Racing shoes!

Discuss all things auto related.
Speed Junky

Racing shoes!

Post by Speed Junky »

I'm looking to invest in a pair of racing shoes, any advice on what to look for and maybe a good brand????
bugman1964

Re: Racing shoes!

Post by bugman1964 »

If they don't have to be fire resistant Puma has a line of shoes that look exactly like racing shoes and are the same width and sole as racing shoes as well.
The views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily represent the
views or policies of Capital Driving Club.
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

bugman1964 wrote:If they don't have to be fire resistant Puma has a line of shoes that look exactly like racing shoes and are the same width and sole as racing shoes as well.
And they cost half as much too. I have a $10 pair of shoes I have used as driving shoes for years. They are wearing out and starting to stink after 6 years, so I bought a pair of Pumas ~60 and a pair of Sparcos ~150. The Sparcos are not an appreciably better driving shoe than the Pumas from a feel perspective and are seriously uncomfortable to walk around in since the sole is super thin. For Auto-X, just get some Pumas or other similar styled shoe and save the money. I bought the Sparcos because I am heading towards a full suit and wanted a set of shoes I could keep clean (free of grease, oil, and other flammable things) and dry in the car for track days only.

Keep in mind that Auto-X and heel-toe is likely to smudge your Puma so don't get all hung up on them looking pretty.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

Chuck Taylors. Adidas Samba. Asics mexico 66. Wrestling or fencing shoe.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

I wear Nike Free running shoes and they are great.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Sky Render
Car: 2011 Mustang 5.0
CDC Member#: 750

Post by Sky Render »

Vince (#750)
Grey 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0

I'm slow.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

I have some cheap Sparcos I picked up from OG Racing for ~$75. Similar to the ones Vince linked. They're not fire retardant or anything but they fit and they work much much better than the trailrunners I was using before. And they're red and say "SPARCO" in huge letters down the side. I figure it gives me at least an extra 10hp ;)

Caitlin and Mike both have the Puma driftcats or something like that. They're very similar to the Sparcos but have a little more support which makes them easier to wear around at the event. I only wear my Sparcos when I'm actually driving. Any other time during the event I try and wear my tennis shoes. Sometimes the Puma outlet in Leesburg is doing big sales and you can get them for cheap.
--Nick D