though!
flohtingPoint
Car: 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS
CDC Member#: 485

Post by flohtingPoint »

AJ_RDR_Civic wrote:
flohtingPoint wrote:You didn't put an option for my pick AJ =P I thinking 85 whp.

haha well I didn't even think of running 2 cars until now. I set up an appointment with them for tomorrow at 3 which works best for me. Lowest HP war would be fun though!
Maybe I'll take the MR2 to them later in the year. I think it'd be an all out slugwar though, definitely. The MR2 is VERY lethargic. I think Fred's car would would be the highest and then it'd come down to ours. I think my torque would be higher but your hp would be above mine.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

haha yeah I got you all beat on tq! :lol:
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

Results are in!

93whp @ 6400-6800rpm and 79wtq @ 5800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYucQ0t2NcI

Atleast 12-15whp under what it should be making, atleast from this dyno's results. My buddy who's ran his mcoupe on this dyno knows what the real power output is and said he'd do the math on it for me. Still though, not making the power it should. No real surprise. So now my research will continue on for either a new motor or rebuild..

Oh and just because it just came in today, my new battery since my old one died.
Old one

Not as light but half the price of the old one and a better CCA rating. Works for me lol.
FredK

Post by FredK »

That's pathetic! Now I really want to know what the Miata has.
AJ_RDR_Civic

Post by AJ_RDR_Civic »

haha well I'm sure it'd make more than me atleast :)

I need more stickers so I can haz more power....