Local Engine Machine Shop Recommendations?

Discuss all things auto related.
CONEV8R
Car: 2000 Acura Integra
CDC Member#: 513

Local Engine Machine Shop Recommendations?

Post by CONEV8R »

Hey y'all.

I'm in the process of pulling my engine to rebuild it, and I need your help. I'm looking for recommendations for engine shops in the DC area -- preferably in Northern VA, but I'm willing to go farther for better/less expensive work.

I'm looking to have some machine work done on the head and the block. For the head: basically just to make sure everything is good and flat and square and the way it should be. For the block, I'd like to have the cylinders honed and bored to the first service point, as well as have the top (head mating surface) milled for flatness. Also, will want both pieces hot tanked.

If anyone knows of a good, reasonably priced shop in the area to do this, any suggestions/recommendations are very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dan
- Dan C. 2000.I.GS_R.#513
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Local Engine Machine Shop Recommendations?

Post by echan »

I've had good results with both Performance Machine in Springfield, VA (near the Springfield Costco) and C & M Machine Shop in Alexandria, VA (Route 1 just North of Ft. Belvior).

Both shops are good. However, I"m not sure about cost. I tend to be able to pay the bill but I'm always happier if it were cheaper. The bill always seems to be a black art when calculating the price. In either case, I think both shops are honest and not out to charge unfair prices.