ECU

Discuss all things auto related.
Dan133
Car: PruneJuice MazdaConeMower
CDC Member#: 133

ECU

Post by Dan133 »

Just got my ECU back from DP Tuning for the second time. Sent it out to have the rev limiter bumped. For the second time it appears unchanged. Looking for a way to check the RPM's beyond simply reading the tach. Appreciate any ideas.
Be fun, have safe! - Mike Moran
moxnix
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 0

Re: ECU

Post by moxnix »

OBDII reader?

I know with torque and a bluetooth OBDII adapter I can read RPM's on most OBDII cars.
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

If you have a GPS you can get exact actual speed and knowing your final drive and gear ratios you could probably work backwards to get RPM. Seems like there has to be an easier way though...
--Nick D
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

Used an OBDII reader the first time and it didn't show any change but
Dptuning says their bench test showed a 650 rpm increase in rev limit. That's why I'm looking for an alternate method.
hufflepuff
Car: 2005 Mazda RX-8
CDC Member#: 512

Post by hufflepuff »

Do they have inductive clip-on handheld tachs? i thought my dad had an old one laying around. i think it may clip over one of your wires like a timing light, but it goes to a hand held meter that gives you rpm.
'05 RX-8 - Autocross, HPDE, and Time Attack
'02 Neon - SCCA Rallycross & DD
http://www.youtube.com/mchuffman/
david.valeri
Car: 1994 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 22

Post by david.valeri »

My tach is off by 600+ RPMs at redline. I don't know if the NB tach is similarly useless.

Some timing lights have an RPM readout. You can use that as well. On mine I need to divide the displayed number by two because of the wasted spark setup. Errr wait... those newfangled NBs have some sort of semi coil on plug setup so your mileage may vary on that suggestion.

An OBDII scanner that can view live data would give you the RPM as well. Not all can do live readouts. You could call your local autozone, napa, advance and ask if their loaner reader can do live data. If so, that should be a free option.

Did you have them alter the map or just the redline?
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

david.valeri wrote:My tach is off by 600+ RPMs at redline. I don't know if the NB tach is similarly useless.

Some timing lights have an RPM readout. You can use that as well. On mine I need to divide the displayed number by two because of the wasted spark setup. Errr wait... those newfangled NBs have some sort of semi coil on plug setup so your mileage may vary on that suggestion.

An OBDII scanner that can view live data would give you the RPM as well. Not all can do live readouts. You could call your local autozone, napa, advance and ask if their loaner reader can do live data. If so, that should be a free option.

Did you have them alter the map or just the redline?
He supposedly altered both-- more low end torque and a 7800 rpm rev limit. I can't really tell if there is any more power and it doesn't appear that the rev limit has been changed but I want to make sure of that before I get upset/unpleasant. He had the ECU for 3 weeks this (the second) time.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

It is a shame you never made it to one of the dyno days at Ed York's to get a baseline run in.

Do you mind sharing what they charge for that service? I'm curious what their value proposition is over a full stand alone. I know it still returns OBDII codes, but your engine is not modded enough that you couldn't slap the stock ECU back in long enough to pass emissions.
Dan133

Post by Dan133 »

DP Tuning gets $500 for a rev limit bump/remap. You pay shipping both ways.
david.valeri

Post by david.valeri »

Dan133 wrote:DP Tuning gets $500 for a rev limit bump/remap. You pay shipping both ways.
They better get that thing working at that price.