Shop for custom alignment?

Discuss all things auto related.
Kinickie
Car: 2013 Toyobaru
CDC Member#: 569

Shop for custom alignment?

Post by Kinickie »

I'm taking the 18" wheels off of my MINI, replacing them with 17"s, and removing the steering limiter that MINI installs with the JCW 18"s. After the limiter's removed I'll need an alignment.

I would normally just go to Mach V in Sterling, but it doesn't look like they'll be able to fit me in before this weekend's T&T. I want to make sure the place will use the right specs for the JCW suspension, and was planning to provide the spec sheet from MINI. Can anyone suggest a good place to get a custom alignment done?
echan
Car: 1973 Triumph TR6
CDC Member#: 4

Re: Shop for custom alignment?

Post by echan »

Check with AndrewTech in Gaithersburg (although that may be far for you). If you use them, make sure you tell them that you are a CDC Member (they might give you a discount).

Ed
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

RoadRaceTech in Dulles is where I go (and is close to Mach V if that is where you live)
http://www.roadracetech.com/contact.php

They did my R53 JCW this morning with 0" toe all around which as you probably know is 'custom'.
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(
Kinickie
Car: 2013 Toyobaru
CDC Member#: 569

Post by Kinickie »

For various reasons Friday is now out for me. I ended up just getting an appointment with Mach V at a later date. Thanks for the great suggestions though! It's always a good idea to know a couple of good shops :)
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

Kinickie wrote:I want to make sure the place will use the right specs for the JCW suspension, and was planning to provide the spec sheet from MINI.
Are the factory specs for that package actually aggressive enough for competition use? With McStruts, I figure that a performance alignment would be well outside of the ranges that the factory would put on a car, even on a "performance" package.
ACoopeR
Car: 2005 Mini Cooper S R53
CDC Member#: 632

Post by ACoopeR »

I don't know if the jcw suspension option changes the factory settings (only thing i can think of is that as you are lower with the jcw suspension you should see a bit more negative camber), but when i am done everything is 'red' with respect to the factory settings according to the computer
otherwise i get comical camber wear even with a mix of street and autoX and track and a lag in the reaction from a steering input

i have found the following to work for me, your mileage may vary:
max out the front camber (negative)
minimize the rear camber (basically the minimum length of the stock control arm's adjustment range) you should still end up negative
zero toe front and rear, in my opinion the car should come like this as it really wakes up the steering response!

i haven't noticed anything but better tire wear; i do have a 40 mile highway commute but it isn't wandering everywhere without toe in...
Mods: I have some. They make me :-) I am now broke :-(