Anyone want to help replace a Cat. Conv.?

Discuss all things auto related.
Nathan Atkins
Car: 2005 Mazda RX8 Red
CDC Member#: 10

Anyone want to help replace a Cat. Conv.?

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Hey folks, I'm replacing my catalytic converter on the RX8, I'm about 2k miles over the emissions equipment warranty :( but I managed to pick up a basically new cat for $100 with only 1000 miles on it :)

I've never replaced one before, the car is 8 years old, if anyone has any advice or can assist let me know! I need to get it done before the end of January

Thanks!
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Re: Anyone want to help replace a Cat. Conv.?

Post by ericw »

1. Try to unbolt the old cat
2. Break off siezed fasteners with brute strength
3. Bolt in new cat
silver 681
ericw
Car: 1990 Mazda Miata
CDC Member#: 681

Post by ericw »

1.5 would be lots of cursing.. but mine was significantly older than yours. Just get it way up in the air and be careful.
silver 681
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

I'm going to bet that after 8 years there is absolutely no way you're going to be able to "unbolt" the factory cat. The only way forward is heat/grinder/welder/swearing/etc. Honestly... I would call all around and see how much an exhaust shop would charge you to replace it. Might be worth it to have someone else do it. I hate working on old exhausts. It's hard to give advice without knowing what it looks like under there but I would just take an angle grinder to the old bolts and beat the old one outta there with a hammer. Use some new hardware and bolt the new one in.
--Nick D
Areddi
Car: 2013 Scion FR-S
CDC Member#: 650

Post by Areddi »

Yeah you're probably gonna have to cut that bad boy. I have some 6 pt 1/2" drive sockets and a nice breaker bar socket, so I can help you it a try with you if you want to do the bolts and see if we can get them spinning. Soak um in PB Blaster.
Check out my YouTube channel with Autocross videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAreddi
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Well i got the newish cat for a hundred bucks, perhaps i can use some of the 1300 dollars i saved by not buying new and just have it done by somebody ;) Maybe I'm at that station in life where i just do the fun, clean, non-swearing sort of maintenance 8-)
v10climber
Car: STI, JCW Mini, S2k, Miata
CDC Member#: 621

Post by v10climber »

Nathan Atkins wrote:Maybe I'm at that station in life where i just do the fun, clean, non-swearing sort of maintenance 8-)
Some day I'll get it into my stupid head that sometimes it's worth it to pay other people to work on my car. I spent HOURS replacing an exhaust flange on the GTI. Working on 20yr old cars makes me really appreciate the cleanliness of my STI and the mini. That big plastic under tray keeps the underside of the engine bay spotless :D
--Nick D
Nathan Atkins

Post by Nathan Atkins »

Cat replacement today, It was fun and easy since I've got an impact gun! It would have been an SOB without, the car feels like a million bucks now (or at least $6,450 nada ;) ) It actually feels stronger than it ever has, The first stage of the catalyst was completely disintegrated and in pebble sized chunks choking down the second stage, Nasty!